Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWDC 2015

• 14-04-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Invites went out today. I think that looks like an Apple TV in the image

wwdc_2015_roundup.jpg

Along with the tagline "The Epicentre of change" I'm thinking new ATV with an app store (hopefully plex would be available) focusing on home kit control & also gaming. If apple got into the gaming industry, everything changes. iPhones & iPod touches as controllers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Seems like we've been waiting for Apple's big move into the TV market forever. I'm not sure this is it. Or if it is it's just the first step. There's not a whole lot of competition on the hardware front. Everyone is too focused on content. I may be wrong but I get the feeling an Apple TV SDK may still be a bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I don't think they're gonna do a screen (although could you imagine 8k retina in a 42/50 inch model???)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don’t think they should do a television but they probably will.

It’s the box I’m most interested in. What’s out there at the moment is pretty crap. Nobody really knows what else to do with a box than stick a bunch of services on it. They are so focused on content they aren’t giving any thought to the hardware. Apple could do something truly game-changing with it.

On the services front, I’m excited about the integration of Beats. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for it to arrive here. Speaking of which, where the hell are TV shows on the Irish iTunes Store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hoping we see the new music streaming service and that it gets a quick release outside the U.S!

We know they're going to do something with home kit. It's a logical move for them, I think they're going to look at gaming. The A8 processor is better than the one in a PS4. If they put in some decent memory (already mooted) and an airport router in there (for network speed) with an app store where you could buy & download the games (mooted), they could be a very serious challenge for Microsoft & Sony.

Nintendo have already announced they plan to start porting games to iOS. On the app store Apple have lifted the 2gb limit on apps & almost immediately Disney released Disney infinity (3.68gb) for iPad & iPhone.

Look at the Wii U, that has a bluetooth controller not unlike the iPad mini. I'm hoping that's the direction they're going to go in.

• Advertisement

I think so too. I’m just not so sure they’re going to do it now. Although if they are, WWDC is definitely the place to do it.

The controller poses a problem, though. Having it require an iPhone or other (presumedly recent) iOS device seems far from ideal. I guess if they want to keep the box cheap that’s the way to go. But I really think it needs a real controller with actual buttons to pose a threat to console gaming, even casual gaming consoles like the Wii.

They could easily launch a dedicated controller at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

OU812 wrote: »
    They could easily launch a dedicated controller at the same time

They need to. The current remote is terrible, and so is the process of using the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone who thinks they can play a game on a TV with a buttonless, non-haptic feedback controller has not played a good game.

Advertisement