Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Macbook for backup via ethernet

Options
  • 09-04-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I have a Macbook Air that I want to backup via Time Machine. I had it backed up to a Time Capsule previously but that died so now I want to back it up to a new external HDD. The initial backup time is a little over 24 hours, which is quite a long time.

So I bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, it was the same price as the normal USB to Ethernet adapter. The problem is the backup is going to take longer when wired than over wifi. That seems wrong to me.

If I connect the Macbook directly to the external HDD via ethernet cable the backup will take approx. 14 days.

If I connect the Macbook to my router and then access the HDD that way (the HDD is already connected to the router) then the backup won't even tell me how long it will take. It just hangs.

Which way is the correct way to set it up?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You could try MacBook straight to HDD over USB but I have a feeling that if you want to back up wirelessly you have to do it again.

Personally, I'd just leave it running for a day to backup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How is the new drive formatted? I presume it's a NAS? Time Machine doesn't always play well with non-HFS+ volumes.
    You may have to make a partition for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

5uspect wrote: »
    How is the new drive formatted? I presume it's a NAS? Time Machine doesn't always play well with non-HFS+ volumes.
    You may have to make a partition for this purpose.

I'll check that out.

Advertisement