Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10.10.3 with Photos for OS X is out!

• 08-04-2015 6:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Check your Software Update.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Updated just now without any issues. Fonts and screen seems sharper somehow on cMBP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I like to list my photos by event and in iPhoto you could view them 'new to old' so your most recent photos are at the top. In Photos though I can;t find a way to do this and they are listed old to new so I have to scroll down through a couple of hundred of events and thousands of photos to get to the latest photos. Fine if you only had to do it once but overtime it's a bit of a pain.

Am I missing something obvious to fix this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Update did not work for me.
    I am unable to restart my Mac :eek:

The black line during restart only goes ⅓ of the way across the screen & then it freezes.

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

2011 wrote: »
    Update did not work for me.
    I am unable to restart my Mac :eek:

The black line during restart only goes ⅓ of the way across the screen & then it freezes.

Any advice appreciated.

Any time machine backups? If so, CMD + R after the startup tone will get you into the recovery menu. If you've no backups then try the steps from Apple's support page here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Any time machine backups? If so, CMD + R after the startup tone will get you into the recovery menu. If you've no backups then try the steps from Apple's support page here

Thanks for the reply.

As it happened it just found itself after an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

This update is taking me hours and hours to download. Never experience such slow speeds from the App store before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Photos is terrible! what are they thinking??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m not happy about the demise of Aperture, but a cloud-based photos app for the Mac was long overdue. iPhoto should have been canned ages ago. Photos is fine and will grow in functionality alongside its iOS counterpart. I suspect a third party app along the lines of Pixelmator will soon fill the gap left by Aperture.

I like to list my photos by event and in iPhoto you could view them 'new to old' so your most recent photos are at the top. In Photos though I can;t find a way to do this and they are listed old to new so I have to scroll down through a couple of hundred of events and thousands of photos to get to the latest photos. Fine if you only had to do it once but overtime it's a bit of a pain.

Am I missing something obvious to fix this?

I managed to change this manually. Took me ages to go through a couple hundred events but have them in the order I want now. Surely there should be an easy way of doing this, maybe we'll get it in an update.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jesus. Didn't realise Photos replaced iPhoto. It's awful, clunky and requires more work to do simple things.

Can anyone recommend a suitable alternate photo management app?

I've been stung by iPhoto before corrupting data so I really need a reliable photo management tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

faceman wrote: »
    Jesus. Didn't realise Photos replaced iPhoto. It's awful, clunky and requires more work to do simple things.

Can anyone recommend a suitable alternate photo management app?

I've been stung by iPhoto before corrupting data so I really need a reliable photo management tool.

Google Picasa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Is that correct that 10.10.3 automatically replaces iPhoto with Photos?
    My 79 year old brother has spent dozens of hours getting iPhoto to work his way after taking my advice to switch to a Mac.
    There would be hell to pay if he had to try to get Photos working to his satisfaction [and I'd be roped in].
    That would mean he'll have to stay at his current version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It'll still be there, but you have to have version 9.6.1 for it to open. If you update without it, you won't be able to open iPhoto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

JonMac wrote: »
    That would mean he'll have to stay at his current version.

If he's happy with the current setup, then why upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Well, I found this quote: At some point you will want to fully migrate all your photos to one or more Photos libraries, because while you can still use iPhoto and Aperture, Apple is no longer providing support and at some point they will cease to work effectively with future OS updates.
    He is only 79 so hopefully a lot of years left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I understand that. However maybe it's not worth upgrading to future OSX versions? If the computer and OS he currently has meets his requirements, then there's a lot to be said for sticking with it. It will still work just as well in 5/10 years time

Location of photos can't be changed either on Photos I don't think. The GPS on my IPhone is obviously a bit wonky and was way off on some shots I took at the weekend but I couldn't find a way to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I notice when using an app like Disk Inventory X to see where HDD space is used on my Mac that my photographs show up in two different libraries; iPhoto and Photos.

I realise that there is really only one because my HDD isn't actually big enough to store two copies. However, the Photos library is 7GB bigger. Do other people notice this? I'm running low on HDD space which is why it is annoying me.

EDIT

Actually I think it is happening because when you make changes in Photos or add new photos it is not reflected in iPhoto.

Advertisement