Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Pro crawling

• 07-04-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

My wife has a 2011 Macbook Pro thats literally unusable right now. Its crawling and I think needs an overhaul. If it was a PC Id rebuild it, but Ive no idea where to start when it comes to a Mac and would really love some help, tips, advice etc on what to do.

Im a techie, but have to admit Im a noob when it comes to a MAC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hey folks,

My wife has a 2011 Macbook Pro thats literally unusable right now. Its crawling and I think needs an overhaul. If it was a PC Id rebuild it, but Ive no idea where to start when it comes to a Mac and would really love some help, tips, advice etc on what to do.

Im a techie, but have to admit Im a noob when it comes to a MAC.

Same happened mine but updated the OS and it worked fine. Anything to do with turning on the wifi and it would just crawl.

Maybe just cut your losses and reboot the system if you still have the CD!!

I was nearly tempted to dump it and invest in a new one but its as good as new now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Same happened mine but updated the OS and it worked fine. Anything to do with turning on the wifi and it would just crawl.

Maybe just cut your losses and reboot the system if you still have the CD!!

I was nearly tempted to dump it and invest in a new one but its as good as new now!

I would, only Ive no idea where we put the original CD. Ive backed up the contents alright but not sure what to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you're a techie, you'll have to give us a bit more information - define crawling?

Open activity monitor and tell us what it says, whats the ram usage, what processes are running. Did you try running disk utility and verifying/repairing disks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Elessar wrote: »
    If you're a techie, you'll have to give us a bit more information - define crawling?

Open activity monitor and tell us what it says, whats the ram usage, what processes are running. Did you try running disk utility and verifying/repairing disks?

Ill post up a full review of whats happening/running tomorrow evening. Ill have my hands on the mac at that stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would, only Ive no idea where we put the original CD. Ive backed up the contents alright but not sure what to do next.

If you do want to try an rebuild the system get a freshly formatted external drive and set it up as a Time Machine backup (you should already be doing this as a matter of course).

With your data safely backed up reboot the machine and press CMD+R to go into Recovery mode. Select install OS X and the Mac will pull down the OS direct from the Internet. They you can restore your Time Machine backup entirely or just your documents.

Ideally however you'll want to figure out what's slowing it down. Look at the Activity Monitor for misbehaving processes, or if you're a techie run top from the terminal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement