Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-virus for OSX 10.5.8?

• 27-03-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi folks,

All of the usual suspects seem to have discontinued support for this old OS.

Can anyone suggest a virus checker for 10.5.8? We're even willing to pay for it!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,681 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You don’t need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Weellll, I know what you mean, but this is for a friend who is, well let's just say he is thorough (anal) and worries that the system is insecure for online banking, etc.

I pointed out that it's not worth anyone's while writing a virus for an obsolete OS, but I don't think I was sufficiently convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

nmacc wrote: »
    Weellll, I know what you mean, but this is for a friend who is, well let's just say he is thorough (anal) and worries that the system is insecure for online banking, etc.
    That doesn't mean one is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

nmacc wrote: »
    I pointed out that it's not worth anyone's while writing a virus for an obsolete OS, but I don't think I was sufficiently convincing.

It's not that no one is writing viruses because it's an old operating system, it's because you can't write viruses for OS X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Suggest you loose Safari and go with a browser that is kept up to date.
    Can he/she not use an app for banking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'd hazard a guess that the Mac being used is an older PPC one. If so then Leopard is as far as it can go OS wise meaning more up to date browsers won't work.

Most of the PUPs around which can get onto a Mac are Adware. For these you can use something like AdwareMedic..

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Elessar

Funny, I was one of the "you don't need one" brigade until my MBP got infected with a worm. And I didn't realise, for months. Macs aren't so safe anymore. No one was more surprised than I was.

ClamXAV is a good one OP. And I would recommend a good firewall, like Little Snitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,681 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Note that Little Snitch isn't a firewall. It blocks outgoing traffic from third party apps. It's typically used to stop hacked apps from phoning home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Zcott wrote: »
    It's not that no one is writing viruses because it's an old operating system, it's because you can't write viruses for OS X.

You can. Compared to windows, OSX is much less vulnerable but it is not immune. Personally, I do not use anti virus software. I am pretty anal about sites I trust, what I download and what I execute but anybody can be caught out. Sandboxing, Gatekeeper and Xprotect go a long way in protecting against viruses but so does an internal app called cop on. One other item to consider is that the default for root user access on OSX is disabled. This can be changed but again if you use the above mentioned internal app, this should not be an issue.

Love OSX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Thanks for the help folks

• Advertisement

I took Elessar's advice and downloaded ClamXAV. Ran it twice and it found 11 phising attacks in emails. I got caught out once, so guess my average is OK.
    I can't see if it scans my Timemachine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

JonMac wrote: »
    I took Elessar's advice and downloaded ClamXAV. Ran it twice and it found 11 phising attacks in emails. I got caught out once, so guess my average is OK.
    I can't see if it scans my Timemachine.

Hi Jonmac

Please explain what the phishing attacks were.

I have deleted the files and don't remember the exact wording. They were all emails with dodgy attachments or references to websites [click here stupid], which is what I did once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

While Macs are fairly virus proof, adware/malware is becoming a problem.

This is a good resource.

No XProtect in 10.5.
    http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-builtin/

XProtect not without its problems
    https://managingosx.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/disabled-java-plugins-xprotect-updater/

iWorm
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/04/iworm-malware-xprotect/

To answer the earlier question, this is what ClamXav is finding in my gmail:

Filename Infection Name Status
    @imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/9C1DFBCC-E8E5-4FE4-9B12-68A16668401A/Data/1/1/Messages/11236.emlx Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain

Filename Infection Name Status
    @imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/9C1DFBCC-E8E5-4FE4-9B12-68A16668401A/Data/3/1/Messages/13314.emlx Email.Phishing.Webmail-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sophos

Advertisement