Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BACK TO EDUCATION ALLOWANCE-BTEA

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I wonder can anyone clarify for me a question I have, I am in receipt of BTEA and studying in university. I am in year 1 of a 4 year degree course. The first year is due to finish in 4 weeks time. I am working while at college doing 20 hours a week, plus get the BTEA which helps me pay my way through college.

Does anyone know the rules regarding working during the summer? I would like to work extra and build my finances for the year ahead while i have the opportunity. I have heard if you work when you re-apply in year two you are means tested from the employment you worked and may lose up to half your BTEA payment???

I would not work at all if this was the case, as I would be worse off when I re-apply.....I know the rules changed in 2013 and again changed in December 2014. It is very confusing and when you ring to clarify you get a different answer with each person that answers.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Citizens Advice

Full web page here.
    BTEA and part-time work

Academic year: If you start part-time work during the academic year your Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) is not affected. However, you should write to your Intreo centre or local social welfare office to tell them when you start work. The part-time work must not affect your studies and college attendance. Your additional income may affect your Rent Supplement, Fuel Allowance or your partner’s payment if they are getting a means-tested payment.

Summer months: If you were getting a One-Parent Family Payment or a disability payment before going back to education your BTEA will continue to be paid over the summer provided you are returning to an approved course and are progressing in your education.

If you were getting a jobseeker’s payment before going back to education your BTEA is not paid over the summer months period between academic years. (It will be paid from the start of the new academic year provided you continue to satisfy the eligibility criteria.) If you work during the summer period your income from part-time or full-time work will be means tested against your BTEA when you resume your BTEA claim. Your BTEA will be affected unless you stop work before resuming your course.

If you are not able to find work during the summer period, you may be entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance. You must meet all the conditions including being capable of work, available for work and genuinely looking for work. If you claim Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) and work part-time your earnings are assessed against your JA.

If you stop work or your work pattern changes you should inform your Intreo centre or local social welfare office so your case can be reassessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Sup08 wrote: »
    Your BTEA will be affected unless you stop work before resuming your course.

As it says above as you are not working come the start of your course - I would say a fortnight before just to be on the safe side - then you are fine. However, if you continue to work, even part time, then it will means tested. Just let the SW know and you should be fine - that is what I did last summer, and will be again this summer and it is fine once you play by the rules.

Advertisement