Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what paint?

• 25-01-2014 7:28pm

Hi

I am going to paint my fireplace in similar fashion to this

colin%20eddery.jpg

I will have a medium sized stove in it and I want to know if I need a special heat resistant paint.

Can anyone advise please?

Suggestions welcomed too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Is it the wall around it you're painting?

dmc17 wrote: »
    Is it the wall around it you're painting?

Yes. It is the wall around it Im painting. Its due for plastering during the week and want to have paint ready.

A good emulsion paint should do the trick. Something hard wearing.

From a quick Google search Link
    We recommend keeping all combustible materials, which includes wooden parts, at least 500mm away from the stove or flue pipe. Plaster and oil-based paints won't stand up to heat, so use cement render and emulsion paint for walls near the stove.

dmc17 wrote: »
    A good emulsion paint should do the trick. Something hard wearing.

From a quick Google search Link

Thanks dmc

Ill remind the plasterer of this when he arrives just in case!!

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    Thanks dmc

Ill remind the plasterer of this when he arrives just in case!!

No worries. Might be no harm get a few more opinions too. You might get someone here who's done it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

When I replaced our open fire with a stove I opened up the original fireplace opening, enlarging it slightly and finished it in sand/ cement (3 coats- scud, scratch and finish coat- rubbed up with a plastic float and finished with a sponge float to give a fine nap). I painted it in Colortrend acrylic, off-white as it happened but it's not the most practical colour. Paint has been fine on the sand/cement in the recess but it has blistered in parts on the chimney breast where it was finished in skimcoat, but overall happy with how it's lasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

When I replaced our open fire with a stove I opened up the original fireplace opening, enlarging it slightly and finished it in sand/ cement (3 coats- scud, scratch and finish coat- rubbed up with a plastic float and finished with a sponge float to give a fine nap). I painted it in Colortrend acrylic, off-white as it happened but it's not the most practical colour. Paint has been fine on the sand/cement in the recess but it has blistered in parts on the chimney breast where it was finished in skimcoat, but overall happy with how it's lasted.

The reason the paint blistered on the skim coat is probably because you used the emulsion neat, straight from the bucket. Right? Did you water down the first coat of emulsion?

With fresh plaster you have to water down the first coat of paint. The plaster really sucks the water out of paint so if you don't water down the first coat it tends to blister.

To answer the painting of the chimney breast question - yes, you can paint it in emulsion just like any other wall, just be sure to water down your first coat, the more water the better! Water it down up to 50% for your first coat then paint as normal once its dried.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Advertisement