Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condenser Dryer and carpet.

Options
  • 23-01-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭

Hello

Just bought a condenser dryer from Power city. http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-8230W&pages=1&prod=8230W&brands=beko&image=

We live in an apartment and are tight on space, so have HAD to put the condenser dryer in the spare bedroom.

The floor in the spare bedroom is carpet. The carpet is a very thin carpet, its not thick or fluffy or raised. I just read the dryer instruction manual and it says , do not place the condenser dryer on carpet ( air circulation etc )

There are legs on the dryer and I un screwed them to give a bit of clearance underneath the dryer so its NOT resting directly on the carpet. The dryer is now 2.2 cm off the floor.

My questions are :

1. Is this safe ?
    i.e is there enough clearance now or is the problem just the carpet, full stop ?

2. If the above is not safe, would it be an idea to put a sheet of wood underneath the machine and rest the legs on this as opposed to resting on the carpet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

2.2 cm clearance would be enough I think. The issue about not placing on carpet is that the dryer air intake is at the bottom - carpets with a heavy pile would block or limit the air intake and could cause overheating. As your carpet is thin and you have a decent clearance anyway it should be fine.

If you are still concerned, get a piece of ply cut to size and place it on that. I had one on carpet previously (thin carpet also) but what I did notice was that the condensation/water stained the carpet. Its also very difficult to empty the water catcher without spilling some of it (unless you empty it very often when its only partially filled) and that stained the carpet also. So I placed it on a piece of wood and now the wood catches the condensation or water spills and the carpet is fine. Lino would also work fine - I used wood as the floor was a bit uneven and the wood gave me a better/firmer base for the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks very much for that excellent reply.

So you think I should be good so with the 2.2 cm clearance.

I might think about the plywood and lino option.

Could I just go in to a hardware shop and ask them to cut me a square of plywood ?

Dunno where I would get Lino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A piece of ply/osb board will do the trick just nicely, adjust the feet so its sitting good and be in business.

WikiHow wrote: »
    A piece of ply/osb board will do the trick just nicely, adjust the feet so its sitting good and be in business.

Hello, what is OSB ?

Could I just go in to a hardware shop and ask them to cut me a square of plywood ?

or would I need to go to a different kind of shop .

obi604 wrote: »
    Hello, what is OSB ?

or would I need to go to a different kind of shop .
    Osb board is an engineered board made from wood particles, it would be a little bit cheaper than ply, i dont think many hardware shops would have a cutting facility, any timber DIY outlet would be able to supply and cut it for you no problem.

• Advertisement

Osb board is an engineered board made from wood particles, it would be a little bit cheaper than ply, i dont think many hardware shops would have a cutting facility, any timber DIY outlet would be able to supply and cut it for you no problem.

Thanks, can you give me a name of a timber DIY outlet in Dublin /

I cant help you there sorry, im sure some one will be able to help you, a kitchen company would be a good bet too and if they couldn't help you they could send you in the right direction. :)

I cant help you there sorry, im sure some one will be able to help you, a kitchen company would be a good bet too and if they couldn't help you they could send you in the right direction. :)

Anyone else ? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Goslins in Cabra, Goodwins in Lucan and Mulhuddart will definitely have what you want and will cut it to size for you.
    Woodies, also, though I can't guarantee they'll cut it for you, but no harm in asking. :)

Here are some pics of the dryer and the clearance. Any thoughts on if this warrants being placed on a sheet of plywood.

• Advertisement

Here are some pics of the dryer and the clearance. Any thoughts on if this warrants being placed on a sheet of plywood.

Anyone on this ; )

Anyone on this ; )
    You have said in your opening post that the instruction manual says it should not be placed on carpet so i think you should follow the instructions and guidelines.
    I just read the dryer instruction manual and it says , do not place the condenser dryer on carpet ( air circulation etc )

You have said in your opening post that the instruction manual says it should not be placed on carpet so i think you should follow the instructions and guidelines.

ok, fair enough, but its not placed directly on the carpet, its risen off the carpet .......and im just simply wondering if its risen enough..........

ok, fair enough, but its not placed directly on the carpet, its risen off the carpet .......and im just simply wondering if its risen enough..........
    Its like saying how long a piece of string is, there is attic boards you can buy, they come in small sizes open to correction but think they are 3 feet by 1 foot and come in pack of 3, any diy store will have these and they are super cheap.

Its like saying how long a piece of string is, there is attic boards you can buy, they come in small sizes open to correction but think they are 3 feet by 1 foot and come in pack of 3, any diy store will have these and they are super cheap.

Not really, as I am giving very specific details and even pictures from different angles :))

Not really, as I am giving very specific details and even pictures from different angles :))
    Maybe the best thing would be to bring those pictures to Powercity and leave them decide it for you as they are the ones you will be dealing with if you have any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Any B&Q will cut timber to size for you. Select size closest to your requirements, bring to cutting area and tell them size needed. Think first two cuts are free, something like a euro per cut after.

Snaggerman wrote: »
    Any B&Q will cut timber to size for you. Select size closest to your requirements, bring to cutting area and tell them size needed. Think first two cuts are free, something like a euro per cut after.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

there is no issue with using the dryer here. But as above, it is the staining of the carpet that will be the concern.

Don't worry about the wood. Maybe a bit of plastic bag will be all that's needed.

whizbang wrote: »
    there is no issue with using the dryer here. But as above, it is the staining of the carpet that will be the concern.

Don't worry about the wood. Maybe a bit of plastic bag will be all that's needed.

Thanks. So you think the clearance and the carpet type is not a danger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Clondalkin providers? also the others mentioned
    Snaggerman wrote: »

Someone beat me to this, I prefer to go to a builders providers, but B&Q have their good points too.
    Personally wouldn't put plastic under it, while there looks like enough clearance, I'd go with getting a cut of that Osb or even mdf, you could paint it to seal it as I think either will absorb moisture if it spills on it.
    Not sure if you have to buy the sheet or if they cut off sizes and price them per length and cut? but if there is excess it might be worth keeping for something else, but as space might be tight, maybe not either.

Be handy if you could get a free offcut from somewhere/someone.

How come it didnt fit in the kitchen? was there a space?

cerastes wrote: »
    Clondalkin providers? also the others mentioned

Someone beat me to this, I prefer to go to a builders providers, but B&Q have their good points too.
    Personally wouldn't put plastic under it, while there looks like enough clearance, I'd go with getting a cut of that Osb or even mdf, you could paint it to seal it as I think either will absorb moisture if it spills on it.
    Not sure if you have to buy the sheet or if they cut off sizes and price them per length and cut? but if there is excess it might be worth keeping for something else, but as space might be tight, maybe not either.

Be handy if you could get a free offcut from somewhere/someone.

How come it didnt fit in the kitchen? was there a space?

Hi. Thanks. Is osb and mdf in simple terms, just some form of plywood ?

No space in kitchen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi. Thanks. Is osb and mdf in simple terms, just some form of plywood ?

No space in kitchen for it.

Hi Obi604,

In regards to your dryer on a carpet question you have been given some very good advice.

Nobody can tell you (except maybe if they were to do a home visit and AFAIK no posters on here do home visits) if the set up you have will impinge or impede the functions of your dryer.

The manufacturer guidelines advise not to site it on carpet maybe for the reasons detailed by the posters above.

Standing it on plywood/osb was good advice, and a simple google search will show images and information as to the many different types of particle board and suppliers of same.

You may want waterproof board, you may want chipboard as a temporary arrangement, you may want to remove the carpet from the area in question and install ceramic tile.

There are so many questions that this scenario throws up that ultimately no answer will answer your array of questions 100%.

OP did you get Powercitys perspective on the matter?

OP did you get Powercitys perspective on the matter?

No, not yet. But have a feeling they will just tell me to contact the manafacturer.

Advertisement