Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Political Party

Options
  • 18-06-2010 12:00am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if the title is a tad bit misleading! What would it take though, for a considerable group of disgruntled middle income earners to band together and set up a political party?

I'm sure people have considered thoughts of such a venture, but going up against career politicans wouldn't be the easiest of tasks, while also considering time, finance and policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Sorry if the title is a tad bit misleading! What would it take though, for a considerable group of disgruntled middle income earners to band together and set up a political party?

I'm sure people have considered thoughts of such a venture, but going up against career politicans wouldn't be the easiest of tasks, while also considering time, finance and policy.

Why middle income earners?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Why middle income earners?

Shouldn't have generalised. I'll open it to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Join an existing Political party and change it from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Funding would be your biggest problem- running political parties ain't cheap and you can only rely on voluntarism for so long.

Its not to say it can't be done but if you look at how the PDs ended up then you'll see its fraught with difficulties, especially when the party is tiny in comparison to FF/FG/Lab- the Greens may well learn this lesson too at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

RATM wrote: »
    Funding would be your biggest problem- running political parties ain't cheap and you can only rely on voluntarism for so long.

Unless....

full_0597_Brown%20Paper%20Bag%20Envelope%20(4%201_2%20x%206%203_8).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Unless your party was around at the time of the Civil War you have about as much chance of getting into government as Ireland has of ever winning the eurovision again.

Which is sad people in this country dont vote for whats best just stick to their old stupid ways.

If we ever see a general election, it won't be soon enough. I bet Eamon Gilmore is delighted with himself and the fun going on with FF, FG and the Greens. Can see Labour doing well next time around unless things go pear shaped for them too.

As for a new party having a chance, I bet brutal honesty and a good spin doctor could potentially do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

300 official signups and off you go. Or convince an existing TD or MEP or three councillors to officially defect to your cause. This question gets asked about once a month here as it's one of those questions that people just turn up and ask here.

The citizensinformation site has a handy guide to it here. Apart from where prints the cheapest flyers etc (which is outside of the remit of this forum), that's all you need to know.

The alternative of course is to set up an online blog and pretend you have more members than you have. That's quite popular too, I've seen a number of sites that are quite obviously one man and an optional dog operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here ye go ...... join up ......

http://pirateparty.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Eamon Guilmore is due a change soon, he might be interested.

He started life with connections to Sinn Fein (so i read anywhere), he got involved in politics first with the Workers Party between 1985 and 1992, then he was involved with Democratic Left between 1992 and 1999 and has been with Labour since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

http://www.amhrannua.com/

I havent read through all their policies yet so I can't tell you much about them and can't recommend them but there are people out there trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

a Concerned Taxpayers Union :) (CTU for short)

its a surprise that none of the parties are trying to take advantage of the segment of the population that is being taxed heavily for the mistakes of others

and will receive more shafting overtime

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    a Concerned Taxpayers Union :) (CTU for short)

its a surprise that none of the parties are trying to take advantage of the segment of the population that is being taxed heavily for the mistakes of others

and will receive more shafting overtime

No one should be getting special treatment. What about the people who have/are being unemployed heavily for the mistakes of others? levied heavily for the mistakes of others? indebted heavily for the mistakes of others? I'm a tax payer and I dont feel I need special representation as such.

Saying that, if Jack Bauer was to run the CTU then they'd get my vote

No one should be getting special treatment. What about the people who have/are being unemployed heavily for the mistakes of others? levied heavily for the mistakes of others? indebted heavily for the mistakes of others? I'm a tax payer and I dont feel I need special representation as such.

as a taxpayer I want to see better value for money (because we are getting none)

* stop with stupid bailouts
    * improve services via reform
    * cutback on waste in the PS
    * better economic polices that would ensure we dont endup in same **** again

BTW Labour represent the Unions, why should they be allowed "special representation"

aint that the point of governments, to represent the people, and the taxpayers are a subset of these

as a taxpayer I want to see better value for money (because we are getting none)

* stop with stupid bailouts
    * improve services via reform
    * cutback on waste in the PS
    * better economic polices that would ensure we dont endup in same **** again

BTW Labour represent the Unions, why should they be allowed "special representation"

aint that the point of governments, to represent the people, and the taxpayers are a subset of these

Yep a subset.

As a citizen I want to see better value for money (because we are getting none)

Yep a subset.

As a citizen I want to see better value for money (because we are getting none)

maybe we should do away with large governments altogether :D

Where did you get the idea that I support BIG government?? :)
    One advantage claimed by Social Capitalism is an increased stability of economies that results from careful government regulation. Regulation should be as limited as possible so that Tier-One participants can generate the greatest GDP. However, regulation is needed to ensure that individuals do not exploit markets for personal gain at the expense of market growth and stability.
    policy based upon empirical evidence instead of the ideological speculation.... "to realise the full potential of those from every background according to their ability and inclination."

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

How about the Somali model? They dont have big government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

I thought he did at one stage, could be wrong though, might only have been a temp appointment.

• Advertisement

danman wrote: »
    I thought he did at one stage, could be wrong though, might only have been a temp appointment.

He did at one stage but they never truly appreciated him. Is Bauer the Enda Kenny of counter terrorism?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

He did at one stage but they never truly appreciated him. Is Bauer the Enda Kenny of counter terrorism?? :)

To be honest, I find it hard visualising Enda taking the top off a boiled egg, let alone putting a bullet into a scumbags head.

It's been an amazing week, I go away for 7 days with no media outlets, and all hell breaks loose in FG...??

It's taken me all day to catch up.

As for a new party.
    I thought about a DonegalFella type party a while back. But I don't think that I could swing that far right, just yet.
    I'm heading in that direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

If there was to be a new political party, i would love to hear them come out and say that we are over represented in this country and cut back numbers who are elected dramitically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've often heard people on here express interest about a new political party. We seem to have the mentality that a new party would be the saviour of Ireland and be great. But knowing Irish politics, I think it's fair to say that any new political party that comes about would just be the same old typical Irish party like FF and FG. Unless you trully get people who can turn peoples eyes and are charismatic to join a new political party, it won't change things. I'd like to see a new liberal political party, but unless their ideologies and people are different from the people in politics now. There's no real hope.

Advertisement