Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Come back, Ireland! All is forgiven!

• 17-06-2010 7:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I wonder whether things with the euro and all could ever get so bad that Ireland fell back on its ultimate safety net: going cap in hand to London and requesting re-integration into the UK. Think about it. There could be a 32-county devolved administration along the same lines as Scotland, the euro would be replaced by the pound. The Unionists in the North would have no basis to object to being ruled by Dublin. The longsuffering British taxpayer would take on Ireland's debts. How about it, lads? Back to the Future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

The early houses are open , think ya need a few drinks to get your brain back to some sort of sane reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

To be honest....no.
    People will do whatever it takes to make a system work. There probably are a number of options available to us, but that's not one of them. It's a bit like saying........if things get really bad in the Eastern European countries, they'll go cap in hand back to Russia.
    Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No thanks.

We are in the process of getting rid of Scotland and NI, we don't want any more hangers on thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

No thanks.

We are in the process of getting rid of Scotland and NI, we don't want any more hangers on thank you :D

glad to hear your getting rid of NI , never seen you as a pursuer of Irish unity , but better late to the party than not at all .

danbohan wrote: »
    glad to hear your getting rid of NI , never seen you as a pursuer of Irish unity , but better late to the party than not at all .

That's because you pre judge me.

Hating the IRA and the SF leadership does not mean I am against Irish unification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Don't think so. The longsuffering British taxpayer has enough on his/her plate, and very few people apart from INM would support such a move. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

danbohan wrote: »

we don't care where it goes, as long as it goes.

if a single nation state on the Island of Ireland is the quickest/best/cheapest/most peacefull way to acheive that then fine, if not then we're open to other suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I wonder whether things with the euro and all could ever get so bad that Ireland fell back on its ultimate safety net: going cap in hand to London and requesting re-integration into the UK. Think about it. There could be a 32-county devolved administration along the same lines as Scotland, the euro would be replaced by the pound. The Unionists in the North would have no basis to object to being ruled by Dublin. The longsuffering British taxpayer would take on Ireland's debts. How about it, lads? Back to the Future?
    Only if HMG provided a legal route to secession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

UK, nah.

I want us to declare we are part of Germany now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

UK, nah.

Judged by the way the EU works,we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Have them take us on, clear the debts, build a few schools and hospitals, unify the country - and then secede again after a couple of years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

bmaxi wrote: »
    Judged by the way the EU works,we are.
    If we were part of Germany, wouldn't we be electing representatives to a German parliament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Play your cards right and it will be England coming cap in hand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Love how this troll isnt banned/thread deleted. Really shows what west-brit boards allows:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 top of the morning

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Love how this troll isnt banned/thread deleted. Really shows what west-brit boards allows:rolleyes:

A Chaoimhín, it is called free speech! Free speech has the unusual aspect that if you support the concept, you are supporting the right of others to say things YOU DISAGREE WITH YOURSELF. Who was it who said, "I disagree with what you said, but I will defend to death your right to say it?"

Anyway, lighten up! The Republic's robust response to the financial crisis should ensure it becomes no Greece!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

A Chaoimhín, it is called free speech! Free speech has the unusual aspect that if you support the concept, you are supporting the right of others to say things YOU DISAGREE WITH YOURSELF. Who was it who said, "I disagree with what you said, but I will defend to death your right to say it?"

Anyway, lighten up! The Republic's robust response to the financial crisis should ensure it becomes no Greece!

In your first post you were saying that things were so bad we should rejoin the UK.

Now you're saying our robust response to the financial crisis will ensure we don't become a Greece.

It just doesn't add up, West Brit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I have posted imo reasonable threads in the past that has been deleted for whatever reason. Only freedom of speech here if they agree with the thread.

In your first post you were saying that things were so bad we should rejoin the UK.

Now you're saying our robust response to the financial crisis will ensure we don't become a Greece.

It just doesn't add up, West Brit.

I know that Ireland is handling the crisis more determinedly than Greece. The latter country is a total disgrace - they seem prepared to bring everyone down with them.

Yes, I know that Ireland is not going to reunify with the island next door. There are key aspects to England (notably the relentless promotion of multiculturalism) that I think could persuade the Unionists to get out from under the penumbra of extreme multiculturalists in England and see what settlement would be on offer in Ireland.

I am surprised Kevin reactly so strongly to what was just an interesting thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lisawashere

As far as my library knows (in Stockholm, Sweden) Ireland is part of 'the British isles' and all books about Ireland goes under that heading. The librarian insisted that 'well, geographically that is correct'....

As far as my library knows (in Stockholm, Sweden) Ireland is part of 'the British isles' and all books about Ireland goes under that heading. The librarian insisted that 'well, geographically that is correct'....

Well, yes, it is. After it, it used to be part of Britain, and 20% of Irishmen say they're British, so the refusal to accept Ireland is in the British Isles is just prejudice.

I think one day Ireland will be a united and independent country, but the Unionists will insist on a recognition of the British aspect of Irish culture. It could be like the Scandinavian countries: those countries were once all ruled by Sweden, and they wouldn't like to go back to that now, but they all recognise they have a lot in common. Ireland will eventually be happy with its history and see Britain as a neighbouring country with much in common with Ireland culturally.

Just like Denmark to Sweden, Canada to the US, Australia to New Zealand, Ireland will regard GB as simply its closest ally. History will be transcended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lisawashere

Well, yes, it is. After it, it used to be part of Britain, and 20% of Irishmen say they're British, so the refusal to accept Ireland is in the British Isles is just prejudice.

I think one day Ireland will be a united and independent country, but the Unionists will insist on a recognition of the British aspect of Irish culture. It could be like the Scandinavian countries: those countries were once all ruled by Sweden, and they wouldn't like to go back to that now, but they all recognise they have a lot in common. Ireland will eventually be happy with its history and see Britain as a neighbouring country with much in common with Ireland culturally.

Just like Denmark to Sweden, Canada to the US, Australia to New Zealand, Ireland will regard GB as simply its closest ally. History will be transcended.

Has that not already happened? Except for in NI. For some reason London feels closer to Dublin than Belfast. Maybe my geographical sense of distance is mixed up...

UK, nah.

Ich bein ein Berliner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

djpbarry wrote: »
    If we were part of Germany, wouldn't we be electing representatives to a German parliament?

Indeed you would but we elect representatives to an Irish Parliament with much the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Posted by djpbarry

..and we would be at the World Cup:D

Has that not already happened? Except for in NI. For some reason London feels closer to Dublin than Belfast. Maybe my geographical sense of distance is mixed up...

Yes, you may be right. I've never met an Englishman interested in NI, and so the Unionists are onto a loser, in fact, as their core interest - that of being British - suffers from a contradiction that the British do not return their affection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The rules against personalisation of the discussion, insulting fellow forum members and on-thread accusations of trolling still apply even if you fervently believe you're special enough that they shouldn't apply to you.

Relevant reminders of such sent to those who decided that the charter doesn't apply to them. I suggest reading the forum charter as carefully and/or slowly as necessary to realise that insulting other forum members isn't something we do here. I've pointed out many times that you're free to make your point as long as you can do it reasonably, rationally and at a standard higher than that of a little child who just wants to insult other people and throw a rattle at a wall as a method of communication. That's the anti-idiocy policy of moderation I rabbit on about. You don't have to be a polite person with respect for your fellow forum members of course, you just have to pretend while you post here.

Aside, this thread is below the Politics standard in its execution. Please post better if considering the same proposal or any other. Locked accordingly.

/mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement