Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly buying my first Macbook Air

• 21-04-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have done a fair bit of research on buying one, and I think I have found the model I want. I just have a few questions I was hoping someone here could help me with. I searched and couldn't find the answers so apologies if you guys get asked this stuff alot!

My use would primarily be for leisure and home use, but I do have the ability currently in my job to log on from home, it involves logging into a website and remoting into my windows pc from my laptop at home. Probably a stupid question but is it possible to remote into my office pc from a macbook?

Second question is I am unsure whether to buy from Apple in Ireland or America. Is there anything I need to consider if going with America in terms of charger, voltage or warranty etc? I'm not dead set on this idea and will probably but in Ireland but on the off chance I do I guess I should know these things if anyone has experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

World wide warranty applies on the laptops. However, if something goes wrong outside the 12 months warranty, you have no comeback if you buy in the US. If you buy in Ireland you may be able to pursue the retailer through the small claims in the event of a fault developing after the first 12 months. Keyboard will be very slightly different, you would need to get an adaptor for the plug. Not sure about the removing to a PC, but I'm sure someone can help.

Keep an eye on the refurb store on the Apple website, you can get some good value there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

whiterebel wrote: »
    World wide warranty applies on the laptops. However, if something goes wrong outside the 12 months warranty, you have no comeback if you buy in the US. If you buy in Ireland you may be able to pursue the retailer through the small claims in the event of a fault developing after the first 12 months. Keyboard will be very slightly different, you would need to get an adaptor for the plug. Not sure about the removing to a PC, but I'm sure someone can help.

Keep an eye on the refurb store on the Apple website, you can get some good value there.

Good shout on the refurbishment store, does it make a difference if the site is in GBP or USD?

Edit nevermind I found the euro one! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Hi all,

I have done a fair bit of research on buying one, and I think I have found the model I want. I just have a few questions I was hoping someone here could help me with. I searched and couldn't find the answers so apologies if you guys get asked this stuff alot!

My use would primarily be for leisure and home use, but I do have the ability currently in my job to log on from home, it involves logging into a website and remoting into my windows pc from my laptop at home. Probably a stupid question but is it possible to remote into my office pc from a macbook?

Second question is I am unsure whether to buy from Apple in Ireland or America. Is there anything I need to consider if going with America in terms of charger, voltage or warranty etc? I'm not dead set on this idea and will probably but in Ireland but on the off chance I do I guess I should know these things if anyone has experience with this?

The remoting in should be fine, what remote app are you using? Citrix?

sozbox wrote: »
    The remoting in should be fine, what remote app are you using? Citrix?

I think citrix comes into play but first I have a website associated with my company that I log into, I can then see my machine associated with my profile and I remote in that way.

This isn't something which will deter me from buying one, can use my old laptop if needs be it's just more of a nice to have I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Should be fine, I do the same and it works perfectly. The Air is the best laptop I've owned, can't recommend enough.

• Advertisement

sozbox wrote: »
    Should be fine, I do the same and it works perfectly. The Air is the best laptop I've owned, can't recommend enough.

Great thanks, yea haven't seen anyone complain about macbooks in any research I've been doing so I doubt il regret it! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a case with a Kensington lock on it, unless you want to explain to the boss about lost data after a burglary.

took the advice for the refurb store and picked up a macbook, it arrived today, thanks again for all the advice. Off now to get my head around using it!

Advertisement