Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with coal ash from fire?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Since coal ash is no good for the garden unlike wood ash - what's the best way to use or dispose of it? Can I wash it down the sink or down the drain in the back yard? Or is the bin the best place?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Cinder pathways in the garden? Failing that. the bin is the best option as putting anything remotely solid into drains is asking for trouble - quite apart from environmental considerations. :)

Don't spread it around the garden, it's toxic to plants.
    Best put it into the (landfill) bin.
    This is the reason binmen used to be called dustmen as usually all they collected from houses was the ash from the fires as everything was internally reused/recycled and eventually burnt by the householders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

This is the reason binmen used to be called dustmen as usually all they collected from houses was the ash from the fires as everything was internally reused/recycled and eventually burnt by the householders.

Nice bit of trivia there.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've been using it as a filler along compost in my flower beds for years, and have never noticed any ill effects. My plants* are thriving. I have a bit of sand in the mix too. It's all very easy to mix, lift and aerate when needed.

I'm gradually raising an area this way in the garden to make a raised flower bed. Some of these little purple/blue flowers I pulled from another bed a while ago are actually thriving right beside it.

Mine is coal mixed with wood.

edit : plants I've had in the flower bed, in case I just happened to pick really resistant ones : tulips, daffodils, sweetpea, purple daisy plants (some name like cosmos or something?), aster, I have a little climbing rosebush in that flower bed too, morning glory, dwarf lupins, all sorts of cottage garden flowers. I have a lilac beside this raised area with the coal ash as well. It's doing great, looking forward to blooming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

Don't spread it around the garden, it's toxic to plants.
    Best put it into the (landfill) bin.

That's the same thing that I was thinking. I think that keeping it outside can be very dangerous, so I wouldn't just leave it there or put it in the garden. So, in a landfill bin would be the best thing that I can think of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement