Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling up to wooden floors

Options
  • 23-01-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, we're about to start flooring our new build but I have a few questions and would love some advice! We have an open plan kitchen/living area. I will be tiling the kitchen and putting down engineered oak in the living. In two places the tiles and oak will meet (either side of the island). The tiles are 8mm but not sure on adhesive and floorboards 18mm plus 3mm underlay. How can I get them flush? Is there any way to raise the tiled floor to the same level as the wooden? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Ply the floor before tiling

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sille09

Thanks for responding, have you seen that done 650?! Somebody else mentioned maybe laying a cheap tile first and then tiling over that might work? Do you think that would work? If so which would be better??

I would rather the ply just make sure you put down plenty of fixings and where the tiles meet the wood dont use grout use a thin line of the same colour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm wondering about the expansion gap for the wooden floor. If the wood is to be butted against the tiles should he double the gap at the opposite side of the living room?

650gs wrote: »
    I would rather the ply just make sure you put down plenty of fixings and where the tiles meet the wood dont use grout use a thin line of the same colour

A thin line of silicone is what I ment to say the tiles cant but up to the wood as it will move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sille09

Thanks for your advice!! Much appreciated��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Sille09 wrote: »
    Hi, we're about to start flooring our new build but I have a few questions and would love some advice! We have an open plan kitchen/living area. I will be tiling the kitchen and putting down engineered oak in the living. In two places the tiles and oak will meet (either side of the island). The tiles are 8mm but not sure on adhesive and floorboards 18mm plus 3mm underlay. How can I get them flush? Is there any way to raise the tiled floor to the same level as the wooden? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!!
    We have this done in our house.Kitchen tiles laid down on 15mm ply and come up flush against the engineered oak flooring.The carpenter installed the engineered flooring up to the tiles.He left a 3mm gap between flooring and tiles and then filled that gap with some grey Tec7 mastic.Smooth and level transfer from wood flooring to the tiles.Turned out a lovely neat job.

Advertisement