Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solaris

• 09-03-2015 11:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had experience using Solaris? Have downloaded 10 and I'm running it as a VM. Having issues with Internet Connectivity, but I'll resolve it soon enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

In a past life it was almost my full-time job! Have inherited a few aging sparc boxes in my current place so even though I've forgotten a lot might be able to help you out.
    (42) uname -a
    SunOS alpine 5.10 Generic_141414-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yup, 'twas me trade lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Dead tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

djmarkus wrote: »
    Dead tech.

Hmm. Maybe, but Oracle Solaris 11.2 doesn't EOS until near the end of 2024. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I recently downloaded it just to play around with it. Having no real problems with it. I use HP-UX in work quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Decent enough, fairly stable. The basic version does not have the nice sysadmin tools of Aix or the documentation of RHEL but a good OS to pick up the basics of the command line.

Some of us learned out trade on its predecessor SunOS :o That one is dead & gone though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe, but Oracle Solaris 11.2 doesn't EOS until near the end of 2024. :D

Maybe so, but I would think that Oracle's adoption and indeed pushing of Oracle Linux, as well as their programme to offer support for RHEL and CentOS suggests that they feel the market is shifting in that direction. We've observed a similar trend among clients also, with more uptake of RHEL, at the cost of Solaris, AIX, and Windows (thank God for the last one!).

We have both Solaris (10 and 11), and RHEL (5 and 6) in work for various servers (replicating client setups, as well as a few production systems), and personally i find the RHEL machines a lot more user friendly by default/out of the box. Now maybe that's my own background from getting to know *nix through Linux, but simple things like the default ps only providing a truncated output, or common utils like wget not being on the path, or even tar vs gtar (also not on default path!) are irritants that crop up too often.

We recently moved our CI server from Solaris 10 to RHEL 6, and while thus far there hasn't really been much noticeable difference, we now have the option to use a lot more testing setups for some of the frontend javascript, some of which don't even compile on Solaris!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just as well I took an interest in Solaris. Some of the production machines use it, so there's no escaping it, not unless I want a full scale re-development process on my hands.

cython wrote: »
    We have both Solaris (10 and 11), and RHEL (5 and 6) in work for various servers (replicating client setups, as well as a few production systems), and personally i find the RHEL machines a lot more user friendly by default/out of the box. Now maybe that's my own background from getting to know *nix through Linux, but simple things like the default ps only providing a truncated output, or common utils like wget not being on the path, or even tar vs gtar (also not on default path!) are irritants that crop up too often.

We recently moved our CI server from Solaris 10 to RHEL 6, and while thus far there hasn't really been much noticeable difference, we now have the option to use a lot more testing setups for some of the frontend javascript, some of which don't even compile on Solaris!

I "inherited" a Solaris cluster hosting our webserver & have been slowly stripping it over the last while! It's just too awkward getting s/w for it & as I work in a college no way will anyone spend cash they don't have to.

Centos is our o/s of choice these days although a few groups with research bucks have RedHat as their s/w suppliers won't support anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

opus wrote: »
    Some of us learned out trade on its predecessor SunOS :o That one is dead & gone though!

Me too! My claim to fame is compiling MySQL and Apache from source (or was it PHP and MySQL? Can't remember) as the binaries weren't available for SunOS. That'll tell you how long ago it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

cython wrote: »
    Maybe so, but I would think that Oracle's adoption and indeed pushing of Oracle Linux, as well as their programme to offer support for RHEL and CentOS suggests that they feel the market is shifting in that direction. We've observed a similar trend among clients also, with more uptake of RHEL, at the cost of Solaris, AIX, and Windows (thank God for the last one!).

Just add /usr/sfw/bin and /usr/ucb to your PATH ? All those utils are in Solaris, albeit not visible with a basic install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Saganist wrote: »
    Just add /usr/sfw/bin and /usr/ucb to your PATH ? All those utils are in Solaris, albeit not visible with a basic install.

And also /usr/xgp4/bin, /usr/xgp6/bin.

I used Solaris a lot in my last job. Was happy that the finally started migrating to SuSE and Red Hat.

Dealing with As/400 machines in my current job. What a blast from the past!

Advertisement