Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu "for that you need this"

• 10-04-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the package I need to install is that says:

"Oh, that's not installed, you need to install <blah> to get it".

e.g. if I type "convert" it'll say "you need to install imagemagick"

(I have a minimal lxde install and I want that tool that tells me what I need)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is it not one of the package managers?

Can't remember if Ubuntu is Debian based, but I am fairly sure it happens on systems using RPM. (I use CentoOS a lot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the package I need to install is that says:

"Oh, that's not installed, you need to install <blah> to get it".

e.g. if I type "convert" it'll say "you need to install imagemagick"

(I have a minimal lxde install and I want that tool that tells me what I need)

You can use apt-file search to find the name of the package that contains the file or executable you need. Very handy if compiling something and it says File:file101.h is missing. You can do apt-file search file101.h andit will return the package name file404, which you can then install.

I know the thing you mean but I don't know the name of it. Let me do some searching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm not sure I even understand the question ..... but if using a package manager (such as Synaptic) when you select something you want to install it will also automatically list what also needs to be installed for that package to work (its dependencies).

There are probably some options to use with apt-get that might help.

If using rpm then there are several queries such as

rpm -q --whatprovides
    rpm -q --whatrequires

Yes, I know Ubunbtu does not use RPM ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm not sure I even understand the question ..... but if using a package manager (such as Synaptic) when you select something you want to install it will also automatically list what also needs to be installed for that package to work (its dependencies).

There are probably some options to use with apt-get that might help.

If using rpm then there are several queries such as

rpm -q --whatprovides
    rpm -q --whatrequires

Yes, I know Ubunbtu does not use RPM ;)

There is a utility on ubuntu where if you type nmap at the command prompt and nmap isnt installed, it will say "nmap isnt installed, do you want to install it Y/n".

Or if you type "make", and build-essential isn't installed, it will say, "Make is part of build-essential which isn't installed, do you want to install it now?"

I think thats what Khannie wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

nookie wrote: »

That's the one. Thanks so much. :)
    syklops wrote: »
    There is a utility on ubuntu where if you type nmap at the command prompt and nmap isnt installed, it will say "nmap isnt installed, do you want to install it Y/n".

Or if you type "make", and build-essential isn't installed, it will say, "Make is part of build-essential which isn't installed, do you want to install it now?"

I think thats what Khannie wants.

That's what I mean alright. :)

Advertisement