Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was life like in Ireland prior to the Famine?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

..........with instructions that it should only be given away if it were going to be used a) preferably in prayer, and if that wasn't possible, b) by someone who would play it; she didn't want it broken up or turned into furniture. My mother passed it to me and I had it for 30 years, all the time looking for a home - here it is http://variantharmonics.blogspot.ie. Eventually I found a harmonium-lover in Donegal who took it happily away to restore and play…

Lovely thing to do with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lovely thing to do with it! :)

Oh, I was such a happy camper waving it off in the back of his van!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I have not had the time over the past few days to respond to this thread - but I am going to address a number of issues relating to my previous comments
    My comment was not intended as derogatory, it is a comment on the issue I have with any slant/bias used to interpret data in an attempt to justify a political belief.
    Your comments are utterly derogatory - you are accusing me of slanting my comments to fit a particular agenda - I am not. I am taking historical evidence, much of which is based on personal research, and am viewing that evidence from a particular perspective. The fact that I am viewing it from a particular perspective does not negate the validity of the interpretation.

You are also displaying bias (and an utterly dismissive attitude towards someone who has been an active historian for several decades) and often engaging in opinion that is not remotely backed up with evidence.
    If you want to propound your politics, there is a forum for that. To classify a tenant farmer with 9 acres living in a hovel as “an Irish Catholic Tenant Farmer” and an exploiter the masses is inaccurate. Ireland had huge economic problems, to try to simplify it to your view of a "downtrodden proletariat" is a nonsense.
    My politics have no more to do with my historical interpretation than do yours.

It is interesting that you put a figure of '9 acres' on your interpretation of the 'tenant farmer' - particularly given my assertion that tenant farmers on 10 acres survived the family with relatively little difficulty. The reality is that Irish Catholic tenant farmers WERE 'exploiters of the masses' during this period - and there is copious amounts of evidence to back up this assertion.
    I’ve also made a comprehensive study of several trials that took place as a result of the Coercion Act of 1847– one high profile Limerick case that comes to mind is the murder of a misfortunate named Kelly who took the 3 acres of an evictee (Ryan) to add to his own 9 to help provide the means of survival for a large family. Ryan Senior had been killed in a faction fight and despite having several adult sons they had not paid rent for years. (And, BTW, the evictor landlord in question was not “an Irish Catholic Tenant Farmer”.) I’ve also studied advowsons and the Tithe wars, and am familiar with the work of many on that topic (for e.g. Noreen Higgins-McHugh of UCC)
    None of this negates anything that I have asserted
    I said a holder of less than ten acres had only marginally better circumstances than a labourer with one or two. Both lived in primitive conditions (look at the Census returns for ’41 I quoted earlier) , both were dependent on the potato, and the ten-acre owner also needed the potato for animal feed, so the failure of the staple diet affected both dramatically.
    Again you are building paper castles - I never made any assertion about holders of less than 10 acres - I made assertions about the holders of MORE than 10 acres. However, it is utter nonsense to suggest that a farmer with 9 acres was only 'marginally' better of than the landless labourers - to start with he had significantly more land to feed himself and his family. Many 9 acre farmers survived the family with little difficulty - 600,000 labourers either died or emigrated while pratically all the other 600,000 suffered dramatically during the famine.
    To suggest that a ten-acre man is to be blamed for what happened to the labourer is not correct.
    More paper castles - I never claimed that this was the case - what I asserted is that the Irish Catholic tenant farmer exploited the crisis for his own financial gain, at the expense of the landless labourer and the cottier.
    “Clearances” is hardly the correct word to apply to a small tenant farmer refusing to renew conacre for one or two landless labourers living at the end of his field. The farmer’s back was to the wall as he had to pay his rent and provide for his family. Sub-division and subdivision of subdivisions of smallholdings made the unit size totally uneconomic.
    So the tenant farmer with his 'back to the wall' was justified in bumping up the price of conacre, bumping up the price of provisions and driving down the wage rates of the landless labourer? From your perspective you might see such antics as justified - not from mine.
    I repeat what I said earlier – Ireland was a basket-case, over-populated and overdependant on the potato. (I’m quite prepared to go into an argument on the nutritional aspects of the potato, yield rates, etc. but see little point at this stage, as we both accept its role in the downfall.) Many of the smallholders surrendered their holdings under the ‘Gregory clause’ in the Relief Act of 1847. Many others surrendered to avail of assisted emigration – look at several of the big estates in Kerry, Sligo, Mayo, etc. and the thousands who were evicted or whose ‘leaving’ was financed by big absentee landlords To cite just one big landlord eviction, the Times of London protested vigorously against the treatment and eviction of 300 tenants from the estate of Mrs Gerrard at Ballinglass, Co. Galway, on 13 March 1846:-
    ‘How often are we to be told that the common law of England sanctions injustice and furnishes the weapons of oppression? How long shall the rights of property in Ireland continue to be the wrongs of poverty and the advancement of the rich be the destruction of the poor?’ [Times, 31 March 1846]

Etc.

Your assertion
    simply does not meet normal proof criteria and your answer to Kildare John on Whiteboy offences ignores what happened at their inception – refresh your mind on the Ascendancy landlords and Fr. Sheehy.
    Nothing that you have quoted takes anything away from my original assertion - namely that the social conflict during the famine was primarily a conflict between the Irish Catholic tenant farmer and the landless labourer and that the Irish Catholic tenant farmer exploited the crisis for their own financial gain at the expense of the landless labourer.

So let's take primary source evidence from the aforementioned Limerick (and this is just a smattering of stuff from my own notes that were at hand - I have little intention of dusting down all of them)

1845 began with a spate of clandestine attacks in Co. Limerick on tenant farmers by landless labourers. On 9 January a large number of tenant farmers met in Toomevara to demand action by the police to suppress the night-time attacks on farmers in East Limerick and North Tipperary (Limerick Chronicle, 11 Jan 1845). The Landlord and Tenant Commission put the blame for rising conacre rent firmly on the tenant farmers, claiming that the practice of landlords renting to middlemen was now non-existent with their role of renting conacre to landless labourers being taken up by tenant farmers (Limerick Chronicle, 22 Feb 1845). The clandestine attacks were followed by the agricultural labourers demanding wage rises to compensate for the rising conacre rent (Limerick Chronicle, 3 May 1845).

The most extensive attacks occurred in November 1845 when dozens of attacks were occurring on a nightly basis all over Co. Limerick in response to the fact that the tenant farmers were not passing on the rent cuts they had received from the landlords to the conacre rents for the labourers (Limerick Chronicle 12, 19, 26, and 29 November 1845). The scale of attacks to the Northside of Limerick City around Clonlara, Ardnacrusha and up to Killaloe prompt landowners and tenant farmers (note – landowners and tenant farmers together) to meeting in Doonass to plan a response to the night-time raids and to demand for the deployment of extra police (Limerick Chronicle, 13 December 1845). In the run-up to Christmas the attacks continue, grain stores of farmers were raided and the local clergy joined with the tenant farmers in condemning the labourers for the ‘whiteboy’ activities (Limerick Chronicle, 13, 17 and 20 December 1845).

One particular incident demonstrated that attitude of the tenant farmers. In early December a landlord in Sixmilebridge named Wilson, distributed some land on his estate to labourers who had been evicted by the tenant farmers on his estate. The tenant farmers threatened him with assault and riot unless he withdrew the offer and distributed any available land to the tenant farmers (Limerick Chronicle, 13 December 1845). After dumping the labourers off of the conacre they had rented to them the tenant farmers then acted as a unit in forcing the landlord to withdraw a small amount of land the he was willing to rent to these labourers to help them survive and compel him to give it to the tenant farmers.

This situation continued right throughout the famine –

On 15 August 1846 Caleb Powell, Castleconnell, reported that a poor woman with a large family had applied to him to intercede with a tenant farmer who had refused her access to the potato crop her husband had raised on his farm without payment of a large sum of money, far more than was affordable (National Archives, RLFC3/1/)

On 12 Nov 1846 Thomas Kearney, wrote to the OPW, giving an account of conditions in Coshlea barony. He stated that the inhabitants work well at piece work, but that there wages cannot keep in line with rising food prices, especially as food is becoming almost unobtainable as a result of the tenant farmers hoarding corn to drive the price up (National Archives, RLFC3/2/17/).

On 25 March 1847 Rev T Corkery RCC in Croagh and a member of the relief committee wrote to the Undersecetary claiming that “most farmers in the area are rackrenters” (National Archives, RLFC3/2/17/).

On 27 July 1847 Rev William Willis, secretary of the Kilmeedy and Castletown Relief Committee, wrote about ‘irregularities in the distribution of labour tickets (which were going to the tenant farmers rather than the starving landless labourers) and corruption amongst stewards (who were primarily larger tenant farmers) on public works. There were also constantly complaints about the tenant farmers getting 4/5 more in wages on the relief schemes than the labourers for using a horse (National Archives RLFC3/1/).

As I said - this is just a sample of the reports from Limerick alone. The social conflict was not confined to rural areas. Regular food rioting, raids on food stores, attacks flour convoys, on Irish Catholic (and Protestant) flour merchants and, notably, regular attacks on the Catholic merchant bakers who were driving up the price of bread.

The conflict during the famine was not a sectarian Catholic exploited / Protestant exploiter conflict – it was a class conflict based on exploited labourer / exploiting Irish Catholic tenant farmer / Catholic merchant.

When I have more time I will come back and address some of the other issues.

The thread is about pre-Famine Ireland and you seem bent on exploiting it to meander on about the poor peasants and your political diatribe about class conflict. The Limerick Chronicle articles you quote do not mention the size of the tenant farmers, and your reference to Caleb Powell is – to use your own expression – a paper castle, as he was a member of the ascendancy and farming about 700 acres. Much as I appreciate your lengthy efforts in trying to disprove what I have written, you have yet to produce a shred of evidence that supports your claims that

Most of the agrarian violence during the nineteenth century was the result of attacks by landless labourers against Irish Catholic tenant farmers over the price of provisions, the cost of conacre, the export of food out of local districts and wages.

I repeat what I wrote earlier - That is a sweeping statement that simply does not hold water because it is imprecise. Agrarian “outrage” (to use the term of the day) when it was used against the small tenant farmer – the 5-15 acre man, was invariably because he took on some land that had been the subject of an eviction. It had nothing to do with your oft-repeated 'exploitation'. There also is a growing case that many crimes were motivated because there was more cash about, from paid works on roads, etc., but AFAIK there has not been any research done on that. There is no doubt that there were “Irish Catholic tenant farmers” that were middlemen but they were large farmers, not the people against whom you direct your attacks.

An unbiased review of available data would show that the social groups most hardest hit were (what I’ve been saying from the outset), the poorest section of the population ‐ the labourers and those cottiers with less than 5 acres. They were the chief victims, followed by those with holdings of under 10 acres. However, the ranks of the “better ‐ off” famers (some with 15 acres) were also badly thinned by the Famine.

If it is down to survival, (and it was for those with up to 15 acres) a guy with a wife and family is first going to support them, feed them and fight for them, and ignore some marginalised person living in a ditch. Maybe hard to accept, maybe unchristian, but that is life.

From O’Grada …….The relative impact of the famine on different occupational groups may be inferred from comparing the 1841 and 1851 censuses. The overall decline in the labor force was 19.1 per cent. There were 14.4 per cent fewer farmers, and 24.2 per cent fewer farm laborers. Not surprisingly, given their vulnerability, the number of physicians and surgeons dropped by 25.3 per cent.

When the Land Acts distributed land to tenants, who benefited, the tenant farmers or the farm labourers, or both?

• Advertisement

When the Land Acts distributed land to tenants, who benefited, the tenant farmers or the farm labourers, or both?
    The tenant farmers - who subsequently turned and shafted the farm labourers.

(cue a response from ped dismissing my assertion ;))

The tenant farmers - who subsequently turned and shafted the farm labourers.

(cue a response from ped dismissing my assertion ;))

No, I disagree only with your points when they are biased to the point of being incorrect.:) Under the early Land Acts the tenants obviously benefitted as they were the primary focus. Under the later Acts the labourers got a look-in. Many of the latter were involved in the burning of the ‘Big Houses’ during the War of Indep. and after the Truce, as they hoped for land allocation on the break-up of the big estates.

Here is a summarized police report from 1845 that supports my contention that most of the "outrages" were linked to taking on some land that had been the subject of an eviction (and not with the Red Person's oft-repeated 'exploitation', price of provisions or cost of conacre).

No, I disagree only with your points when they are biased to the point of being incorrect.:) Under the early Land Acts the tenants obviously benefitted as they were the primary focus. Under the later Acts the labourers got a look-in.
    Not the case - some of the later legislation, specifically the Labourers Act 1893, was focussed on assisting the labourers - however, the tenant farmers who had argued 'labour must wait' during the Land War flouted the new laws and drove labourers out of employment and off of conacre in order to avoid being responsible for providing land to build a labourers cottage. This was a source of major rural conclict in the 1890s and continued to be a source of tension between the classes right up to independence.

The thread is about pre-Famine Ireland and you seem bent on exploiting it to meander on about the poor peasants and your political diatribe about class conflict.
    There you go again - and you claim you are not being derogatory

I have previously outlined the nature of the class conflict in pre-famine Ireland - to summarise again for you -

1. The Caravat / Shanavest confict was an open class conflict between the labourers (the Caravats) and the tenant farmers (the Shanavests) and lasted from 1808-1816
    2. The Rockite Rebellion was predominately a class conflict from 1819-1824 with the labourers targetting the tenant farmers and (occasionally) the landowners. When the Rockite Rebellion resurfaced in 1825 it took on a more sectarian character with the conflict mainly between the tenant farmers and the landlords (based around the Pastorini Prophacy)
    3. The Terry Alt Rebellion in 1831 was almost exclusively a class conflict primarily focussed on the labourers engaging in a mass movement (up to 20,000 in Co. Clare) and mainly focussed in digging up the land of tenant farmers and (occasionally) landowners to force them to let the land for conacre.
    4 In the periods between these movements agrarian conflict continued but again was mainly focussed on conflict between labourer and tenant farmer.
    The Limerick Chronicle articles you quote do not mention the size of the tenant farmers,
    And the point you are trying to make is what?
    and your reference to Caleb Powell is – to use your own expression – a paper castle, as he was a member of the ascendancy and farming about 700 acres.
    You clearly miss the point – the report from Powell showed a clear trend demonstrating the attitude of the tenant farmer – a trend backed up by other reports from local clergy and the relief committees
    Much as I appreciate your lengthy efforts in trying to disprove what I have written,
    And you accuse me of being pedantic
    you have yet to produce a shred of evidence that supports your claims that

Most of the agrarian violence during the nineteenth century was the result of attacks by landless labourers against Irish Catholic tenant farmers over the price of provisions, the cost of conacre, the export of food out of local districts and wages.
    On the contrary – I demonstrated it in general by outlining the various movements of the pre-famine era and by providing detailed accounts of the conflict in 1845 – you are the one choosing to dismiss this evidence without posing any counter evidence to disprove my assertion.
    I repeat what I wrote earlier - That is a sweeping statement that simply does not hold water because it is imprecise.
    It is not a ‘sweeping statement’ – it is an interpretation based on evidence based on personal research and research from other historians
    Agrarian “outrage” (to use the term of the day) when it was used against the small tenant farmer – the 5-15 acre man, was invariably because he took on some land that had been the subject of an eviction. It had nothing to do with your oft-repeated 'exploitation'. There also is a growing case that many crimes were motivated because there was more cash about, from paid works on roads, etc., but AFAIK there has not been any research done on that. There is no doubt that there were “Irish Catholic tenant farmers” that were middlemen but they were large farmers, not the people against whom you direct your attacks.
    You are attempting to make a distinction between the small tenant farmer and the large tenant farmer by suggesting that the small tenant farmer was the 5-15 acre man and then imply that I as focussing my criticism on this sector – this is you ‘paper castle’

I made it abundantly clear that in my opinion the dividing line was 10 acres which is the level at which the tenant farmer could survive the famine with relatively little difficulty and then the farmer with 20+ acres who make significant financial gains (in relative terms) from the famine – both engaged in the exploitation of the labourer and the cottier.
    An unbiased review of available data would show that the social groups most hardest hit were (what I’ve been saying from the outset), the poorest section of the population ‐ the labourers and those cottiers with less than 5 acres. They were the chief victims,
    So you are now supporting my assertion
    followed by those with holdings of under 10 acres. However, the ranks of the “better ‐ off” famers (some with 15 acres) were also badly thinned by the Famine.
    What evidence do you have that the ‘better off’ farmers were ‘badly thinned’ - numbers please
    If it is down to survival, (and it was for those with up to 15 acres) a guy with a wife and family is first going to support them, feed them and fight for them, and ignore some marginalised person living in a ditch. Maybe hard to accept, maybe unchristian, but that is life.
    Again you are talking about ‘up to 15 acres’ as though it somehow discredits my assertion (while you conveniently ignore the farmers with more than 15 acres)

However, the reality of your claim here is very different. The landless labourers and the cottiers were noted for being charitable, for taking in individuals and families who were forced out of their cottages or loss their conacre, for feeding those starving with what little they had – and this was based on the realisation that they could well, someday in the not too distant future, be in exactly the same situation reliant on the assistance of others. Furthermore, the landless labourers and the cottiers combined to engage in movements and actions based on class interests – just as the tenant farmers did. There was a clear social divide between the labourer and cottiers on one side and the tenant farmers (with 10+ acres) on the other.
    From O’Grada …….The relative impact of the famine on different occupational groups may be inferred from comparing the 1841 and 1851 censuses. The overall decline in the labor force was 19.1 per cent. There were 14.4 per cent fewer farmers, and 24.2 per cent fewer farm laborers. Not surprisingly, given their vulnerability, the number of physicians and surgeons dropped by 25.3 per cent.
    This quote is actually meaningless in the context of this discussion – There was a decline in the number of farmers (and it is bigger than O’Grada has indicated in this piece) but this decline was predominantly among the cottiers on less than 5 acres. But the interesting thing is that you left out the part of the paragraph before this quote which stated – The rural poor, landless or near-landless, were most likely to perish, and the earliest victims were in that category. O’Grada then makes a false assertion that ‘labour costs for farmers’ increased – this is not the case. Labourers wages were significantly reduced during the famine to the level of the relief schemes (which the farmers complained about because they were intent on driving labourers wages lower). It was only when the number of labourers fell dramatically (again by more than O’Grada indicated) through death and emigration that a shortage of labour began forcing wages up - but that was at the earliest the harvest of 1849. One interesting development in 1849 was that many of the farmers who held between 5-15 acres harvested their crop and then emigrated to the USA and Canada without paying rent to the landlord or the wages owed to the labourer (Limerick Chronicle 29 Sept 1849)

Now this really is getting a bit tedious – I have presented evidence that you have dismissed out of hand without producing any concrete evidence yourself. I will leave it to others to assess who have produced the better interpretation and assessment of the situation based on the evidence provided by both.

NB
    Here is a summarized police report from 1845 that supports my contention that most of the "outrages" were linked to taking on some land that had been the subject of an eviction (and not with the Red Person's oft-repeated 'exploitation', price of provisions or cost of conacre).
    Your link goes to two reports – one the murder of a farmer with the suspicion that it might have occurred over the allocation of a portion of land (not an eviction) and the second refers to the assassination of a JP in Leitrim.

Are you seriously suggesting that providing the report of two murders in Jan 1845, both of which appear to have been acts of criminality, somehow disproves the comprehensive evidence I have provided for the class conflict in Co. Limerick alone in 1845. If you were a student and I was writing a school report then the comment would have to be ‘try harder’ and maybe the next time you could produce some evidence of real research rather than relying on google.

• Advertisement

NB

Your link goes to two reports – one the murder of a farmer with the suspicion that it might have occurred over the allocation of a portion of land (not an eviction) and the second refers to the assassination of a JP in Leitrim.

Are you seriously suggesting that providing the report of two murders in Jan 1845, ....
    If you were a student and I was writing a school report then the comment would have to be ‘try harder’ and maybe the next time you could produce some evidence of real research rather than relying on google.

I'm suggesting nothing of the sort; I did not expect I would have to tell you to turn the pages - there are 12 of them, little tab at the top! ;)

Thankfully I'm not one of your students, (god help them, but those with a brain must have a good laugh!) And your jibe about Google is a cheap one, even by your usual standards! The other stuff I'll repond to when I have time.

Rereading your post above again brings home the futility of arguing with you. It is going nowhere. You inevitably counter with specious argument; I never wrote or even suggested anywhere that the landless labourers did not die in droves. They did, as they do every time there is a famine, be it in 19th C Ireland or 20/21st century Somalia or Ethiopia. Life sucks if you are poor.

You have now changed your argument to split hairs on the difference between a 10 acre farmer and a 15 acre one. Do you know anything - anything - about farming? Quality of the land comes into play, so a 15 acre farm in Kerry could be worse than a 2 acre one in Limerick.

The clear bias shown in your lengthy posts, your non-sequiturs and your apparent deliberate misinterpretation of what is written shows that as well as an agenda you have too much time and just want an argument and an excuse to write more ‘class war’ claptrap. You dismiss O’Grada, (a world-renowned expert on the Famine) and accuse him of being wrong and making false assertions. So what hope have I of changing your mind? Why should I bother to reply if it’s just providing you excuse for you to waffle on? Does it make you feel important? I have better things to do with my time. Given your earlier (and rather arrogant) remarks about being a history teacher and grading my work, you have caused me - for the first time - to see merit in what Quinn has proposed for the future of that subject! I really hope that you are one of a tiny minority in teaching history.

Here is yet another link to Famine era crimes – it shows the injured party and the cause of the crime. No doubt you will find something ‘wrong’ with that info also. It does not fit your agenda, but it does show what actually happened in Co Limerick in 1845 and out of several hundred crimes there are less than a dozen – a minute percentage – that support your argument. Count them yourself, do your own homework (and don’t forget to turn the pages, there are several of them!) Class war my @r$e, the landless peasant wanted to better himself and join the landed class, which he did when he could, as exemplified by actions against the 'soviets' in early 20th c Ireland - and did subsequently throughout Eastern Europe.

Perhaps we should not be arguing but trying to find the truth together.

Perhaps we should not be arguing but trying to find the truth together.

There is no mystery; the truth has been established by dozens of academic commentators (to list a few - Ó Gráda, Bourke, Mokyr, Kinnealy) and others who write with a cold, clinical interest in fact, backed up with data.Truth draws strength from itself and not from the biased preaching of a proselytizer.

In the early 1840’s
    In Ireland the daily intake of the third or so of the population mainly reliant on the potato was enormous: 4-5 kilos daily per adult male equivalent for most of the year. After allowing for non-human consumption and provision for seed, the 2.1 million acres (or 0.8 million hectares) under potatoes in the early 1840s produced 6.2 million metric tons for human consumption. That amounted to an average daily intake of 4.6 lbs (or over two kilos) per man, woman, and child. In France, by comparison, the average daily intake of potatoes was only 165 grams in 1852. *

Examine the way land was held - By 1830, there were an estimated 700,000 predominately tenant families in Ireland, of which 75 per cent held farms of twenty acres or less and 50 per cent under ten acres or less. ** At the bottom of the social scale, the cottiers and labourers rented land on a conacre basis (usually an eleven month rental period for growing a cash crop of corn and a food crop of potatoes) and other than occasional labouring work had no other means of livelihood.

Now, look at the make-up of potato consumption, metric tons by class/occupation for the agricultural classes.***

Occupation: Labourers. Population: 3.3millions. Annual Consumption: 3.9
    Occupation: Cottiers. Population: 1.4millions. Annual Consumption: 0.8
    Occupation: Small farmers. Population: 0.5millions. Annual Consumption: 0.3
    Occupation: Large farmers. Population: 0.25millions. Annual Consumption: 0.1

Add to the tonnage for human consumption the continuing need of those classes to use potatoes as animal feed to rear/maintain their livestock. Now remove that food source, not some of it, ALL of it, from the bottom stratum of society. You do not need to be an economist or historian to realise that those people disappear, and disappear they do, in droves. Nothing to do with class warfare, it is a simple matter of poverty, diet and crop dependency. And the aggression was primarily between 'grabbers' and the evicted, or against some of the better off to obtain arms to use against the grabbers.

The Famine dead should not be dishonoured in an attempt to prove a political point.

* Cormac Ó Gráda , Richard Paping and Eric Vanhaute (eds.), The potato famine of 1845-1850: causes and effects of the 'last' European subsistence crisis (CORN Publication Series: Comparative Rural History of the North Sea Area).

** Class conflict in the 1830s Tithe War. Noreen Higgins-McHugh, Department of History, University College Cork. Paper given at NUI Maynooth Conference on Class Relations in 19th Century Ireland.

*** Bourke, Austin (1993). The Visitation of God? The Potato and the Great Irish Famine, Dublin: Lilliput.

Yes, Pedro… but look, for example, at the crop failure of 1879/80, when food was provided to replace the potato, and so famine did not ensue.
    Isn't it a bit simplistic to say "there wasn't food for the poor, so the poor starved" in 1847-50?

Of course it is simplistic to say that, nothing is ever that simple. The crop failure of 79/80 was nowhere near as serious at that of 45/49. (There were many others, for e.g. another in the SW in 1897.) But after 45/49 the whole dynamic of the country had changed, lessons also had been learned, population reduced, Congested Districs formed, etc. . The events leading up to the 45 Famine created a 'perfect storm' scenario.

As I understand it, the crop failure in 1879/80 was as serious, but food was rushed in; the crop did not also continue to fail for five years in succession, as had happened in the 1840s.

I'm not very widely read on that particular famine, but from memory it was not as serious because there was not total failure of the potato crop - it was reduced by up to two thirds in the most affected places. Other significant factors were the diminished size of the population, total dependency on the potato had reduced considerably, the government had got its act together and had learned a lesson from the '45/50 event. Communications also were better as the railways had expanded considerably and that made distribution of aid easier.

Yes, Pedro, you're right - distribution of aid was easier. The successful provision of aid was also a question of philosophy - the malthusianism of Trevelyan and his generation had given way to a more sensible approach to other humans.

Advertisement