Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laytown - Balbriggan Train

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just on to vent about the pricing of this train.

I get the Matthews bus service to Dublin which is great.

I live in Laytown but don't have my car at the moment and looking to get to Balbriggan to go to the library. No prices displayed on web.

Emailed them and they came back with

Single 5.60 and return €10.30. This is for TWO stops. Sometimes its only one stop as the train does not always stop in Gormanstown. It is less than 5mins.

Also, their offers on the web state that a special return to Nenagh from Dublin is €10! They also sometimes do a special from Laytown to Dublin for €10 (which if I was going to go to Balbriggan I'd buy to save all of 30cent)

Is it just me or is this a rip off? Sneaky the way they are not advertised so you get stung at the station.

Think I'll study at home now rather than get the train out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Yes there's always been that trouble once you go north of Balbriggan, I used to go to Gormanston & the jump in price after Balbriggan was infuriating! Partly the county boundary maybe, but also Balbriggan is the end of the (I think) 'short hop area', as is Maynooth on the other end.
    I see there's no Bus Eireann bus, I thought the Laytown one might head towards Balbriggan but tis Drogheda only. What about going into Drogheda library? Otherwise I think you might have to study at home indeed, pity there's no library in Laytown anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Yeah drogheda is just as expensive. But id get the bus, thinks it's 7 or 8 return. But balbriggan library is much nicer.

Just found out libraries don't open bank holiday sat so I will have to study at home. It was just that day I didn't have my car.

It's just do frustrating their prices. Pity Matthews don't service balbriggan (the private bus co

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The fares within the short hop zone are more heavily subsidised than those outside.

Unfortunately the boundary has to be somewhere. Outside the short hop zone, the fares are distance based.

The Nenagh fare is a promotional one reflecting the fact they have only two trains each way morning and evening, and is an effort to stimulate travel on the line. Laytown has a far better service than that line ever will have.

There is also an online sale in progress currently on Intercity services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

frogstar wrote: »
    Just on to vent about the pricing of this train.

I get the Matthews bus service to Dublin which is great.

I live in Laytown but don't have my car at the moment and looking to get to Balbriggan to go to the library. No prices displayed on web.

Emailed them and they came back with

Single 5.60 and return €10.30. This is for TWO stops. Sometimes its only one stop as the train does not always stop in Gormanstown. It is less than 5mins.

Also, their offers on the web state that a special return to Nenagh from Dublin is €10! They also sometimes do a special from Laytown to Dublin for €10 (which if I was going to go to Balbriggan I'd buy to save all of 30cent)

Is it just me or is this a rip off? Sneaky the way they are not advertised so you get stung at the station.

Think I'll study at home now rather than get the train out

There should be a day return ticket - usually same price as a single. You could ask at the station or email them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That is the day return price, 11.20 for the open return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    The fares within the short hop zone are more heavily subsidised than those outside.
    I doubt that. Population densities and therefore patronage are a lot greater inside the short hop zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

That is the day return price, 11.20 for the open return

Well then IE should look at their pricing again as there is very little, if any, incentive to travel from Laytown to Balbriggan at those prices. Generally I would expect a day return fare to approximate to the single fare and not the open return. Recently I travelled from Dublin to Drogheda and back for €13.20. Ok it was off peak on a Monday, but the relativities between these fares don't seem to stack up.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I doubt that. Population densities and therefore patronage are a lot greater inside the short hop zone.

By that I meant that there is a different fare scale with lower fares within the short hop zone.

The individual fares are lower.

Well then IE should look at their pricing again as there is very little, if any, incentive to travel from Laytown to Balbriggan at those prices. Generally I would expect a day return fare to approximate to the single fare and not the open return. Recently I travelled from Dublin to Drogheda and back for €13.20. Ok it was off peak on a Monday, but the relativities between these fares don't seem to stack up.

I completely agree. Honestly I'm nit going to bother to pay 10 euro to go two stops. I'm sure others have done the same.

I travel to Dublin daily and won't get the train because of the price. The Matthews buses are packed in the mornings and evenings. People want (need) to travel but expect to pay fair prices.

I'm sure great business between laytown/skerries/balbriggan could be made if people could travel at a reasonable price. I usually drive out and don't drink because for two people it's quite expensive.

Recently, it was cheaper for myself and two friends to get a taxi home from Dublin, rather than the train. More comfort too!

I'm sure if the trains were privatised, they would encourage better off peak pricing, at the moment they don't care and the trains are empty off peak

I complained to IR (for price, and fact it is not advertised on the web). Don't think I'll get a response.

Also I understand that fares outside short hop are more expensive, but if you could see the distance, it's nothing, I know people who drive to balbriggan since it's cheaper.
    Sorry for lon rant!

The fares have nothing to do with the number of stops, so that point is totally irrelevant. They are based on distance, with incremental fare bands as you travel further.

Laytown/Balbriggan is in the lowest Intercity fare band (band A). There are no lower Intercity fares (other than promotional fares) available. This fare band covers all journeys under 16km in length anywhere on the Intercity network.

There was actually an overhaul of Intercity fares by the National Transport Authority in January.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Intercity-Fares-Briefing-Final-Revised.pdf

At the end of the day the fare bands have to start somewhere. Someone will always have grounds to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Take this one by one.....
    I completely agree. Honestly I'm nit going to bother to pay 10 euro to go two stops. I'm sure others have done the same.

€10 for 2 stops is relative. Balbriggan to Laytown may be 2 stops and €10 return but it's not exactly next door and it's a 9 minute train journey. T'would be nice if it was cheaper, though.
    I travel to Dublin daily and won't get the train because of the price. The Matthews buses are packed in the mornings and evenings. People want (need) to travel but expect to pay fair prices.

Silly them if they are. A ten journey ticket with Matthews to Bettystown is €60; a weekly train ticket from Laytown into the city (Pearse) is €54, plus it gets you a wee bit further. The Matthews annual for the same trips €1,700, Irish Rail €1,350 so the train is cheaper on this run. Granted, the bus has some route advantages but the same applies for the train as you can hop onto a Dart en route if it suits.
    I'm sure great business between laytown/skerries/balbriggan could be made if people could travel at a reasonable price. I usually drive out and don't drink because for two people it's quite expensive.

Agreed with you that it should be done. Thing is, no operator seems to want to. Why not suggest it to Matthews?
    Recently, it was cheaper for myself and two friends to get a taxi home from Dublin, rather than the train. More comfort too!

How much was a tax home from the city for three of you? I doubt if it was less than €50 unless you haggled and that's from an ex taxi driver and I know how long it would take.
    I'm sure if the trains were privatised, they would encourage better off peak pricing, at the moment they don't care and the trains are empty off peak

Most transport is empty off peak, especially on commuter belt lines; bus and rail. It's more noticeable on one of 4/6/8 train carriages that seats 70 each than a bus seating 50 so a train will seem worse. There are some off peak promotions like online fares and day returns but they can't change commuters working hours, just shoppers and pleasure trips.
    I complained to IR (for price, and fact it is not advertised on the web). Don't think I'll get a response.

Also I understand that fares outside short hop are more expensive, but if you could see the distance, it's nothing, I know people who drive to balbriggan since it's cheaper.
    Sorry for lon rant!

Rants are welcome here, especially intelligent ones like yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 debs102

Hi Frogstar

I was just wondering if you ever got any joy from the coach company re your original query. I have a similar problem ,,,,, My daughter needs to travel from Julianstown to Laytown for secondry school . there is the school bus but if she needs to stay behind for anything I need to collect her. It would be so helpful if she could use Matthews coaches for a reasonable rate, but the fare each way has been quoted as 5.50.... this is just crazy....am awaiting a reply from Matthews at the moment but was wondering if you had any luck ???
    rgds

Hi. My rant was about the train rather than the bus and they never came back.

Tbh the short distance travel between laytown and city north is a joke re matthews It's the same fare if you are going to Dublin (leap card)

I've a tax saver so it doesn't affect me but ive seen people get on in laytown and be charged 5 euro to go 2km up to bettystown!

I don't think kids even get a reduced fare? Sorry not much help but you could phone their office. I have seen some drivers let people on without paying for these short journeys bu obviously you can't depend on that.

She wouldn't cycle would she? I know the main road is a bit dangerous into laytown but an option is the backroads down julianstown and then over the foot bridge to laytown

• Registered Users Posts: 2 debs102

yea she does cycle now and again but on the dark nights in the winter it just isn't an option. I don't want to use Matthews everyday but on the odd occasion it would be ideal. Cant understand why they wont accommodate these kids.
    especially if there is no other option. think I will contact them again and see what they say..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Silly them if they are. A ten journey ticket with Matthews to Bettystown is €60; a weekly train ticket from Laytown into the city (Pearse) is €54, plus it gets you a wee bit further. The Matthews annual for the same trips €1,700, Irish Rail €1,350 so the train is cheaper on this run. Granted, the bus has some route advantages but the same applies for the train as you can hop onto a Dart en route if it suits.

10 journeys on Matthews with a Leap card costs 55 yoyos.......plus you get a seat and you get wifi.

In my case they don't charge me when i bring my bike (even during peak times) and they stop pretty much within about 200m of my front door so I no longer have to spend the day wondering what damage might be done to the car left all day at the train station.

That's even before you begin to look at issues such as customer service.

and btw, an annual ticket from Laytown costs €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jawgap wrote: »
    10 journeys on Matthews with a Leap card costs 55 yoyos.......plus you get a seat and you get wifi.

In my case they don't charge me when i bring my bike (even during peak times) and they stop pretty much within about 200m of my front door so I no longer have to spend the day wondering what damage might be done to the car left all day at the train station.

That's even before you begin to look at issues such as customer service.

and btw, an annual ticket from Laytown costs €2,000

Last year's rates man; it's a zombie thread.

Advertisement