Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please if possible, moving out.

Options
  • 30-10-2012 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi lads, moved in at the start of the academic year into a house in Templars. We found the house by driving around and there was a piece of paper saying for rent and a phone number on it. We moved in anyway, 900 bank transfer every month between us and no contract of any sort. Now i want to move out, I'm not talking to one of my housemates over serious personal issues and the landlord hasn't done anything to maintain the house, hasn't even got the gas turned on because he is arrears from the previous tenants. A cheaper room has come up in my friends house with a nice landlord and i want to go there. Before I do anything I want to make sure where I stand, can I just tell the landlord I'm gone? I know I'll lose my deposit but I would assume I was never getting it back anyway with the way he is! People are telling me just to move out but I'm worried about the repercussions.. Any advice please lads? BTW I'm a WIT student.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Yep just move out. No repercussions whatsoever. A months notice is required if you want your deposit back. But do ring the landlord and tell him your moving the day before you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Get out just. If you have not put your signature to any contract then you are fine.

Ask the LL for your deposit back. If he starts getting stroppy, ask if he is registered with the Revenue and the PRTB, and tell him you will be contacting them if you do not get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nickcleverley

Thanks for the replies lads. I like what you're saying but for some reason I'm afraid to approach him. Also how it could affect my housemates, even though I'm not talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you all rented the house as a unit (as opposed to by the room) then technically you moving out makes no difference to the housemates, in that they are still liable for the entire €900 a month of the rent. If you just move out then there will probably be no prepercussions for you (other than losing your deposit) but they will be left to pick up the rent.

If you want to do it by the book then you need to go to your landlord and inform him in writing that you intend to move out (giving a months notice). Your best option then would be to find someone to take over your part of the lease. The landlord would need to approve the person, but at least it would get you out of there properly and should allow you (in theory anyway) to get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nickcleverley

Thanks guys, I'm gonna text him now and see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just be aware that if you want to do things by the book then notify in writing means by letter (registed if possible), not by text. You want to cover yourself as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Was going to suggest the same. Either that, or you e-mail him ensuring you get delivered/read receipts.

Advertisement