Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentimental attachments to things

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Personally, I have no "things" that I have any emotional attachment to. For example, if my house went on fire I would not be upset to lose any particular belongings.

Obviously, I am excluding attachment to real people!
    Also, obviously, I do not want to lose anything expensive.

I have nothing that I am attached to purely for sentimental reasons.
    I am male.

Any other views??

(Originally entered in "Beer Guts and receding hairlines")

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'd be initially devastated to lose my photos. Computer and gadgets would also be sorely missed!
    But as long as my friends/family were unharmed, I think I'd get over it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Loads of stuff! My instruments, music equipment, sheet music, all my drawings and writing, including on my laptop. These things are not replacable!

I'd get over it, but I hope it'll never happen :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

id cards for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

My DVD collection. It really is my pride and joy at the moment. I've hundreds of the bloody things, some rare and irreplacable ones, so I'd feel a real sting if they were to be destroyed.

Also, my clothes... or at least the finer, more expensive ones (my suits, my good slacks, my sports coats/blazers, my bespoke shirts, etc.)... I'd hate for them to be damaged/destroyed.

But like above... once my friends and loved ones were safe, I could probably replace the majority of my material possessions almost to the last item, and even if I didn't.... I'd get over it, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Obviously once my friends and family were unharmed I'd be fine

At the same time - while material goods can't buy you happiness, I've spent a long time accumulating various pieces, bit by bit, that I'd be sickened to lose

My TV, media player, PC which is setup in my sitting room for all my multimedia needs, laptop, notes, books I've been studying would also suck

I'd get over it but I'd be fairly upset about it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my cello :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Left unchecked, I'm a total hoarder and I think it's because when people give me a book or a movie, I owe it to them to keep it even if I'll never touch it again. I recently moved and had to clear out a load of stuff I'd accumulated and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be... Almost liberating.

That said, things like my guitars, bike, some of my jackets and shirts and at the very least, the backups of all my files would be high on the list of things to save.

I get a bit pissed off when people say it's just stuff... It's MY stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

lost everything in a fire a few months ago, the only thing i cared about was my snowboard and a painting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I do have sentimental attachments to things. They spark memories.

If there was a fire, the only things I'd really be devastated to lose are - the necklaces my deceased Dad gave me, my baby book (which was lovingly written by my deceased Mum), photos.

I would be truly devastated if I lost the above. Objects like clothes, techno-gadget stuff (including laptops, cameras, TV's, DVD's, CD's, sound systems, phones) etc. are replaceable, so not important. Obviously, the only thing that really matters is people.

Edit: think OP wants to find out whether the gender of posters influences sentimentality...I'm female.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Someone once said that you spend your 20's accumulating stuff and your 30's getting rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

If there were a fire then most of the things I have are replaceable such as laptop xbox, furniture etc. The only things I'd have a major attachment to would be my art work, antique books and backup hard drive with years of photos on it, but most of all it would the box I keep of various mementos, mostly worthless things to anyone else, a stone from a memorable trip, a letter from my first serious girlfriend, a ticket from the first big concert I went to and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Someone once said that you spend your 20's accumulating stuff and your 30's getting rid of it.
    I bucked that trend :):o I could open a museum. Of what god knows, but still...

I'd be fairly sentimental over quite a few things I've gathered around me. TBH sometimes more than with people. I've lost mates over the years and once the chapter is closed I don't look back, but if I was to lose some objects I'd be way more pissed off about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I eat my breakfast cereal with a spoon I have had since I was a toddler. It's a tiny manky thing with a tiny engraving of a teddy bear on the handle but I refuse to get rid of it and would induce physical harm on anyone that tried to take it.

I love my spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

All my stuff. I love my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I keep a very big Ikea bedroom dresser of cables in my study, everything from power, data, speaker and AV cables.

Why? Because if ever I throw one out I know it will be guaranteed that I'LL F*CKING NEED IT THE NEXT WEEK!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I keep a very big Ikea bedroom dresser of cables in my study, everything from power, data, speaker and AV cables.

Why? Because if ever I throw one out I know it will be guaranteed that I'LL F*CKING NEED IT THE NEXT WEEK!

Everything must be kept!

picture.php?albumid=1592&pictureid=11085

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Yah I'm a sentimental sap and have a lot of things that can't be replaced. Jewelry I inherited, and gifts from people that mean things to me. I love to keep memoirs from travelling and have made a bunch of scrapbooks that can't be replaced. I like to keep a lot of junk too that means stuff to me! Just looking around my room now, a plastic crown from when I won prom queen, the notice board I got in college in America that has a photo of me on it and I drew myself like a cowboy, all the stuff I steal when drunk :pac: And my precious teddies!

Expensive stuff is covered by house insurance, would be pissed off but sure can be replaced. Would be devastating if I lost the irreplaceable things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't get over losing.My guitar and one of my guns being the main items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

thought I lost my zippo a couple of months back and I cried about it. It might have been because I was drunk, I've never cried over anything like that before but it was (I thought) one of a kind and I'd had it for years and always managed to keep a hold on it. I've had plenty of others go missing, people see them and just pick them up and run off and I couldn't give a fiddlers. I don't even know how I got this one, it's like someone important gave it to me and I don't remember who. I bought a replacement which just wasn't the same and then I found the old one. So appy. frickin lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I used to be quite sentimental about stuff, I would keep cinema stubs andairline tickets and stuff like that. I dunno what changed but I never keep stuff like that anymore, and if I ever stumble across any I get rid of it, in fact I think I still have travel diaries at home I must dump! These days I find that stuff seems to weigh me down, I have my memories and thats enough for me.

IF my flat were to go up in flames, I'd probly be most upset about losing my necklaces, it's all cheap stuff, but quirky and not easily replaceable, but it wouldn't be a huge deal for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I did a massive clearout of dvds and stuff a few months ago, years back I wouldnt lend people dvds never mind sell them, but once they're gone its quite therapeutic to rid yourself of excess stuff.

thing I'd miss the most would be my ps3, I use it for a bunch of stuff, easily replaced though, I have a hard drive with pics of previous hols and stuff, that'd be first thing grabbed in the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm not very sentimental about stuff. I'm definitely not a hoarder either.
    I have moved around quite a lot and I always seem to throw out loads of stuff each time.

If there was a fire I'd only make sure I'd had the dogs with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Definitely use to be very, very attached to all my stuff, could never throw anything out. But now in the last few years I've gotten better at being strict with myself and doing a clear out of things each year. I do not lend books or DVDs or games to anyone anymore as every single time I have they have come back damaged, broken or not at all! So folks can go feic themselves! :pac:

No hope in hell of me throwing out some of my childhood teddies though! Even when I move out into my own place they will be coming with me no doubt about that :D:D Oh and I'm female.

If there was a fire I'd have to take my laptop would be seriously gutted to lose all those photos and videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I hate clutter All my worldly posessions can fit in one big box which is about 28 inch wide and 20 inchs deep, other then my 3 snow-boards, surfboard and skate board

I don't belive in clutter its kinda like a messy room messy mind.. messy house messy way of life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Scans and the only photo I have with my deceased child.
    The last birthday card I recieved from my mum before she died.
    The last photo I have with all my brothers and sister with my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Very sentimental about old letters and photos and diaries and notes from people and trinkets.

once my sister was abroad for the year and because my parents intended to redecorate the room while she was gone, she left her room with two giant binbags of stuff in it.. one for the bin, one ALL her stuff she wasn't bringing with her -all mementos and stuff.

they threw out the wrong one. i'll never forget the day she came home, nobody in my family had ever been away for a year before and it was such a happy moment to have her back and then she went upstairs and we all realised what happened and it was awful, my parents felt so so awful over it, i almost feel worse for them than my sister!

worst part is the two bags sat there all year and it was only a week before she came they threw them out and did up the room. Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Actually nothing! Its all replaceable, I've my pics online so that's it! Some jewellery and notes but it's not the end of the world! I've moved a lot too so de-clutter about once every 6months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Maguined wrote: »
    Everything must be kept!
    picture.php?albumid=1592&pictureid=11085

Also:

Yes yes YES!

In fact, inspired by the above, I would go as far as proposing a 'post a picture of your cable drawer' thread in TGC for all the men here who like being able to root around for a phone-to jack lead or a firewire cable.

Nothing more manly than having a drawer full of cables. It drove my ma mad when I lived at home. Now my cables roam throughout my bedroom, free from persecution and the threat of the bin.

Women just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Oh god yes! My harp, my clothes, my books, my letters(I have a penpal and yes we actually do the whole handwritten letter thingie, and yes I'm mad, in case you're wondering) pictures, jewellery will be sorely missed also. Bascially just everything. There's a reason why I have it, it implies it's needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Two months back I lost the only material object that meant anything to me: my father's watch. I wore it every day since he died and I when I realised that it was not in my jacket pocket where I left it (was on my way into town to get the strap fixed) I almost felt worse than the day he died, if that is possible.

It was the only thing of his I had, that I really wanted as it was me that gave the watch to him. Even now I feel sick in my stomach thinking it's gone. I went to every Garda station, bus depot lost property sections, customer services in shops and even to the council to see if any street cleaners had found it - none had.

Advertisement