Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it really that much hassle?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Is it really that much hassle to wash the sink after shaving, to put the toilet lid down, to put dirty clothes in the laundry basket?
    Surely such things are do expected of most adults?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

not sure I'd trade all those things for new Dodge Charger, but, for 68 Mustang Fastback i would ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think they do that to express hostility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Shaving - sometimes I just genuinely miss some blades of hair in the sink.

Toilet lid is put back to it's original position, however is it that huge of a deal when we do forget? It's 2 seconds maximum. Also who said the rightful position of a toilet seat is down?

I forget stuff, we all do. It's not hostility or fighting the power, it's genuinely forgetfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is it really that much hassle to wash the sink after shaving, to put the toilet lid down, to put dirty clothes in the laundry basket?

..eh...what's the context OP? ...is there an issue you are experiencing you would like to elaborate on?...do please enlighten us..:)...we're always willing to help here on the TGC....;)
    .edit...or so I've been told...I'm new here and finding my feet:o... but I'm sure some of the regular posters will help you out and come to your assistance very quickly....
    ...you appear stressed...now, as you know---being a mod, and all that---...we cannot give medical advice on any thread on boards.ie...but shur--- if it's something fairly straightforward....---shur we might be able to make an exception on the lines of 'alternative' (legal mind!!) medicine.....

...tell me...when did you start first feeling this way?..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

see the prob is ladies you play games. do stuff as a way of being pasive aggressive. we guys dont. genuinely we just forget stuff. we dont mean to annoy you. your just spoilt and get easily annoyed:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

To be fair, my sister regularly forgets to flush (drives me mad), doesn't clean her room or put her stuff in the wash basket, and forgets to clean up after herself in the kitchen, or rinse down the bath after her shower.
    So it's not just guys who do that stuff.
    But there's things my brother and my dad do constantly too.

I think it should be expected of anyone who lives with other people to do the basics really. I put the toilet lid down after me (more hygienic when you flush).
    I know sometimes some people just forget and that's ok, we all forget stuff. But I guess if it's something done allllll the time it can grate.

Another example, my mother has been married to my dad for 30years this year. Yet she still never puts enough milk in his tea. That man drinks at least 4-5 cups a day... you'd think after this long she'd have it right. He never puts too much in her tea when he makes it. (she likes a drop)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think the point of the ad is it's all things men (specifically men born into the American capitalist ideal) do that they don't really want to do, or view as a chore (I know the last time I went away with just a bunch of guys the toilet and sink remained uncleaned for the duration)

and like American ideals, escape from this mundaneness is found by spending money they don't have on poorly built, overly expensive American cars.

I do like however that the marketing dept. have preempted the obvious similarities with the viral video below, by actually having the guy from that viral video in the ad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Simple answer - Yes. :p

Long answer - not really, but I can be quite lazy at home.
    It is my space, and if I miss the laundry basket, I don't see it as a big deal.
    A more concerning feature of my appartment is the collection of tools, bike cleaning products and grease and oil soaked rags you have to share the bathroom, lounge and hallway with (I have managed to keep them out of the kitchen and bedroom).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

P.C. wrote: »
    Simple answer - Yes. :p

I posted this picture before but it is still relevant. I find it to be often true. What a man views as acceptably tidy and clean is usually a standard a lot lower than a womans (in general)

My job doesn't require me to wear ironed shirts, in fact I wear t-shirts and jeans to my job. So when clothes are washed and dried I leave them in a pile (usually on the bed in the spare room). It makes no logical sense to me to hang them up, when I know the very next day I'm going to be taking one of them out of the press. Why not leave them all out in the open in a pile and I can just take from the top and then work my way through them?

It seems like an efficient use of space and time to me, but the OH is forever hanging them up in the off chance that someone might need to drop over and use the spare bed and see all my clean clothes in a pile :confused: Nobody has stayed with us in months, and even if they did, it would take less than a minute to move the pile into the other room and then another 5 minutes to hang them up then if needs be.

20100122.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Is it really that much hassle to wash the sink after shaving

I don't shave. Hassle.
    , to put the toilet lid down,

I go in the yard.

to put dirty clothes in the laundry basket?

I wear the same clothes day in and day out and when they are dirty I take them off and throw them straight into the washing machine and put it going.

Wow! Noone's ever called me an adult before! :pac:

Seriously, why put the toilet lid down? It doesn't stop the microscopic droplets generated from flushing from spreading out. Take a micro sample from the mirror of a "lid down" bathroom-it'll open your eyes. Sh*t (and e. coli) gets everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Seriously, why put the toilet lid down? It doesn't stop the microscopic droplets generated from flushing from spreading out. Take a micro sample from the mirror of a "lid down" bathroom-it'll open your eyes. Sh*t (and e. coli) gets everywhere.

But it still helps, and stops splashback on the seat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I love the presumption women have that the toilet seat's default position is down. Why not up? I don't care what position it's in when I arrive as I survey the situation and adjust accordingly; problem solved. Who would be stupid enough to sit right down on the porcelain rim anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

star-pants wrote: »
    But it still helps, and stops splashback on the seat etc.

An open toilet, in my view, beckons the patron, invites him/her to sit awhile and relax.

An open, non-lidded toilet says,

"I am here. I welcome whatever waste you impart. I do not judge."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Valmont wrote: »
    I love the presumption women have that the toilet seat's default position is down. Why not up? I don't care what position it's in when I arrive as I survey the situation and adjust accordingly; problem solved. Who would be stupid enough to sit right down on the porcelain rim anyway?

Middle of the night, half awake/half asleep Giselle staggers from her bed to the bathroom. She remembers the toilet seat being down, and likes it like this since women always use it down, and men use it in both positions, so it makes sense to leave it down.

But on touchdown, in the dim light of the landing coming through the slightly ajar bathroom door, she finds that instead of the smooth, slightly warm plastic she's been expecting, she meets cold porcelain and - horror of horrors - droplets!!!!

Giselle is half-asleep, but Giselle is NOT stupid!

What Giselle is is very angry.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

It's because we don't love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Will wrote: »
    Toilet lid is put back to it's original position, however is it that huge of a deal when we do forget? It's 2 seconds maximum. Also who said the rightful position of a toilet seat is down?

Hygienically speaking, the best thing to do is put the seat and lid down before flushing. However, I know of almost no one who does this. When people talk about putting the seat down they generally mean just the seat. Why the hell would I put the seat down after? It's not forget fullness, I just don't see the problem with leaving it up, I've never understood the argument. Men would equally berate women for not putting the seat back up. Unfair.
    Will wrote: »
    I forget stuff, we all do. It's not hostility or fighting the power, it's genuinely forgetfulness.

Nah, it's a difference in priorities. It doesn't matter to you, so you don't bother remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Is it really that much hassle to not use our razor to shave under your arms,to not use all our full fat milk while your own slimline sits there untoched or to not wear our down time clothes around the house while you are having a "fat" day.

Of course its not.

Then again,3/4 of us arent ridiculously handsome American models.

Has it really come to this Thaedydal?
    :rolleyes:

Seperate bathrooms. Its the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Is it really that much hassle to not use our razor to shave under your arms,to not use all our full fat milk while your own slimline sits there untoched or to not wear our down time clothes around the house while you are having a "fat" day.

Of course its not.

Then again,3/4 of us arent ridiculously handsome American models.

Has it really come to this Thaedydal?
    :rolleyes:

Ick that is unhygienic really I'd think less of a person who borrowed and kept borrowing a razor like that, and slimline is coloured water not milk.

Oh and the thread is not meant to be mondo serious, I think the ad is pretty crap and a lot of what is in it is whinging, so I started the thread to see what you guy thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boston wrote: »
    Hygienically speaking, the best thing to do is put the seat and lid down before flushing.
    +1

Nah, it's a difference in priorities. It doesn't matter to you, so you don't bother remembering.
    I would agree, but for the most part its not deliberate and men and women would be guilty of it equally. We're all self centered to one degree or other. Nature, nurture and manners make the difference.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

My girlfriend is messy like me. I fúcking love her for it.

I never, ever could understand tidiness/cleanliness paranoia. I do understand that being clean and tidy is important, but not everything has to be 100% clean and tidy 100% of the time.

Yep. I get nervous if things are too perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I saw this analysis a few years back in an economic journal and it concludes that the selfish rule is the optimal situation. Its the same for any shared situation cars, computers etc.

If you share a car you adjust the seat when you sit in the drivers seat.

https://www.msu.edu/~choijay/etiquette.pdf

So if you cant bear sharing get seperate facilities. By complaining about the toilet seat position you are assuming that the a female will always be the next user that the female is too lazy to put it in the down position.

Once when my daughter had a sleepover I put signs in all the bathrooms in frames saying that for the comfort of the male occupants that females were cordially asked to place the toilet seat in the up position after use.

There were hoots and one of the girls took a sign home to her Dad. Good times.

CDfm wrote: »

So if you cant bear sharing get seperate facilities. By complaining about the toilet seat position you are assuming that the a female will always be the next user that the female is too lazy to put it in the down position.

Men use the loo with the seat both up and down. Women use it down. The majority of the time the loo is used its with the seat down.

It assumes nothing when the lid is down.

Giselle wrote: »
    Men use the loo with the seat both up and down. Women use it down. The majority of the time the loo is used its with the seat down.

nah, that assumes urination happens at the same rate as defecation.

nah, that assumes urination happens at the same rate as deification.

Who said anything about making me a god? :D

Nah, I merely make you feel like you're in heaven.

Nah, I merely make you feel like you're in heaven.

You'll have to try harder, I can't feel a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Giselle wrote: »

That assumes all women use it when the lid is down or are to too posh to touch the lid .

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    That assumes all women use it when the lid is down or are to too posh to touch the lid .

I don't think many people use it when the lid is down.
    Recipe for disaster.

I don't know any woman who would use the loo habitually with the seat up.

Advertisement