Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT tech recommendation

Options
  • 31-08-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for someone that can help solve a known hardware design flaw on my laptop with regard to poor ventilation. It runs hot causing my fan to run loud and erratically and it basically needs surgery.

I've seen that some tech savvy people can perform some modifications to the heat syncs and hardware to get them to handle the heat better and I need to find someone trustworthy to perform something similar to mine. I couldn't handle another college term with my fan squealing in my ear- I'd fire the laptop out the window at this stage :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

First step is to open the laptop and vacuum out any fluff. This is usually the cause of overheating. Try that first, it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

After opening it up and cleaning it I would make sure that it's not running too many processes. It could be full of bloatware which is occupying half of your RAM and putting pressure on the CPU which then heats things up...

iElectron in the city centre are good, they're just off of South Mall. Do a Google for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm looking for someone that can help solve a known hardware design flaw on my laptop with regard to poor ventilation. It runs hot causing my fan to run loud and erratically and it basically needs surgery.

I've seen that some tech savvy people can perform some modifications to the heat syncs and hardware to get them to handle the heat better and I need to find someone trustworthy to perform something similar to mine. I couldn't handle another college term with my fan squealing in my ear- I'd fire the laptop out the window at this stage :o

An alternative idea would be to buy a "cooling pad" like this
    I have an old HP laptop and the main fan only works when it feels like it. I think the pad cost me 25/30 Euro here in Cork.
    It's got a USB powered fan, so it's not completely silent, but would be cheaper that going to a techie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Sometimes i mod the fan so it runs at 100% all the time. If you open the case and drill more air holes and use that in conjunction with a cooling pad. Its also worth taking out the heat fan and cleaning it and repaste the cpu/gpu with thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sometimes i mod the fan so it runs at 100% all the time. If you open the case and drill more air holes and use that in conjunction with a cooling pad. Its also worth taking out the heat fan and cleaning it and repaste the cpu/gpu with thermal paste.

This is the kind of thing I need to do but tbh I have had little luck trying to fix my own machine so finding someone who would throw a few creative solutions like this is what I'm after. The cost is a secondary factor as it's a good laptop and replacing it any time soon is out of the question for me.

I have been running a cool pad and there isn't that much heat being released. I think it's just that vent system is particularly prone to clogging anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement