Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communicators

Options
  • 13-05-2003 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Don't get me wrong,i love Star Trek, but does anyone notice that sometimes the people on Star Trek don't press their communicator, they just say eg. "Worf to engineering". Does anyone know why they can mysteriously communicate without touching their communicator? oh and is the speaker in the badge or is it somewhere on the roof or something?

just something to think about,
    i'm bored...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

When they are in certain areas of the ship, e.g bridge, enginnering they don't have to use their badges - the ship has a comm system too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭[P]*Deus_Alpha

oh, yeah. but wait, how does the computer know when to close the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Em.. i'm guessing since computers are so advanced in the "future" that they can identify punctuation etc..... either that or it's magic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

um i can get my phone to ring someone by talking to it (you look like a twat but eh)..............so in the future why couldnt a computer that opers at the speed of light not be able to turn off a comms link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

So lets say that Worf and Data are talking on the bridge,

Worf - So I was on call last night
    Data - So
    Worf - Well here's the thing
    Data - Oh Gossip
    Worf - The ship was about to explode and Picard said "lets send Worf to Enginnering"
    Data - Yeah hes a big d**k when he does that. Dont you wish he'd drown in his Earl Grey.
    Worf - Yeah what a tit.

So when Worf said "worf to enineering", Did EVERYONE in that section hear the conversation? Including all other senior staff. Wouldnt it be safer just to use the Aul telephone?

• Advertisement

It's a super computer!! it's kinda like Data only in ship form. Plus that and the space magic that floats around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

And how when picard says "picard to worf" worf hears "picard to worf" considering the computer couldn't know he was going to say worf at the end of the sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

maybe the computer delays the "picard to worf" bit for a second or 2 and then carrys on in real time........as they always pause for a responds

no one answered my question

To answer your question grimes I think we have to refer to puncuation/tone in their speach.
    For example
    Picard says: "Warf To Enginnering" in a loudish voice/tone so that the computer can register that he's talking to it.
    Example 2: Picard talking to someone, "So I was on last night and I had to send Warf To Enginnering last night, the funny thing was that dumb klingon went"
    Picard was talking to someone in the same tone and thus the computer knew it wasn't talking to him.

• Advertisement

wow.... if the computer can do that in the 24th Century, Imagine the advancments in the "alternative" produts. He he he

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The fact its fiction and is not real aside....

It is obviously tone of voice. When they use the communicator without pressing buttons, they always use a particular tone of voice, a tone of command.. The computer can obviously pick that up. Exactly the same as if i used primative voice software to run windows.. If i was just talking normally and happened to say "windows explorer" during the conversation then nothing would happen, if i use a loud voice of command up will come windows explorer.. its simple IMO!

Advertisement