Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with American measurements.

Options
  • 07-04-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

A lot of the recipes I'm using lately are American and all the amounts are in cups. This is fine when I'm baking and using flour, sugar etc as I can easily find gram equivalents on the net.

But, when it comes to things like canned or dried beans, vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast (all things I used yesterday) or other savoury ingredients I'm struggling.

Obviously a cup of beans is gonna weigh a lot more than a cup of flour, so theres no hard and fast rule.

Is it easier to just buy a set of American cup measures? I assume then that whatever ingredient it is I just fill whichever cup measure I need, 1/3 or 1/2 for example.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

This blog has a list of popular american conversions. http://dinnerdujour.org/conversions/ i use it all the time as i can never remember the weights.

OR you could buy a set of cup measures. Aldi are doing some this thursday for €2:49 https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-10th-april/products-detail-page/ps/p/stainless-steel-measuring-cupsspoons/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I hate using cup measures! Find it takes a lot longer than using a scales. So I bought a set of measuring cups, which I use the first time I try a recipe, and if it's a success I'll make it again and weigh each thing after measuring it in the cups, then write the recipe into my trusty recipe book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks! That list seems to have a few more on it than I'd found before. I should probably get some cup measures too for the more obscure stuff.

Stoopid Americans! :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stoopid Americans! :o:pac:
    Not sure I agree there, well not in relation to recipe measurements anyway :D.

For many recipes, it's all about relative volumes of ingredients ... 1 part this, 2 parts that etc., and using volume measurements makes much more sense in that situation. It also matches the way most people casually judge quantities when they aren't weighing ingredients, i.e. by eye.

By the way, the Scandinavians also use volume measurements, although they use dl, or decilitres (100ml), instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Alun wrote: »
    Not sure I agree there, well not in relation to recipe measurements anyway :D.

For many recipes, it's all about relative volumes of ingredients ... 1 part this, 2 parts that etc., and using volume measurements makes much more sense in that situation. It also matches the way most people casually judge quantities when they aren't weighing ingredients, i.e. by eye.

By the way, the Scandinavians also use volume measurements, although they use dl, or decilitres (100ml), instead.

using dl is the same as using ml, just with less 0s

10dl
    1000ml
    1l

how is one different to the other?

Also, "cups" is a ridiculous measurement, and your post makes no sense in any context, a recipe can just as easily be scaled using normal measurements

for example, pastry

100g Flour
    50g Butter
    ice cold water to bring together, added slowly

need double that?

200g flour
    100g butter
    ice cold water to bind, add slowly

I don't know how that is different to using 1, 2 or more cups of ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The one American measurement that bakes my noodle is sticks of butter. I can never, ever remember how much a stick is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I've completely given up using American recipes, if it says cups - I find another recipe. I know there are lots of sites offering conversion tables, I have bought a set of cups but it is still a pain. I just don't get it. What is the problem with using scales :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The only problem I ever have is when they suggest a cup measurement of a solid block, ie. butter.
    Other than that, I fing using cup measurements much quicker to work with. Just scoop, level and plop. No messing taking bits out and adding bits in ir badly calibrated scales.

I can't switch between both effortlessly, I really don't see the issue.
    It also means I get to break out my fancy clay cups. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of using cups to measure for baking. It's fairly convenient and works ok if the recipe can tolerate vagueness in the quantities, but only some of them can. Sometimes you really need to be precise. And yeah, the sticks of butter bug me too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

1lb of butter(normal kerrygold block) is 4 sticks

Tecso have just gotten a set of cup measurements in in the last few week.

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    1lb of butter(normal kerrygold block) is 4 sticks
    Cheers. I remember there being four sticks to a pack; I just couldn't remember whether the pack was a pound. Would I be right in saying that there are eight tablespoons of butter to a stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Also, "cups" is a ridiculous measurement, and your post makes no sense in any context, a recipe can just as easily be scaled using normal measurements

You're absolutely right, both volume and weight recipes can be easily scaled.

What Alun was referring to was that volume and weight are different and not interchangeable.

So for example if we have 1 cup oats, 1 cup butter and you know that 1 cup of oats is 100g, that doesn't mean you also need 100g of butter (you should need more butter by weight, but I may have gotten that completely wrong).
    Different densities etc.

If recipes are really simple and just say 1 part X to 2 parts Y without specifiying weight or volume, it is likely that they are referring to volume because we can judge volume easier than weight (again densities).

Finally, dl and ml are same as you said, but ml and mg are not.

Anyway, diverison over, let normal service resume :)

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got these measuring cups for a present, they're a lifesaver (and they take up almost no space in my tiny kitchen as they nest): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fred-Cups-Limited-Edition-Red/dp/B00APXEDAK/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Throw away all those silly cups and get one of these

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8429377/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780847%7CKitchenware%7C14418477/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418477%7CKitchen+scales%7C14418488.htm

So much easier, you can place your bowl on top and just keep pressing the button back to zero as you add and weigh. You also end up with 1 mixing bowl to wash instead of those cups :D

jos28 wrote: »

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8429377/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780847%7CKitchenware%7C14418477/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418477%7CKitchen+scales%7C14418488.htm

So much easier, you can place your bowl on top and just keep pressing the button back to zero as you add and weigh. You also end up with 1 mixing bowl to wash instead of those cups :D

Or get one in Aldi today for half the price.

All of which misses the point that it's all very well having a scale that tells you grams and ounces, when your recipe specifies cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

jos28 wrote: »

I have one if those and it's great - but not useful for US recipes that are only in cups, with no weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Yeah I already have a scale that does ounces and grams.

I will pick up the aldi set of cups I think. I will still use grams for baking as its easy to find conversions or I can weigh out cups of regularly used ingredients and make a note.

but it will be really handy for savoury/unusual ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yeah I already have a scale that does ounces and grams.

I will pick up the aldi set of cups I think. I will still use grams for baking as its easy to find conversions or I can weigh out cups of regularly used ingredients and make a note.

but it will be really handy for savoury/unusual ingredients.

I used to keep a list of conversions from cups to grams/ grams to ounces/ gas mark to degrees Celsius etc sellotaped to the inside of one of the kitchen cupboards until we got a new kitchen and the list was flung out along with the old doors :(

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Cheers. I remember there being four sticks to a pack; I just couldn't remember whether the pack was a pound. Would I be right in saying that there are eight tablespoons of butter to a stick?

That's correct, each tablespoon equals half an ounce and each stick is "a quarter", I find that helps. I'm very comfortable with US measurements as being utterly ancient myself and still thinking in "old money", their lack of metric measurements fits in well with my old tables from school days! I have several pyrex measuring jugs which I use instead of cup measures (I've bought some but they always seem to walk :mad:). One important difference to remember is that the American pint is only 16 fluid ounces instead of 20 for our pint. After that, it's fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Love the simple US system of cups, and would recommend just buying a set, even if only for US recipes. As mentioned, main drawback of cups is in measuring things like a cup of butter, etc, and of course recipes are easier to scale up with a scales, none of which are biggies. Aside from that, cups are very easy to use, so would just give it a whirl and if you really hate it (I don't know why people do..), simply measure in cups for your first recipe and weigh it all so you never have to use them for that recipe again.

I have both cups and scales, and with the ease of picking up a set of inexpensive cups, there's probably not any real reason not to have both. I tend to stay away from conversions though (unless I do the conversion myself), as I've found so much conflicting/ inaccurate information around, and it's one less variable to go wrong by avoiding it :)

ps a cup holds 225- 250ml of liquid, so if you don't have a measuring cup on hand, simply see which cup/ mug holds that much liquid, and use that as your cup measure if you're stuck/ don't wish to splash out on a set of cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

And then of course a US cup is not quite the same as an Australian cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

janmaree wrote: »
    One important difference to remember is that the American pint is only 16 fluid ounces instead of 20 for our pint. After that, it's fairly easy.

And to confuse things further, a US fluid ounce is slightly bigger than an imperial fluid ounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

oscarBravo wrote: »
    janmaree wrote: »
    That's correct, each tablespoon equals half an ounce and each stick is "a quarter",.... One important difference to remember is that the American pint is only 16 fluid ounces instead of 20 for our pint. After that, it's fairly easy.
    4umbrellas wrote: »
    And then of course a US cup is not quite the same as an Australian cup...
    And to confuse things further, a US fluid ounce is slightly bigger than an imperial fluid ounce.

<gives lovely, metric weighing scales a big hug>

metric-system.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Only by 4% though, not really significant for most practical purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    Only by 4% though, not really significant for most practical purposes.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I have a set of stainless steel measuring cups and they're brilliant. I use them all the time. They were less than a tenner and a great addition to the kitchen.

Advertisement