Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi quality raw fish

Options
  • 29-03-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi would you be to help me to source a place where I can get good quality fish for sushi?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Freshness is paramount, so I guess your nearest fishmonger, maybe ask do they supply fish for sushi restaurants etc... most of them are well informed and knowledgeable.

Have ye seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi on netflix, its brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Where? No point in suggestions for fishermen who deliver to your door in Teelin if you're based in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Sorry I should specify, I'm based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Anywhere you can get good quality fish is good enough, you should freeze the fish before use though as is usually done, no matter what the source, to kill any bacteria and/or parasites. I would recommend Kish as well. There is a myth of asking for "sushi grade". It doesn't exist, even if some mongers entertain it. Fresh fish is paramount, and freezing it makes it suitable to eat raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Giblet wrote: »
    Anywhere you can get good quality fish is good enough, you should freeze the fish before use though as is usually done, no matter what the source, to kill any bacteria and/or parasites. I would recommend Kish as well. There is a myth of asking for "sushi grade". It doesn't exist, even if some mongers entertain it. Fresh fish is paramount, and freezing it makes it suitable to eat raw.

Thank you :) that explains a lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It needs to be a deep freeze, -15 or more, for 24 hours. You may not be able to do this at home. Then let it thaw out in the fridge, so there is some prep time involved.

Yeh freezing is worldwide best practice now. good article about here...

April 8, 2004
    Sushi Fresh From the Deep . . . the Deep Freeze

By JULIA MOSKIN
    To many food lovers, sushi has become a near religion, and a cornerstone of the faith is that the fish is extraordinarily fresh. Its priests are chefs with seemingly mystical abilities to summon fresh fish from all corners of the globe.

But because of health concerns and growing demand, 50 to 60 percent of sushi in the United States is frozen at some point in its journey from the ocean, according to wholesalers. And rare is the sushi restaurant that tells customers upfront that they may be eating fish that has been in deep freeze for up to two years.

Most would be even more surprised to learn that if the sushi has not been frozen, it is illegal to serve it in the United States.

Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw -- whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare -- must be frozen first, to kill parasites. ''I would desperately hope that all the sushi we eat is frozen,'' said George Hoskin, a director of the agency's Office of Seafood. Tuna, a deep-sea fish with exceptionally clean flesh, is the only exception to the rule.

<Sherlock-snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All fish sold as sushi in the EU must have been deep frozen first (mainly to kill dangerous parasites)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Giblet wrote: »

What he said......
    unkel wrote: »
    All fish sold as sushi in the EU must have been deep frozen first (mainly to kill dangerous parasites)

But freezing won't kill any bacteria, and nearly all fish sold in the EU now will have been previously frozen (-20 for 48hrs) to kill off the parasites, which are potentially dangerous, but are not really that dangerous.

The problem with re-freezing the fish is that domestic freezers (even the best of them) will never be as quick as a blast freezer - this means larger ice crystal in the fish which will disrupt the texture of the flesh.

I'd go with a good fishmonger (I wouldn't disagree with Kish Fish and I'd also put in a mention for Nicky's Plaice in Howth or George's Fish Shop, in Monkstown, if you're south side) and tell him what you want the fish for and they'll guide you well. Buy it fresh and use it promptly.

EDIT: - it's -20oC for 24 hours

• Advertisement
Advertisement