Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which cassette compatiable for wheelupgrade

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

Am looking at buying a set of Fulcrum 3's for my bike.

Can anyone tell me what cassette will work best. I have Boardman Team carbon which has SRAM rival and i think its a compact.

Just trying to get my head around this and make sure what i get is compatiable.

exsting cassettee needs replacing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Buy the same one again if your happy with the ratios on the old one. If your not sure on which one you have count the number of teeth on the largest sprocket and the smallest and thats the one your looking for, ie. 12/27 or 11/28 or maybe 11/25 etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ya wanna get something with the same number of cogs that you already have. Eg. 9 spd, 10 spd or 11 spd.

Then, as mentioned, go for the same ratios if you are comfortable with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 onsite

Thanks CJC and RAAM its a 11-25 at the back. and 50-34 on the front

I havent cycled on another version so unsure whether an 11-28 etc would be better. suppose my question is what is the standard setting at the back that most people use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

onsite wrote: »
    Thanks CJC and RAAM its a 11-25 at the back. and 50-34 on the front

I havent cycled on another version so unsure whether an 11-28 etc would be better. suppose my question is what is the standard setting at the back that most people use?

I always seem to bring bike towards the mountains and use 11-28 with a compact. Use the 28 rare enough but wouldn't be without it.
    It will be gappier than 11-23 or similar but that doesn't bother me.

Buy a cheaper one, tiagra or whatever, probably only a weight difference anyhow and see how you go. €21 for a tiagra 12-28 on chainreaction cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

onsite wrote: »

If you find hills difficult with the 11/25 then get a 11/28 or a12/27 which will be less happy than the 11/28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 onsite

Thanks CJC

I dont find the hills too tough with currrent one so on that basis may be i should just get a similiar cassette

good call ford can test out a different one - thats pretty cheap

Advertisement