Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bitta bother changing tyres.

• 23-10-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Out on a spin today and my back wheel literly blew up!! When I got a replacement (folding) tyre I encountered a bit of bother changing them over. I cant get the new tyre onto the wheel Should this be the case with folded tyres?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

No folding tyres should be easier to mount.
    What kinda difficulty are ya having

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Never had a problem with folding tyres myself. What exactly is wrong? Can't stretch it over the rim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What Tyres are they? I have managed to fit folding Tyres without the need for levers but generally the last inch or so will require a lever to help get it onto the rim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Yeah it's getting the last couple of inches of tyre over the rims that's causing the problem. Can't remember the brand if tyre they are. Any tips?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rule 5, or use tyre levers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

What I do when faced with that is this.....
    I put a small bit of air in the tube so it raises the tyre out/up a bit then as I let the air back you should be able to slowly edge the tyre over bit by bit.
    Make sure the tube isnt snagged between the tyre and the rim obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Also, try a little soap, fairy liquid or such. Wet the rim/tyre with it and it should help tyre slip into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Another thing worth trying. Push the tyre bead on the opposite side of the rim right down into the wheel well and work the bead around towards the unmounted part. This should give a bit more slack to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

snollup wrote: »
    Also, try a little soap, fairy liquid or such. Wet the rim/tyre with it and it should help tyre slip into place.

U going to carry a bottle of fairy liquid with u evey time you go out? If you cant get the tyre onto the wheel with just your hands....try a different tyre brand. We are talking about a road bike tyre right?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

This guy has the technique

This guy does not

though if its cold, you might need a little more strength as well.

I've got folding Gator Skin 23c and never had an issue fixing a puncture, cause after 12,000km's I've never had a pucture, well just one maybe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement