Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post -

• 07-06-2012 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

So I have been expecting a rather large parcel and was out on Friday. I came home to find a 'Sorry we missed you' slip detailing the various methods by which I could retrieve my parcel. No problem there.

I choose the redelivery method, pay the 3.00 euro fee by credit card online. It tells me that I will have my parcel within two working days. So by yesterday at the latest.

MOnday comes and no parcel. Tuesday comes and no parcel. I was up at the crack of dawn and downstairs both days waiting for it to arrive.

Halfway through Tuesday the status of the item changed from 'Item at depot' to '2nd delivery failure'. The status changed immediately after my postman slipped a letter through the door and then left in his van.

He didn't knock or ring the bell at all. I call Customer Services and I'm told that the item was attempted to be delivered and that it was being sent back to the sender (in the UK).

Now, I was at home and up early waiting for the parcel and the postman definately did not try to deliver it, he didnt knock on my door or anything.

I found customer services really unhelpful and am no left with no option but to contact the sender to pay, yet again, to have it redelivered.

Part of me feels like it would be a waste of time going through a complaints procedure for a mere 3.00 euros refund, but I have paid for a service which I did not recieve!

Its the wasted time waiting for them to deliver that frustrates me most more than anything else.

Has anyone else had similar problems, or attempted to get refunds only to find themselves hitting another brick wall?

not sure what to do!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Make the complaint but i would suggest making it a "formal complaint" in writing and sending a copy to an post and also one to the minister for communications!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I made a complaint once to them, that was a month ago and still have not got anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I made a complaint once to them, that was a month ago and still have not got anything back.

What was the complaint about? was it a similar problem to mine?

--

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should make a complaint, I was definatley at home and downstairs. NO tv on, I was reading in silence with the living room door open so as to hear when postman arrives.

Very frustrating as I have paid for a service which I did not recieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's about time something was done about this. I know it's only 3 euro but it's the principle. Report to the National Consumer Agency. Once you've made a payment, it's both you and the sender who's being wronged.

I'd love someone to take them to court over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

This has been an ongoing problem with An Post, recently there was CCTV footage posted here showing the driver posting a "while you were out " notice, without any attempt at delivery.
    On Post will get a good kick up the ass when they lose their momoply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

aujopimur wrote: »
    This has been an ongoing problem with An Post, recently there was CCTV footage posted here showing the driver posting a "while you were out " notice, without any attempt at delivery.

monday was bank holliday op,no deliveries..

and the case you are referring to was proven to be a mistake by the home owner,who checked back further on the cctv and seen he had indeed knocked,got no answer,went to van and wrote the notice slip,and delivered it.

few straight facts needed .

when do they lose their monopoly? i know there are other postal services in ireland, but theyre usually not for domestic services.

Im really annoyed cause the guy on the phone was trying to insinuate that I just didnt hear the door knock. I was in the living room, 2 metres away fro mthe front door, with the living room door ajar and no tv on!!!

He didnt knock. just slipped letter through thr letterbox!

Its only 3 euro, but theyve basically taken money off me and done nothing for it in return!

if there was another postal service in Ireland Id use it in a shot

barone wrote: »

monday was bank holliday op,no deliveries..

fair enough, but I arranged redelivery on Friday afternoon. The automated screen thingy told me 2 working days. so that's Tuesday, Wednesday. Today is Thursday. Ive been on the phone to them several times. Theyre basically telling me they tried to deliver, they didnt!!

I usually have parcels delievered to a friends workplace as there isnt usually a problem there, but seeing as I was off I just had them delivered to my home. Not doing that again!!!

UPDATE:

So this morning I got up at 7.00am. no sign of parcel all day. status of item changes yet again to 3rd delivery attempt even though I was at home and basically staring out the sitting room window all morning.

Phoned customer services and got through to a very snotty and unhelpful woman. She was very condescending even though I was nothing but polite to her. She said she would log a complaint for me and that 'that was all she could do'

A couple of hours later, and after trawling through the an post website I found the number for my local mail depot.

Called them and got through to some lad in an office.

I gave him the reference number for the payment of my redelivery request.

He phoned me back 5 mins later, saying the reference number for payment of a reldeliverey request is showing up on the system but it never reached them.

He was very apologetic and said my parcel will be out to me before the end of the day. I said no problem, that these things happen.

So advice to everyone out there:

If you have issues with an post redelivery service in the future make a direct call to you local mail depot and avoid the customer sevices helpline. I found the helpline to be no help at all.

All in all, happy days!

UPDATE:

So this morning I got up at 7.00am. no sign of parcel all day. status of item changes yet again to 3rd delivery attempt even though I was at home and basically staring out the sitting room window all morning.

Phoned customer services and got through to a very snotty and unhelpful woman. She was very condescending even though I was nothing but polite to her. She said she would log a complaint for me and that 'that was all she could do'

A couple of hours later, and after trawling through the an post website I found the number for my local mail depot.

Called them and got through to some lad in an office.

I gave him the reference number for the payment of my redelivery request.

He phoned me back 5 mins later, saying the reference number for payment of a reldeliverey request is showing up on the system but it never reached them.

He was very apologetic and said my parcel will be out to me before the end of the day. I said no problem, that these things happen.

So advice to everyone out there:

If you have issues with an post redelivery service in the future make a direct call to you local mail depot and avoid the customer sevices helpline. I found the helpline to be no help at all.

All in all, happy days!

i dont understand, if it never reached them in the first place how did they leave a notice in your door?

if they knew nothing of it ..

• Advertisement

i dont understand, if it never reached them in the first place how did they leave a notice in your door?

Can you clarify what youre saying? i dont understand the question, sorry.

ah, you mean the redelivery request??

they left a sorry we missed you notice the first time they delivered. the other two times the an post 'track and trace' system told me they had apparently attempted delivery (which they didnt) I didnt recieve anything. Both times the van just comes up, puts letters through the letter box and heads away.

the reason the parcel was delayed in getting to me after initial delivery was because the mail depot was never sent the redelivery request. I had to call them, give them the payment for redelievry reference number and they had to go check it out. Guy at the mail depot apologised and said they should have recieved a notice to redeliver. they never did. he also said possible reason for system saying other deliverys were attempted was due a 'mis scan' in the system. whether or not he was telling thr truth in that i dont care. im just happy to have my parcel.

wont be using the redlievery system again, will just be having parcels sent to mates workplace as i used to in future. this was too much of a headache

so it wasnt the postmans fault at all?

so it wasnt the postmans fault at all?

no. it was an post's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They have already in certain areas. I bought something from ibood.ie, the dhl guy rang me when he couldn't deliver and waited form me to come.back as I was nearby. Said if I wanted in future he'd have no problems leaving stuff with the village shop if I wanted or.arranging to meet me, gave me his mobile and all. Such a difference to the unbending "rules &regs" spiel Ann post use.when a little back and forth is needed.

Coriolanus wrote: »
    They have already in certain areas. I bought something from ibood.ie, the dhl guy rang me when he couldn't deliver and waited form me to come.back as I was nearby. Said if I wanted in future he'd have no problems leaving stuff with the village shop if I wanted or.arranging to meet me, gave me his mobile and all. Such a difference to the unbending "rules &regs" spiel Ann post use.when a little back and forth is needed.

where have you been living all your life to think that your local postie wouldnt go out of his/her way to get a packet/parcel to you?

its quite the opposite i can tell you... but if your not in and we dont know anywhere else its ok to leave it..then there is only one other option.

sorry we missed you.....

and thats a pain in the you know what to write out,in the rain,wind etc..we would rather cycle/walk/drive an extra minute or two to deliver the item somewhere else..

take it from a postie of 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Coriolanus wrote: »
    They have already in certain areas. I bought something from ibood.ie, the dhl guy rang me when he couldn't deliver and waited form me to come.back as I was nearby. Said if I wanted in future he'd have no problems leaving stuff with the village shop if I wanted or.arranging to meet me, gave me his mobile and all. Such a difference to the unbending "rules ®s" spiel Ann post use.when a little back and forth is needed.

where have you been living all your life to think that your local postie wouldnt go out of his/her way to get a packet/parcel to you?

its quite the opposite i can tell you... but if your not in and we dont know anywhere else its ok to leave it..then there is only one other option.

sorry we missed you.....

and thats a pain in the you know what to write out,in the rain,wind etc..we would rather cycle/walk/drive an extra minute or two to deliver the item somewhere else..

take it from a postie of 15 years.
    Our old postie was like you. Great service. He retired and a young fella took over.
    Not all posties were created equal.
    I shouldn't have tarred all with one brush though, sorry. Some are great some good some bad some indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 chris.o

I can't take any more of Anpost leaving me "sorry we missed you" notes.

Every time, I am home in silence and the buzzer to my apartment works and I receive a note.

I have sent at least three formal complaints by email and it has happened more than 5 times.

WHAT CAN I DO??? I stopped using the bus because the bus service was so terrible... How can I get the Irish postal service to actually delivery my parcels???

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

This has happened to me on numerous occasions also

Here in Ireland everyone just seems to grumble about things like this and nobody ever seems to DO anything about it!

Has anyone ever DONE anything that is effective at making the postman do his job? Is the some consumer rights agency I can contact?

This is unacceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

An Post is like Dublin Bus, they are both run by the unions, have weak management and complaints don't get acted upon because union obstruction and the threat of a strike or walkout will make management reluctant to do anything about workers who basically don't give a sh1t about their customers.

Even if you took a video of the postman/woman dropping off the flyer without ringing your doorbell, any investigation would reveal shortcomings in staff training and 'procedures', the classic trade union jargon for 'blame the system, not the worker'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

chris.o wrote: »
    I can't take any more of Anpost leaving me "sorry we missed you" notes.

Every time, I am home in silence and the buzzer to my apartment works and I receive a note.

I have sent at least three formal complaints by email and it has happened more than 5 times.

WHAT CAN I DO??? I stopped using the bus because the bus service was so terrible... How can I get the Irish postal service to actually delivery my parcels???

Contact your local public representative and see if they can interact with an post on your behalf!

coylemj wrote: »
    An Post is like Dublin Bus, they are both run by the unions, have weak management and complaints don't get acted upon because union obstruction and the threat of a strike or walkout will make management reluctant to do anything about workers who basically don't give a sh1t about their customers.

Even if you took a video of the postman/woman dropping off the flyer without ringing your doorbell, any investigation would reveal shortcomings in staff training and 'procedures', the classic trade union jargon for 'blame the system, not the worker'.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I had the same problem. I rang up an post's complaint section and they fully investigated the problem. They had the package sent out a second time and rang me back to make sure it had been resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged - this is quite a common recurring topic on this forum.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Contact your local public representative and see if they can interact with an post on your behalf!

You mean the local postman will suddenly adopt a different work ethic because of a letter from a T.D.?

Dream on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Have been in a similar situation, waiting for a parcel to arrive but it goes straight to the depot.

On one occasion I rushed to the depot afterwards to see if it was there as I had a flight to catch that evening, but they said the postman had it in his car still and they gave me his number. Turned out he had gone home for the afternoon but told me where he lived so I went to his house and got it from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My postal service is superb - I actually choose shippers that use AnPost at this end. We have an agreed place where parcels can be left & my postman signs for them - probably illegal ! In return for the postman's help I ensure that he has a nice Christmas present. He even makes sure that relief posties know the routine. So maybe the answer is to get to know your postman.

One other thing always ensure that your phone number is on any package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I had a few similar issues with "sorry we've missed you" notifications sent in an envelope to my address. I couldn't figure out why, I work from home, the time is indicated on the delivery notice yet my door bell never rang and the notification is sent to me rather than just being dropped into my letterbox.

And then I got the explanation when for the 3rd time in a week I had to drive to my local depot, where the guys are really nice and they always help me carry the large packages to my car. They explained that parcels sent by some companies like Amazon.uk are sent to another depot, it's a third party service that is somehow linked to An Post (some kind of outsourcing if you like). They clearly don't give a toss and never ever try to deliver, they just send the parcels to my local depot for the An Post guys to deal with, then send me a letter with the notification because they never even came close to my place to start with. It's happened again this week, so this time I'll get the contact details from the guys at the local depot and write a formal complaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Hi all,i work around the corner from where i live,im 90% certain my home and job have the same postman,anyway the postman is sh*t,at home and in work at least 3 or 4 times a week i get letters for other houses or businesses and a lot of the time im not getting my own post,iv complained to an post numerous times,they have done nothing about it,its driving me nuts,iv tried to meet the postman but he comes at all different times,from 8 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon,anybody any advice on what to do,thanks

Any help here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How exactly is this a problem related to your work? Also you can't expect a post to appear in 17 min after posting with an answer.

Its not a 100% work problem but i deal with all the post coming through the job so im having the problem nearly everyday,if nothing constructive to add and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I think you are mising the point of the work and jobs forum. If you are getting into trouble with you boss as to why the post is not administered correctly then yes, this is the forum but please give us more detail as to how this issue is affecting your work.

Otherwise post in consumer issues forum as it is a problem with an Post service you seem to be having an issue with rather than a work issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to consumer issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Eoin wrote: »
    Moved to consumer issues
    So manutd83 delivered his post to the wrong address. Rather as he thinks his postman does. Oh, the irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

An Post has already lost it's monopoly ( since start of 2011 IIRC )

For the most part though anybody who has come into the postal business has gone after the corporate market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

SPDUB wrote: »
    An Post has already lost it's monopoly ( since start of 2011 IIRC )

For the most part though anybody who has come into the postal business has gone after the corporate market

It hasn't lost much at all in reality , the new wonderkids of the irish postal system "Citypost" are delivering junkmail now . Where have all the ads gone for them promising sun , moon and stars ? At the end of the day they were only delivering to high density routes and still couldn't make a go of it with the added help of piggybacking onto a lot of An Posts delivery network .

An Post certainly not perfect but much better than Royal Mail for instance .

Advertisement