Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in NUIG

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My brother is trying to decide whether to do engineering in NUIG or UL and I said I'd give him a hand trying to figure it out, just have a few questions for people in the course.

Is there placement in NUIG, and if so, for how long and can you organise it yourself?
    When does QCA start counting towards your degree in NUIG?
    Is there a final year project in NUI and what's it worth?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Is there placement in NUIG, and if so, for how long and can you organise it yourself?
    Yes, there is a placement in Third Year. It is called the PEP programme. It generally takes place in April and ends in August. However, starting in 2015, the placement starts in Jan/Feb and ends in August for some types (Mechanical, for example) of engineering. You may organise it yourself, but you must have a an appropriate position organised by the start of Third Year (i.e. September). You are allowed to organise a position abroad.

When does QCA start counting towards your degree in NUIG?
    I believe it is currently 3rd and 4th Year that counts towards your degree. However, there is talk that 1st and 2nd Year may count towards your degree in the future.
    Is there a final year project in NUI and what's it worth?
    Yes, but I'm not sure what it's worth. There is also a "mini-project" in 3rd Year.

More info on engineering in NUIG here: http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering/

Engineering is currently going through a change in NUIG. Some modules are being reduced from 2-semester long to 1-semester long. They've introduced a Common First Year: all engineering types now take the exact same modules in First Year. So don't expect the information here to be 100% accurate next year.

Advertisement