Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to serve with pulled pork

Options
  • 21-03-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Looking for some inspiration oh cooking minded folks...
    Im making bbq pulled pork in the slow cooker on sunday and having another couple over for dinner. I'm lacking a tad bit of inspiration as to what would be really nice with it, my 1st thought was mash potatoes, but is that a bit boring? Myself and the OH would eat anything, but the couple coming over would be a little of the fussy/non adventurous side so not looking for anything too fancy, just nice and hearty!

Ta much in advance!ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Pulled pork is at it's best on a bun, drowned in barbecue sauce with a side of red cabbage slaw. You could serve the sauce separately.

The first time I made it, I did homemade chips, and the second time, I chopped baby potatoes in two, parboiled them, then fried them in a little olive oil with garlic and spring onions.

If you don't want to go with spuds, you could do chargrilled corn on the cob with some butter and chilli.

God, I am starving!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I had it with creamy mustard mash the other night and it was yum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Think of your textures. Mash (soft) with pulled pork (soft)? Slaw really works as it has that crunch. Try an asian type one, as in thinly slice some red cabbage, a bit of minced ginger, a sliced chilli, some chopped coriander, soy sauce, torn basil leaves, toasted sesame oil, and lime juice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like to serve it with coleslaw, salad and home made floury baps. Sweet potato fries are nice with it too, or potato wedges. I put it all out in bowls everyone can help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Sweet potato fries, corn on the cob and lots of crunchy braised red cabbage (a tangy one like this works well - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/dec/12/how-to-make-perfect-braised-red-cabbage ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Make it a Southern meal. Any of these will work

Creamy mash, corn on the cob, coleslaw, dill pickle, potato salad, Baked Potato, bbq baked beans, black eyed peas and definitely some sweet iced tea.

For a different angle make it a Southern 'n' Asian meal

Thai Noodle Salad or Asian slaw, Egg Fried Rice, Grilled Pineapple slices

I'm feckin starvin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I find serving it with more pulled pork works just fine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Thanks everyone, liking the sound of buns, slaw, corn n sweet potato wedges...just need to check my unadventerous friends will eat all of those, so hard to cook for plain eaters sometimes.

Gona marinade the pork later on in some bbq sauce honey garlic and soy, did it with chicken a week or so ago and it was amazing so should work with pork too!!

Gonna do brownies for dessert me thinks then!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

homemade coldslaw and potato wedges (cooked in coconut oil but that's a personal taste) for me.

was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Danii86 wrote: »
    Looking for some inspiration oh cooking minded folks...
    Im making bbq pulled pork in the slow cooker on sunday and having another couple over for dinner. I'm lacking a tad bit of inspiration as to what would be really nice with it, my 1st thought was mash potatoes, but is that a bit boring? Myself and the OH would eat anything, but the couple coming over would be a little of the fussy/non adventurous side so not looking for anything too fancy, just nice and hearty!

Ta much in advance!ðŸ˜႒

A nice bap with pulled pork camelised onions and apple sauce works for me. Simple if your serving a crowd too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Just going by the sides I order at a bbq place in the states, I'd be serving a horseradish coleslaw, 4 cheese/jalapeno mac and cheese, and the most awesome baked beans ever with sausage and stuff in it. (I hate baked beans)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's essential that pulled pork is served on really poor quality sesame seed burger bun, Supervalue own brand is ideal, with coleslaw and BBQ sauce on top.

For a side is have ribs, brisket or smoked chicken. Corn on the cob is acceptable as a. 2nd side.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

You could do a lot worse than serve it with couscous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Brian? wrote: »
    It's essential that pulled pork is served on really poor quality sesame seed burger bun, Supervalue own brand is ideal, with coleslaw and BBQ sauce on top.

For a side is have ribs, brisket or smoked chicken. Corn on the cob is acceptable as a. 2nd side.

:confused: Why poor quality or is that a typo perhaps?

I always put pulled pork in the barbeque category even if just done in the slow cooker so think of the sides that would be served at a barbeque such as coleslaw and sweetcorn and baked potato.

I love serving the american style potato salad where a hard boiled egg, spring onion and sweetcorn are mixed into the spuds and a slight drizzle of honey over it. I've also mixed the Frenchs Yellow Mustard with honey and mixed it into the potato salad too. Yums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I made pulled pork recently and served it up with a baked sweet potato was delicious.

Advertisement