Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut milk brand that separates the oil from the cream

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all

According to thai cooks, One of the key aspects of making a good curry is being able to break the coconut cream and separate the oil. This is done at the beginning before adding the paste of any other ingredient

http://highheelgourmet.com/2013/04/12/authentic-thai-green-curry/

I have read a few times that the brand Aroy D is one of the best ones because it does not use emulsifiers like guar gum.
    However, I have tried aroy D and i cannot get the thing to break...

There is Aroy D in can or tetra
    60% coconut milk +40% water or 100% coconut milk
    The one i have handy in the asian shop is canned 60+40

Do you know whether the format or milk-water composition would make any difference when using aroyD?

Do you know any other coconut milk brand that works for breaking the crean?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Maybe freezing and thawing it would help? Temperature fluctuation is usually a good way of destabilising an emulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Not fully sure if its what you're after but Tesco 'Ingredients' coconut milk splits in the can if you don't shake it up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its hokus pokus imho. the key to a great thai curry, is simply releasing the oils from fresh paste, which can be done simply by frying it in oil.

I cant image what the flavor benefits of releasing the oils from the coconut milk will bring.

ill bet making your own coconut milk gives a more significant flavor benefit that releasing the oils of any shop bought one :)

Advertisement