Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity bill reversal

Options
  • 22-02-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am looking online and my previous bill from airtricity has been reversed and a new one issued?
    I didnt get the usual reminder to send in my meter read, so it is an estimated read on this bill. Anyone any idea why they would reverse an already paid bill and re-issue this month along with (estimated) charges? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nettekee wrote: »
    I am looking online and my previous bill from airtricity has been reversed and a new one issued?
    I didnt get the usual reminder to send in my meter read, so it is an estimated read on this bill. Anyone any idea why they would reverse an already paid bill and re-issue this month along with (estimated) charges? :confused:
    Trying to bump up their intake of money so they look more attractive for the recently announced fire-sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

but they are not getting any extra money as the payment for the last bill is applied as a credit on this invoice??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Trying to bump up their intake of money so they look more attractive for the recently announced fire-sale?

oh look another allegation with nothing to back it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

Nettekee wrote: »
    Anyone any idea why they would reverse an already paid bill and re-issue this month along with (estimated) charges?

Sounds strange, did they send you the exact same bill twice? Are they refunding you any money? Is it possibe last that months payment didn't go through for some reason? I'd suggest ringing them to clear it up anyway.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Thanks Buffman, I've logged a complaint via their website, it can take 5 days for a response. I hope they explain adequately. I've looked back on my billing history it appears they've done this at least once before. very odd! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

foggy_lad wrote: »

Firesale? Are you confusing Airtricity with ESB or have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

I have had a similar problem a few times in the past. I email them when it happens and they invariably fail to reply within the terms of their customer charter. (Check it)
    They then have to allow €20 on your account! Try it and let me know how you get on.
    Also DEMAND that they desist from cancelling paid bills as this is not proper accounting procedure. They can credit it if they like but the original bill must remain on your account.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Philm_12 wrote: »
    I have had a similar problem a few times in the past. I email them when it happens and they invariably fail to reply within the terms of their customer charter. (Check it)
    They then have to allow €20 on your account! Try it and let me know how you get on.
    Also DEMAND that they desist from cancelling paid bills as this is not proper accounting procedure. They can credit it if they like but the original bill must remain on your account.
    Good luck.

why cant they cancel paid bills, what if your tarrif was incorrect and adjustment was needed?

Good luck.

why cant they cancel paid bills, what if your tarrif was incorrect and adjustment was needed?

Airtricity can credit an incorrect bill to cancel it but both the bill and the credit should remain on your account for future checking. This would be the common practice in business.
    If you have paid a bill, a "trail" must be retained for that bill. Otherwise you have made a payment against a non-existent bill and that is simply bad business practice!
    Hope I've explained my point clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Airtricity can credit an incorrect bill to cancel it but both the bill and the credit should remain on your account for future checking. This would be the common practice in business.
    If you have paid a bill, a "trail" must be retained for that bill. Otherwise you have made a payment against a non-existent bill and that is simply bad business practice!

if the account is credited whats the significance of having an incorrect bill on the account, you can see by the 'reversal' entry that a bill was reversed and included the bills amount

if the account is credited whats the significance of having an incorrect bill on the account, you can see by the 'reversal' entry that a bill was reversed and included the bills amount

@melekalikimaka It is important for audit purposes. Cancelling the bill is fine but the original bill cannot just "vanish". I have prepared books for audit so I do know what's required! Evidence!
    Let's not fall out over this - if you don't agree with me, I can live with it !!!!

Once an invoice has been issued, it is a legal tax document with a sequential number. It cannot simply be deleted and modern ERP/billing systems won't allow this. They generally won't even allow for it to be reversed.

Typically, a credit note is issued and applied to the original invoice, thus effectively, canceling it. If that invoice has been closed due to payment, then the credit is left on the customer account, ready for application against the next invoice.

Now, why Aitricity would credit and rebill is another story. That I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Passenger

I am having this and other related problems with Scaretricity at the moment.

In the last 5 days my online bill has been 5 different amounts ranging from €20ish to €500 odd. Like Nettekee it has happened before that bills I have already paid are reversed and charged differently. Today I was told that my next gas charge would be for Feb to Jun!!! I always submit online or ring in meter readings monthly and their site ALWAYS says it's over 2 months since I've submitted. This is when I get the auld excuse that it's the weather, ESB/Bord Gais' fault or the top answers given by staff:

I can't open the PDF

There's a problem with our system.

I have renters in to try pay the mortgage and they now think I'm pulling these charges outta my ass or that I know someone in Airtricity that's diddling the bill!

I think organisationally they have reached pitiful mass.

Can anyone give a better alternative? Everyone I've spoken to says they are all the same or that Bord Gais, while not the cheapest are the most thorough!

If you want recommendations for an energy provider, then please go the Accommodation/Property forum. This forum is for Consumer Issues.

dudara

My issue is with the company I currently consume energy from. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a better source of consumption.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I am having this and other related problems with Scaretricity at the moment.

In the last 5 days my online bill has been 5 different amounts ranging from €20ish to €500 odd. Like Nettekee it has happened before that bills I have already paid are reversed and charged differently. Today I was told that my next gas charge would be for Feb to Jun!!! I always submit online or ring in meter readings monthly and their site ALWAYS says it's over 2 months since I've submitted. This is when I get the auld excuse that it's the weather, ESB/Bord Gais' fault or the top answers given by staff:

I can't open the PDF

There's a problem with our system.

I have renters in to try pay the mortgage and they now think I'm pulling these charges outta my ass or that I know someone in Airtricity that's diddling the bill!

I think organisationally they have reached pitiful mass.

Can anyone give a better alternative? Everyone I've spoken to says they are all the same or that Bord Gais, while not the cheapest are the most thorough!

You need to document everything! Don't ring them again Write to them and don't answer any cals from them, write to them.

Airtricity,
    Airtricity House, Ravenscourt Office Park
    Sandyford, Dublin 18

https://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/about-us/customer-service-charter/complaints/

https://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/about-us/customer-service-charter/billing/

Use the heading "Formal Complaint". Detail the issues and tell them exactly what yoyu want done to resolve the issues. if they have not resolved the issues within 10 working days escalate the complaint with a further letter and send a copy to the Commission for Energy Regulation

Thanks foggy_lad for the advice.

Mucho appreciado!

Advertisement