Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Cancellation fee

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved house and rang UPC to cancel my internet connection in the previous place. They informed me my contract ran up until December 2012, and that to cancel I would need to pay a cancellation fee of 150 euro. If I left it uncancelled it will come to 157 euro so don't see much point in going through the hassle of cancelling to save 7 quid.

My question is...is there anyway around this cancellation fee/situation? I don't remember signing any contract to be honest so wasn't aware of a lock in time (then again I may have unintentionally).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently moved house and rang UPC to cancel my internet connection in the previous place. They informed me my contract ran up until December 2012, and that to cancel I would need to pay a cancellation fee of 150 euro. If I left it uncancelled it will come to 157 euro so don't see much point in going through the hassle of cancelling to save 7 quid.

My question is...is there anyway around this cancellation fee/situation? I don't remember signing any contract to be honest so wasn't aware of a lock in time (then again I may have unintentionally).
    Ask them for a copy of your contract or a copy of the recording of the call where you agreed to enter into a contract! If they cant supply one of these there is no contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hi all,

Are you not taking up upc connection in your new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Are you not taking up upc connection in your new place?

Yep, well there is already one there as I am a house sharing so I won't be creating a new account....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Haven't UPC changed their fees recently? This was on the letter I was sent recently.

"However you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you do not agree with these changes"

Haven't UPC changed their fees recently? This was on the letter I was sent recently.

"However you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you do not agree with these changes"

I dont think everyone is getting fee increases. I know I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Theres an increase coming up in a couple of weeks, the OP can cancel with no fee after that as long as he does it within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You lucky devil. :)

You lucky devil. :)

Based on that link I probably won't as I've broadband only. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Yep I have broadband only also so not sure if this will apply to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have BB/Phone and TV with them.

I rang to downgrade some TV packages last night. First guy tried to charge me for downgrade, but put me on to somone who did the downgrades without the €10 fee, after I read the clause in the letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement