Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any pigeons?

• 21-04-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anyone having any luck with pigeons at the moment? They seem to be scarce around here .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

the most seen on any of the fields sowed here was 6 crows 2 pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Yeah was out this afternoon and only got 8,Saturday got 12 but staying out for a long time to get that amount ,most of the farmers have seen very few around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭the scudd

they are all away breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rugermk3

im heading out tomorrow for the first time in 5 months , ill keep you posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Loads here in Cork got 60+ last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

I was given to understand that there was to be no pigeon shooting until 1st June.

if a farmer is having problems with them u can shoot them , that my understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

rugermk3 wrote: »
    if a farmer is having problems with them u can shoot them , that my understanding

I think the season has been done away with or if not it's not in forced,

If a pigeon is eating grass it's technically damaging crop,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Markhor wrote: »
    I was given to understand that there was to be no pigeon shooting until 1st June.

Officially - Wood Pigeon – 1st November to 31st January except under derogation for crop protection.
    Theres a lot of easy pickings of naturally occurring foods such as buds and clover to tempt at the moment so the crops are getting a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

The land we have been asked to shoot on has seed just sown so this to my knowledge qualifies for shooting pigeons eating the seed

• Advertisement

ronn wrote: »
    I think the season has been done away with or if not it's not in forced,

If a pigeon is eating grass it's technically damaging crop,

Not to sure about grass, I think it only applies to arable farming.

Reference to NARGC case on pigeon control-

http://www.nargc.ie/predator-control/pigeon-control-on-stubble-the-legal-position.aspx

National Parks and Wildlife Services

http://www.npws.ie/legislationandconventions/irishlaw/openseasonsorder/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Yes all my shooting is done on drilled barley at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jimbob79

Out on Sunday got 30. There are pigeons around but they are not decoying well. We found they came for a look but wouldn't commit. Also shooting over recently sown field.

went out today for a walk with the shotgun having a look to see if there were many pigeons , there were a few knocking about not loads , on the way home pulled into another field of wheat and the place was full of them , didn't get out because I missed everything earlier on so had my fill of it lol been 5 months since I picked the shotgun up and it showed, could of hit some of them with stones lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Not many at all around me (Waterford)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

May sound stupid but what do you do with 60 pigeons? Living on a farm we might take one or two and hang them around which is a good way to keep them away. Might need another soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭the scudd

Sull576 wrote: »
    May sound stupid but what do you do with 60 pigeons? Living on a farm we might take one or two and hang them around which is a good way to keep them away. Might need another soon...

you can breast them out for the freezer though in weather like this they are very likely to be fly blown

Theres a certainbreed people pefer don't they, is it wood pigeon?

May sound stupid but what do you do with 60 pigeons?...

In the words of Bubba, there's pigeon pie, pigeon gumbo, pigeon curry, pigeon stir fry, pigeon burger, roast pigeon, confit pigeon, pigeon pate, pigeon meat loaf, barbecue pigeon, pigeon sausage....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Theres a certainbreed people pefer don't they, is it wood pigeon?

Wood pigeon is your only man.
    Them towny pigeons are as stoned as the junkies kicking them.
    Rotten things. But wood pigeon I have to say is probably my favourite type of bird to eat.

• Advertisement

Tempted to take a few now :) I am surrounded or atleast I would spot them regularly just as with rabbits, foxes and pheasants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Anyone having any luck with pigeons at the moment? They seem to be scarce around here .
    They seem scarce here in the west too. There were a lot shot last year.And seen as they only have two chick's in there clutch. ( one male and one female ) If they have a bad year and just have the one clutch' then numbers will be down. Pigeon is my favorate of all game.

Advertisement