Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heartbleed and Boards.ie

Options
  • 14-04-2014 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hello,

A number of users have asked us about Boards and how it was affected by the recent Heartbleed vulnerability. Boards wasn't affected by Heartbleed because we were running versions of openSSL that aren't affected. Password changes are not necessary and nothing has been compromised.

Because we weren't affected, we didn't feel a need to raise the issue initially, but several people have been asking, so we wanted to let you know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Password changes may be needed if the person is silly enough to use their boards password on an infected site :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

People who use the same username / password elsewhere should change their password though!

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Hello,

A number of users have asked us about Boards and how it was affected by the recent Heartbleed vulnerability. Boards wasn't affected by Heartbleed because we were running versions of openSSL that aren't affected. Password changes are not necessary and nothing has been compromised.

Because we weren't affected, we didn't feel a need to raise the issue initially, but several people have been asking, so we wanted to let you know.

2 weeks to let people know is not cool. Nearly every other site I use a lot has updated their users long before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

taytothief wrote: »
    2 weeks to let people know is not cool. Nearly every other site I use a lot has updated their users long before now.

To let people know what? We weren't affected. Someone asked over the weekend, so Alvis posted this to clarify. Don't you think we'd have made a huge deal out of it if there was something to make a deal out of?

Dav wrote: »
    To let people know what? We weren't affected. Someone asked over the weekend, so Alvis posted this to clarify. Don't you think we'd have made a huge deal out of it if there was something to make a deal out of?

And how are people supposed to know boards wasn't affected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Because we'd have told you if we were - I think our track record on letting people know if something's wrong speaks for itself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What else do you expect boards.ie to let you know you aren't affected by?

I'd rather only be told of things affecting me rather than frequently hit by things that didnt, rendering me immune to the notifications tbh.

GreeBo wrote: »
    What else do you expect boards.ie to let you know you aren't affected by?

I'd rather only be told of things affecting me rather than frequently hit by things that didnt, rendering me immune to the notifications tbh.

2 out of 3 of all sites on the net were supposedly affected by Heartbleed. This wasn't some "frequent notification". This was the single largest vulnerability the internet has ever seen. And it has affected you. If not here, somewhere else. So, were you not wondering if boards was affected? Maybe you weren't. And maybe you don't want to be reassured about potential vulnerabilities on the websites that you use, I but I do. And I can't be the only one. Your attitude is strange, as though we shouldn't actually be concerned about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I do not have Bird flu.

Can you advise me of how i am affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

my heartbleeds for ya ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Yeah, for that matter, how do we know boards doesn't give us AIDS? Or go wonky because of sunspots??

I demand to be informed immediately of all the things boards is not affected by.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement