Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing in the towel..

Options
  • 20-10-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Ok, so how close have you come to throwing in the towel?...firstly, this isn't a thread for a "poor little old me" reaction. I'm very lucky I get to play plenty of golf but for a long time I just can't sort my self out. I have more swing thoughts than a teenager has spots.
    This year there have been glimpses of potential but mainly rubbish.I started the year at 12.4 and look to be finishing at 12.7, the first time I havent seen a reduction in years. Today is a prime example in the first 4 holes I completed the full set of par,bogey,DBogey,birdie, 2 holes later I added a blank just to complete the set of 0,1,2,3,4 pointers. I finished with 27 points, another in a long list of sub 30 pointers I've had this season. Ive done lessons, new clubs,practice, books, everything ...except for a break. Im really considering a long break until at least the new year.

Is it worth considering? I'm just not enjoying it anymore..... At this point all I'm thinking is hanging up the clubs until next year or do I keep working on my game with the pro? I'm not sure I have the appetite for more lessons though..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've yet to take a break, I'm sure it'll come, but if I felt like that then the clubs would be in the shed.

You know you'll be back so step away and let the batteries recharge imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

pack it in.

Pack it up, pack it in, jump around jump around

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dealerz wrote: »
    Pack it up, pack it in, jump around jump around

I'm fairly sure that jumping around is forbidden under Rule 242, Paragraph C (Subsection 4 (B) ) of the Royal and Ancient Golfers' Rulebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

I would stick at it. If you went to a pro that didn't make a difference to your game & ultimately your enjoyment of the game, then change your pro.

I went a pro who was absolutely rubbish, but instead of giving up, I changed to another pro. Lesson one, I understood exactly what he was saying, he picked 3 changes & I worked on them. In one year, I knocked 9.0 off my handicap.

If you love the game, never ever even consider giving up, just work harder. McIlroy went through complete hardship when he changed to Nike, took the flack from the press, worked on, ditched the missus & became No.1.
    See, simples.....

So first step is to change your pro & find one that connects with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd lay off the comps for a while and get in some casual rounds.

I doubt I'm playing nearly as long as you but I went through something similar and playing a few casual rounds made all the difference for me. It took the pressure off scoring and let me enjoy the game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    I'm just not enjoying it anymore.....

Could be worth walking away for a while until that changes.

Even when I have a shocker I have enjoyed my game and being out playing.

You seem obsessed with improving. Why not try just playing for fun and see what happens. Forget your scores and go back to just enjoying the good shots when they come and then after a while your game should look after itself if you have the ability to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

a break is as good as a change
    winter conditions ruin your swing

• Registered Users Posts: 30 arkslippy123

Putting too much pressure on your self, on any given day, 3/4 of the field don't get to 30 points, but not enjoying it is worse, give yourself a few weeks off, or maybe mix things up by taking a half set in a carry bag and seeing how close to your target you can get.

Expectation is always heavier than results.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I'm with dan on this one, take a break from competitive rounds and just go out and have fun casual rounds. My greatest fault is that i put far too much pressure on myself and i also fell out of love with the game. I changed up my routine of playing my early morning saturday rounds in the club competition to playing a carefree 13 holes in the afternoon.

Is my golf better as a result, no. But i'm enjoying golf again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'd lay off the comps for a while and get in some casual rounds.

Either a break or the above...playing golf is a privilege, remind yourself when out playing a couple of balls to enjoy the good ones and get on with it. Don't keep score. Just try make some decent contacts and enjoy being healthy and being outdoors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've felt like you OP on many occasions. I walk off the course thinking I've put more effort in than most and getting nothing. I decided comps were not for me this year, time to just enjoy hitting the odd good shot and then work hard at fixing the flaws over the Winter. What's the weakest part of your game OP? I ask because mine is driving but I never practiced it, too afraid to be slicing balls all day long but it's the stuff we don't like doing we push to the side :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Took 3 month break last year after some awful golf - could barely hit it out of my own way. 16 points in a medal broke me and had to take a break - back now and enjoying more than ever. I just went back to basics and what used to work for me swing wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I go through this every now and then.

As said already some casual golf is good.

But a break is also good. I might plan to take a couple of months but after a week or two I'll be mad to get back out.

You'll find when your not getting out that even bad golf is better than no golf!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've felt the same after many a round OP, just wanted to get rid of everything golf related and find something else as it was getting so frustrating.

Played a round yesterday with keano, kiers and seve in Palmerstown PGA, just a casual round but dinner at steak (pun intended!!) You need a round like this every now and then, from the first tee shot to the last putt the crack and banter was in full flow. Some great golf, some terrible golf but it was fun golf all day long! Enjoyed every second of it!

P.S. the golfers grill was lovely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Been there too. Was there in a big way last year as was chasing cuts. Expectations are the enemy of good golf. If you go out only with the expectation of a good walk in a nice setting you will never be disappointed.

A break can definitely work and did for me. You come back mad for a game and just happy to be out. Maybe play some more casual golf as has been stated. Maybe play matchplay against friends and let the laughs override the focus on perfect golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I have often thought of giving it up and God knows my wife wishes I would...

A combination of me not giving it enough time to seriously improve, and the commitments that a young family brings and all that that entails mean I probably won't be able to give it enough dedication for quite a few years to come so improvement isn't my real end-game (I'm probably not that unusual).

But what keeps me going out onto that first tee at 7.30am on a Sunday morning in the middle of winter or even earlier during the summer?

Its the fresh air, the ever-tempting prospect of making "that" birdie, the banter with new or old friends, the exercise... Or, its the quietness of few holes on my own on a summer's evening, the beauty of watching a putt fall even when no one's watching... Its definitely not competition results, or being cut (or getting yet another 0.1, in my case!), or having to return to the clubhouse the following weekend to accept some prize I really don't need...

I'm hopefully playing tomorrow with a good mate of mine, and I'm just looking forward to having the chat and giving a ball a good smack every now and again. By the third or fourth hole we won't remember what score we'll have had and it won't matter. We'll be talking about kids / work / friends and telling jokes and making plans for the next night out.

Get out there and have a round with your best mate. Do it once a month or more if you can. Have the craic with it. Walk around and enjoy your club. Leave the handicap aside and just, play.

You'll come back to it, I promise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

ForeRight wrote: »
    Could be worth walking away for a while until that changes.

Even when I have a shocker I have enjoyed my game and being out playing.

You seem obsessed with improving. Why not try just playing for fun and see what happens. Forget your scores and go back to just enjoying the good shots when they come and then after a while your game should look after itself if you have the ability to improve.

Hit the nail on the head there....

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Time for a change of mindset and become obsessed with enjoying golf instead of improving
    Yesterday was particularly frustrating and although I was out there with 2 of my best mates I didnt get to enjoy that aspect as much as I should have & I probably took from their enjoyment of the round. What a D*CKH**D. I owe them some pints :(
    All I want to do is go and find the answer in the range/practice ground but at the minute that just leads to more frustration.
    Think casual rounds it is, half a bag until winter rules kick in or the poor weather really arrives and then take a break for a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

shane 007 wrote: »
    If you love the game, never ever even consider giving up, just work harder. McIlroy went through complete hardship when he changed to Nike, took the flack from the press, worked on, ditched the missus & became No.1.
    See, simples.....

I agree with Shane. Just work harder.

You don't have to worry about the press so maybe just ditch your missus and ride all around you and report back to us - I guarantee you won't be a bit worried about your golf game !

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head there....

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Time for a change of mindset and become obsessed with enjoying golf instead of improving
    Yesterday was particularly frustrating and although I was out there with 2 of my best mates I didnt get to enjoy that aspect as much as I should have & I probably took from their enjoyment of the round. What a D*CKH**D. I owe them some pints :(
    All I want to do is go and find the answer in the range/practice ground but at the minute that just leads to more frustration.
    Think casual rounds it is, half a bag until winter rules kick in or the poor weather really arrives and then take a break for a month or so.
    Whatever you do, don't fall into that trap, no one ever in the history of the game has ever found their game at the range ever ever.
    The range is for fine tuning your game, not for finding your game.
    Best of luck with your game and attitude realignment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

no one ever in the history of the game has ever found their game at the range ever ever.

True for me too! Best insights I ever get into my swing come on the course playing 9 by myself. 18 holes in comp is a mental challenge, its meant to be. Dont be so harsh on urself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pack it in.

Joking - found out last night I couldn't play today so was pissed off.

I felt a little like that a while back - and then boom game came back. Funny enough I did find my game at the range.

I'm definitely taking a break this winter - feel I'll come back even more enthusiastic.

It will be hard to take a beak - but going to go swimming or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Whatever you do, don't fall into that trap, no one ever in the history of the game has ever found their game at the range ever ever.

Hmmmm....what about Stephen Stricker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

I was ready to sell the clubs about 2/3 months ago. As a fairly new golfer I had seen improvement over the time I'd been playing but then it all disappeared and I was back where I started. Scuffing 90% of my Drives and slicing the others, shanking Irons basically the whole thing was a horrow show and I would carry one bad hole with me for the whole round which just made me play worse.

I left the range alone for about 2 months, played half as many rounds as normal (still badly) and took a while to let it out of my system.

Started back at the range but in a much more relaxed way and playing much better now. Driving is consistently better, I'm getting better contacts with my irons and my scoring is (slowly) starting to improve.

I was putting too much pressure on myself and took the enjoyment out of it and when I wasn't enjoying it I was playing poorly. I still have some horrific holes but find it much easier to shake it off at the next tee box.

I'm nowhere near where I want to be but I'm more relaxed about that now and am enjoying my golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The range is for fine tuning your game, not for finding your game.
    Best of luck with your game and attitude realignment.

Rubbish. Finding your game....... What does that even mean?

We are after a consistent, repeatable swing. The range is the place to find this.

No pressure. No rush. No distractions. Thinking about nothing else but your swing. Can make big adjustments and hit bad ones without fear. Get you numbers right for each club. Try out new clubs etc. Ever wonder why pros spend so much time on the range?

If like OP, you are very unhappy with they way you are hitting them, then you have to make changes. Players are reluctant to make changes on the course because they are consciously or sub consciously chasing a score. No such time as a real casual round. This leads them to revert back to the safe, devil you know, swing that they are trying to get away from, the swing that has them contemplating leaving the game.

If the OP went to the range twice a week between now and Feb and went to the chipping and putting area twice a week also, without playing one round on the course, I guarantee that they would get a cut in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Dont quit..just take a break until the new year. Id say your problem is concentration..and you dont realise it. I know that sounds stupid but thats were my game went wrong earlier in the year. I found myself walking round hitting the ball aimlessly,not looking at the ball when striking and the like..and frustrated when the ball isint lansing feet from the pin. I took a few weeks off mid summer and got head in shape. you.re playing off 12 which is good golf so you must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Get picked for a team.

Then go out an play and make sure you don't get cut as then you wont qualify for the team.

You will now play the best round of the year..get cut and become ineligible for the team you were picked for.

Fool proof.

You might have to wait till the new season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

Wouldnt be a bad time to take a break from playing.rekindle the flame in jan/feb when yhe weather starts to improve . absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Advertisement