Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules Question: ball hit by leaf on green

Options
  • 19-10-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the Matchplay and Mark Rowe was going on about some of the sillier rules:

He said that if your putting on the green and a leaf blows and hits into your ball that you must replay the putt.
    Seems a bit odd to me.

Was he correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »
    Just watching the Matchplay and Mark Rowe was going on about some of the sillier rules:

He said that if your putting on the green and a leaf blows and hits into your ball that you must replay the putt.
    Seems a bit odd to me.

Was he correct?

Can you trust the man on rules, considering he forgot to do the most basic of rules correctly? Swapping cards!

But I'm assuming he's correct considering he said it on sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Seems a bit odd to me.

Was he correct?
    Haven't come across this before, seems like an odd one alright, but I suppose he could be right and the leaf could be considered an outside agency, although I wouldn't take his word as gospel.
    Also can't see why you must replay the shot, that makes no sense, and if it doesn't make sense, it's unlikely to be true.
    Dealerz wrote: »
    Can you trust the man on rules, considering he forgot to do the most basic of rules correctly? Swapping cards!

But I'm assuming he's correct considering he said it on sky!
    That's the problem with fellas watching golf on Sky, assuming the people commentating know everything about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Same thing was said last week on the pga tour commentary as well so must be true , they also said they've never seen it happen if the 15 years they've been commentating

Rushden wrote: »
    Same thing was said last week on the pga tour commentary as well so must be true , they also said they've never seen it happen if the 15 years they've been commentating
    Say no more, if they said it in the States, therefore it must indeed be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Went and had a look myself:

Rule 19-1
    b. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is cancelled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

After the stroke is key though, you can't roll the ball over a leaf, miss the put and replay it.

If I putted and a big leaf not there before the putt knocked the ball off line I'd be replaying it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Say no more, if they said it in the States, therefore it must indeed be true.

Or if it was said on both tours in the space of a week it must be true.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

similar to the rule that says if you hit an overhead wire you must replay the shot

Went and had a look myself:

Rule 19-1
    b. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is cancelled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.
    That's an obscure one alright, interesting that it's a 2 shot penalty for breaking the rule, I can't imagine too many people are aware of it and would be in a position to penalise themselves.
    After the stroke is key though, you can't roll the ball over a leaf, miss the put and replay it.

If I putted and a big leaf not there before the putt knocked the ball off line I'd be replaying it all day long.
    Would you be replaying it all day long if it was a 40 footer that you holed after a leaf hitting it?
    Seve OB wrote: »
    similar to the rule that says if you hit an overhead wire you must replay the shot
    We have this in our home club and it's defeinitely "may" be replayed in our place, it's up the individual club to make the distinction, so always check the scorecard or notice boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

We have this in our home club and it's defeinitely "may" be replayed in our place, it's up the individual club to make the distinction, so always check the scorecard or notice boards.

The decisions section of the Rules Explorer actually covers this and specifically states "must" is to be used instead of "may" in the local rule

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    The decisions section of the Rules Explorer actually covers this and specifically states "must" is to be used instead of "may" in the local rule
    Linky to said decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Does anyone remember Phil at the masters a couple of years ago on the second hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bc2HC3Q-GQ

He would have played it again if that was the rule!! Must be a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Does anyone remember Phil at the masters a couple of years ago on the second hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bc2HC3Q-GQ

He would have played it again if that was the rule!! Must be a new one.

I think that the leaf was there before the ball was in motion for Phil's putt, so this rule wouldn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Would you be replaying it all day long if it was a 40 footer that you holed after a leaf hitting it?

Only if the ball was deflected and let's be honest I.'m not replaying a 40 foot tramliner that hit a small leaf and nobody could tell it moved, and I couldn't either.

A big leaf and an obvious deviation or slowing and yoink I'm pulling it back. Same as if a twig fell on the line or an animal got in the way

Advertisement