Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

StudentDad wrote: »
    I just didn't grab me at all. The film felt like it was put together like a join the dots picture.

SD

You know he didn't write, direct or edit it don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bullseye1 wrote:
    Wouldn't trust that site to be honest, seems like an amalgamation of current rumours on Cranston as well as cryptic quotes from Strong to make a very poor article.
    Yeah, it doesn't look very convincing to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

With Affleck now as Batman, and given his closeness to Kevin Smith, and lets say Affleck might get some writing privileges or influence on the script.

Do you think Kevin Smith will try push/squeeze some of his Superman/Batman ideas into the film?

He definitely has one failed Superman script (or abandoned project), whatever about Batman.

I hope not anyway.

Are Affleck and Smith even that close anymore? I thought I remember Smith saying on some podcast that while they hadn't actually fallen out there was some bad blood and they hadn't spoken in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

....was some bad blood and they hadn't spoken in a few years.

I didn't know that, the way Smith was going on on twitter, I thought they were still close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Is that not Smith in the video with Affleck posted earlier in this thread?

post #81

EDIT: Just realised it is an old video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There isn't bad blood but they just don't speak nowadays (someone else here said Ben's wife doesn't like Smith which I think Smith himself has hinted at in the past too).

They've barely spoken in 3 years. Kevin's hoping to get Ben as a guest on his Fatman on Batman podcast, but other than that, any worries about Smith having any kind of input or influence over Affleck's performance or the script are pretty much zero.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I didn't know that, the way Smith was going on on twitter, I thought they were still close.

Tbh I could be totally wrong, I tend to tune out when Smith is talking. Will try dig out the podcast later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Which Smodcasts do ye listen to lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Yet most didnt bother to go see it in the cinema apparently.

Anyhow, I know there are good voice-actors from Arkham games etc, but the main topic here is a major Hollywood franchise, not an animated movie. A voice-actor wont be appearing in any live action movie as Batman, mainly because they cast famous actors from other big hollywood filmd in these parts, not unknowns from the world of cartoon voicework.

almost every actor in the dcau shows is a recognised face/name more so than a pre MOS henry cavil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

almost every actor in the dcau shows is a recognised face/name more so than a pre MOS henry cavil.

Can't remember which one but wasn't Bryan Cranston playing Jim Gordon at one stage?

Can't remember which one but wasn't Bryan Cranston playing Jim Gordon at one stage?

case in point.
    batman year one. according to imdb.
    so there is one nobody voice actor connected to a major role in a hollywood blockbuster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

They have a history of choosing unknowns for Superman for some reason.
    case in point.
    batman year one. according to imdb.
    so there is one nobody voice actor connected to a major role in a hollywood blockbuster.

But he presumably was got for that role because he was well-known from TV and movies, not the other way around. He's not primarily a voice actor, he's primarily a TV star with some noted film work. Unless you think his work on that bagged him Lex Luthor in the movie, and not his performances in and fame from Breaking Bad and Drive?

I'm not really sure what point it is you want to make: that guy-whose-name-I-cant-be-bothered-to-go-back-and-look-up should play Batman in the forthcoming film? Maybe he should, but it's very unlikely he was even considered seriously, if at all.

the point is that just because they are tv films and animated films does not make them any less worthy than cinema releases. as in the initial statement of this is the film forum, cartoons dont count.

the fact that these movies in particular happen to use a wide variety of actors some are solely voice actors and some are film and tv actors just shows that being a named celebrity is not a criteria for playing a character in a blockbuster.

cranston may or may not have been chosen to play jim gordon in batman year one solely because of his breaking bad fame. but they dont exactly ram it down your throat. Its not sold as "batman year one starring bryan cranston" reading through the imdb for all of these movies is like a whos who of quality actors. Sure, there are no A listers, but there are some great character actors in the cast list that Ive been suprised to see.

Everyone is listing the best and worst actors to play batman as though there have only been 4, yet they forget the ones who have done excellent work in other media.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Well nobody can say he doesn't have the look or the chin for Batman. And with Argo, The Town and Hollywoodland to his credit I'm more than willing to give him a chance. Like others here I'm more worried by Mr. Snyder. What I'm not going to do is prejudge a film based on the casting.

tumblr_ms09heEAvf1qe4vh2o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Which one was theatrically released?

I watched dark knight returns and thought peter weller did a good job.
    He'd have been a interesting choice for the MOS2 role.

I actually thought Wellar was crap, his voice was horribly monotonous throughout the film, it was the badass dialogue which saved it.

Conroy has also voiced Batman in a lot of the more recent DC animated, straight-to-DVD, films (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Justice League: Doom and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox)

StudentDad wrote: »
    I agree Conroy voicing Batman set the standard. I wanted to forget all about the Batman franchise when the animated series went off down the Beyond route.

I kinda like Beyond. It's in canon with the original series (Bruce Wayne is the mentor of Terry McGuinness) and the Justice League cartoon and has a couple of good stories which heavily involve Bruce. The film was really good, imo.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Yet most didnt bother to go see it in the cinema apparently.

Anyhow, I know there are good voice-actors from Arkham games etc, but the main topic here is a major Hollywood franchise, not an animated movie. A voice-actor wont be appearing in any live action movie as Batman, mainly because they cast famous actors from other big hollywood filmd in these parts, not unknowns from the world of cartoon voicework.

I brought up the voice actors because what made them good Batmen should translate to the big screen but it never does. What the movie actors always seem to forget (at least since Keaton) is that Bruce Wayne doesn't really exist, there is only Batman, Burce Wayne is a persona. The story in most of the films kind of gets this across, but the actors themselves never invest this in how they act or even speak as Bruce Wayne vs Batman. If you ever listen to Kevin Conroy talk in interviews, his voice essentially is Batman's, he changes it for Bruce Wayne. not the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

prospect wrote: »
    Sky are now reporting Cranston is the new Luthor in a 6 film deal!

http://news.sky.com/story/1133594/bryan-cranston-to-play-lex-luthor-in-sequel

Is he not too old to play Lex :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Christ a 6 film deal! I already have superman/batman fatigue and we haven't even had the first film yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A very good fan-made trailer (at least IMO)

Daredevil was a terrible movie because of the movie company, not because of Ben Affleck. If you watch the director's cut, then it's a bit better. He was actually pretty decent in it and you can tell how much he's matured in movies like The Town and Argo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Daredevil was a terrible movie because of the movie company, not because of Ben Affleck. If you watch the director's cut, then it's a bit better. He was actually pretty decent in it and you can tell how much he's matured in movies like The Town and Argo.
    You're right. The only thing I'd be concerned about though is that this isn't Affleck directing Affleck, nor is it based on a script that Affleck has had a hand in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Otacon wrote: »
    A very good fan-made trailer (at least IMO)

I was just about to post that!!

I've not seen the Town but I definitely agree with you. I think he's an interesting choice. I was one of the few that actually liked Daredevil. Don't get me wrong, there are big problems with it but Affleck was definitely not among them.
    I don't know how he'll portray Bruce Wayne but it would be nice if they worked on the detective aspect of Batman as opposed to just the martial arts and the physical crimefighting elements of the character.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

James74 wrote: »

tumblr_ms09heEAvf1qe4vh2o1_500.jpg

Why has Batman only one eye?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I really wish websites would stop posting this as fact. It's hasn't been confirmed by any reputable source and started on a site that's notorious for making up bullsh*t rumors

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/news/writer-of-lex-luthor-casting-rumour-blows-goats-says-anonymous-source.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really wish websites would stop posting this as fact. It's hasn't been confirmed by any reputable source and started on a site that's notorious for making up bullsh*t rumors

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/news/writer-of-lex-luthor-casting-rumour-blows-goats-says-anonymous-source.php

That's nothing. Daily Mail today had a piece about how Matt Damon denied rumours he'd be playing Robin.

"Rumours" =/= People intentionally taking the p*ss

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's just a case of Cranston taking over from Nathan Fillion as the popular actor everyone wants to see in geeky movie roles.

Before Fillion it was Bruce Campbell.

Bruce Campbell for the Luthor role. Someone petition Obama for it.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's just a case of Cranston taking over from Nathan Fillion as the popular actor everyone wants to see in geeky movie roles.

Before Fillion it was Bruce Campbell.

I think Cranston may have started it himself by saying he would love to play Lex Luthor

Nathan Fillion for Wonder Woman :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mark Strong as Lex and Cranston as Gordon, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Cranston may have started it himself by saying he would love to play Lex Luthor

Nathan Fillion for Wonder Woman :P
    As Steve or Wonder Woman? He was great in the animated movie.
    Sure he'll be too busy taking over from Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan.
    FlashD wrote: »
    Why has Batman only one eye?
    Because it turns out, it's Slade Wilson wearing the cowl and not Bruce Wayne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

CastorTroy wrote: »

Or John Stewart for the Justice League/Green Lantern movie and get Idris Elba to play him

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Elba as John Stewart, that's dream casting right there.

• Advertisement

I'd love Elba in a DC role, but I'd say Marvel are the type to demand exclusive contracts. Such a shame given Elba is well above playing a 2nd rate supporting role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I had forgot he was even in Thor to be honest. Shame, brilliant actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wouldn't say he signed an exclusive deal at all, sure wasn't he in Ghostrider 2 aswell and that wasn't done by marvel studios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    With Affleck now as Batman, and given his closeness to Kevin Smith, and lets say Affleck might get some writing privileges or influence on the script.

Do you think Kevin Smith will try push/squeeze some of his Superman/Batman ideas into the film?

He definitely has one failed Superman script (or abandoned project), whatever about Batman.
    Why don't we ask Kevin about "Batffleck"? :P

"I trained this kid, I'm Liam Neeson, man!"

At one point they reference this prescient scene from Jersey Girl:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Aside from the money, why are they doing this? Is that basically the Superman character isn't strong enough (not him personally or within the comic universe, just the writing isn't there because they don't know what to do with him) to carry a film as a lead, and that they have to bring in Batman to shore things up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Because the two cross paths in a fair few comics and stories so only makes sense that they start to cross paths now, and the justice league is born in movie format to copy the avengers! Thus the money making cash grabbing laziness.

I was watching the terrible Batman Forever and I thought that Val Kilmer made an OK Batman. His Bruce Wayne was diabolical though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I was watching the terrible Batman Forever and I thought that Val Kilmer made an OK Batman. His Bruce Wayne was diabolical though.

I dont think there have been any wrong Batmans, just wrong directors.

I thought Kilmer was abysmal, worse than Clooney. Cheesey grins in the cowl and all. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I love Batman but I don't see what he could possibly bring to a film like this, aside from removing any possible kryptonite and I'm pretty sure this universe won't have kryptonite.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Partial to a bit of J'onn J'onzz, Green Lantern and whatnot, but if this is the foundations for a Justice League franchise, the general public ain't gonna give a fiddler's about it if they've gone and blown their proverbial wad on a Batman/Superman screen before getting to a JLA flick; it removes a key USP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Ha Ha - looks official:rolleyes:

http://instagram.com/p/eOODXzgvpq/#

Although if is then prepare for internet meltdown:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I think Affleck will be good as Batman. Maybe get Michael Jambon as Alfred.
    As long as they keep Johnny Deep away from it, it should be grand.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Because it turns out, it's Slade Wilson wearing the cowl and not Bruce Wayne

As Diana :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

does the title mean that these two lads are gonna fight???,or what?if so do you not think it a bit stupid pitting an immortal against a mortal,i mean batty is good,but i have never seen him stopping a hail of 50 cal bullets,welding with his eyes,flying around the world,not to mention out flying a nuclear missile,oh and ya fixing an earthquake,i know who i would put money on to win a fight:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement