Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I've always liked Affleck but this is terrible casting and a backward step for him career-wise. I had in faith in Nolan to make some unusual casting decisions work but I don't have any in Snyder.

For Affleck's sake I hope it doesn't turn out too bad.

my feeling too.

i LIKE afleck, but he's not right for the role IMO and is an example of bloody awfull casting. just like with daredevil.

i can see him being happy to take it though as he is a comic book fan , and lets be honest which of us wouldnt love to be picked to play a character we've loved since childhood. so i cant fault him for saying yes.

still im hard pushed to say who i think should play the role. im not one of those all that pushed with bales interpretaion (the voice really is daft when ya watch it often enough) and no one leaps out in my mind as an obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow a surprising choice even his brother Casey would have a been choice imo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm still annoyed that they've put Batman in the Man of Steel sequel in the first place. I don't care who they've cast.

Just saw this on twitter, titled "You had one job, Affelck!"
    BSWo-uUCYAINRJZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

humanji wrote: »
    Hmm, now that I think about it, every time there's an internet sh*tstorm about someone playing a character, doesn't the actor usually end up doing a great job?

I'm no famous scientician, but I'm fairly sure correlation equals causation!

I was reading an excellent book on the franchise called Billion Dollar Batman, and in it the author talks about the furore over Keaton's casting in the role. Cries of 'Mr. Mom cannot be Batman!' Up to that point he'd primarily been a comedic actor and by all accounts wasn't a very popular choice when announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

OU812 wrote: »
    So this makes Affleck the first actor to play three superheroes on screen? Daredevil, Superman (Hollywoodland), & Batman.

Does it?

Ryan Reynolds has played 3 already and all of those films were rubbish -

Green Lantern
    Deadpool (Wolverine Origins)
    Hannibal King (Blade Trinity).

• Advertisement

Greyjoy wrote: »

Green Lantern

:eek:

It's really hard to tell. While Gigili and Daredevil almost destroyed his career, the likes of The Town, Hollywoodland, and Argo have all proven that he is great actor. Everybody was unsure of Ledger on the back of things like 10 Things About You and a few other forgetful movies and look like how he turned out in Dark Knight.

However, I really would really liked to see how he managed behind the camera for this kind of movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll wait and see with this. It allreally depends on where they are going with the tone. Man of Steel was far closer to the Marvel movies then the Dark Knight trilogy in tone so Affleck could be just right for this. Back to the Burton-esque Batman which isn't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Matt Damon as Robin so?

"Rahbin, we gotta go ta Ahkam. Hop in the Baht Chaaaaar".

''My boy Rahbin is wicked smaht.''

Green Lantern

I thought he was great in Wolverine Origins and Blade Trinity myself :o

I guess Affleck has to be better than Clooney :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Green Lantern

Was just going to say that. Although I enjoy the schlockiness of the Blade movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

humanji wrote: »
    There's already a petition to remove him as batman: http://www.change.org/petitions/warner-brothers-remove-ben-affleck-as-batman-bruce-wayne-in-the-superman-batman-movie

I wonder how many people who've signed it have only see the Christian Bale films?

Funny seeing the people want Bale back. I liked 'im but at the rate he was going he would've looked like:

tumblr_lz3y9qekXa1qg1akyo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's really hard to tell. While Gigili and Daredevil almost destroyed his career, the likes of The Town, Hollywoodland, and Argo have all proven that he is great actor. Everybody was unsure of Ledger on the back of things like 10 Things About You and a few other forgetful movies and look like how he turned out in Dark Knight.

However, I really would really liked to see how he managed behind the camera for this kind of movie!

Hey! Don't knock 10 Things and A Knight's Tale was not forgetful. :)

Not too bothered by this casting. He's a guy I could see in the role and doing a decent job. Plus he knows how to direct himself so if he thinks Snyder's not doing a decent job, I'm sure he'll say so.

And I'll be honest and say Bale in Dark Knight Rises was approaching parody levels with the voice and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

chris evans: Captain america, human torch,
    Push is a "science fiction superhero film " and scott pilgrim v the world is a comic. So he may qualify depending on your viewpoint.

He was also in comic movie The Losers.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hey! Don't knock 10 Things and A Knight's Tale was not forgetful. :)

Not too bothered by this casting. He's a guy I could see in the role and doing a decent job. Plus he knows how to direct himself so if he thinks Snyder's not doing a decent job, I'm sure he'll say so.

And I'll be honest and say Bale in Dark Knight Rises was approaching parody levels with the voice and all.

Not knocking 10 Things at all. It's one of my favourite movies of that time. Ledger was excellent in it. I meant more things like Casanova, Brothers' Grimm, and Ned Kelly. Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain were definitely his breakout roles though.

I doubt Afleck will give Snyder any advice, because he is a director. Snyder did an excellent job with the Watchmen, though it was slightly over-long. He did show he could direct multiple characters at the same time, without getting lost or bogged down.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

How great an actor you have to be to wear a cape and cowl and possibly effect a silly voice? He is not taking on the role of Hamlet FFS.

Also, Keaton got a lot of flack back in the day before delivering a performance that even many of the Nolan die hards seem to think credible. Give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Imagine a day when an announcement like this is made and everyone online is happy about it.

And the seas will boil and the sun will turn to blood...

Though the majority of people seemed happy with the new Doctor (slightly OT, I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

One former steroid dealer's prediction for how he will make the transformation:

What transformation? Affleck is a big lad in general and got fairly beefed for The Town. I'd say he's well capable of getting in decent shape for this in a very short period, and he's got ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Ben's response to the internet hate.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What transformation? Affleck is a big lad in general and got fairly beefed for The Town. I'd say he's well capable of getting in decent shape for this in a very short period, and he's got ages.

Has he? Would shooting not be starting early next year? So what would he have 6 months? I read before the Cavill was in training for 11 months for superman and he wasn't in bad shape either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure they even have enough time to write the script. Unless they push back the release date, the film is going to be a rush job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

the film is going to be a rush job.

Thats exactly my issue with this movie, its not that Affleck is playing Batman, its that there will be a Batman, its way too early to be pushing for this movie, it's gonna be a mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's possible they are actually aiming for summer 2016 and the 2015 date is just their way of telling Snyder and Goyer to get a move on. Of course, if Snyder had any clout he could decide his own release date like Nolan and Abrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

OU812 wrote: »
    k7dTaLj.jpg

Snigger.

That's a movie I'd actually watch. No interest in Superman vs Batman. None and I'm a fairly big Batman fan. I still think it's that WB felt MOS underperformed and instead of looking at what didn't work (director, script) decided to jump a movie or two into the future and include Batman to get some attention.

As for Affleck? I'm curious but kinda surprised he agreed to it. I'd have thought in recent years that he has become fairly aware of his shortcoming and his likability in certain instances. He has to know that this role/s come with the danger of Affleck the smug prick. The outrage and petitions are hilarious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Batman franchise finished for me with the Bale/Nolan version, I gave Snyder the benefit of the doubt with Superman but on reflection it's nowhere near as good as The Dark Knight Trilogy. Nothing against Ben Affleck but think we are heading back in the DC movie universe towards the Joel Schumacher type movie with this :(

Has he? Would shooting not be starting early next year? So what would he have 6 months? I read before the Cavill was in training for 11 months for superman and he wasn't in bad shape either.

Six months is bucket loads of time, especially with Affleck's build.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Henry Cavill is filming The Man From UNCLE for the next few months, and he said around the time MoS came out that he was nowhere near the shape he was in for filming anymore, so how is he even going to be ready to film early next year? Never mind Ben. It seems very rushed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

4FFAB509-A3DA-4F10-879F-067735C52ED6-3641-0000047F3785DFAF_zps6f3e03d1.jpg

• Advertisement

Henry Cavill is filming The Man From UNCLE for the next few months, and he said around the time MoS came out that he was nowhere near the shape he was in for filming anymore, so how is he even going to be ready to film early next year? Never mind Ben. It seems very rushed to me.

He doesn't really need to be though. The big deal has been made of his size now and the shirtless shot was done. People will just accept now that he's a beast. For example, Chris Evans wasn't nearly as big in The Avengers as he was in Captain America but you still just accept that he's tanked. Cavill will be huge in the sequel, surely, but there won't be quite as much pressure on him to get *so* big because its already been established.

Advertisement