Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's brilliant news - best man for the job imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Some guy posted this on IMDB (Aaron Sorkin board) and I have to say it sounds hilarously accurate.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0815070/board/nest/191503950
    we already know exactly how this film will be, we don't even need to see it.

it'll have him be an *beep* that gets things done, a misunderstood hero. obviously.
    it will be framed around him as a cancerous old guy, a myth, in his giant home walking around corridors still working on new technology while reflecting on things to his biographer.but iitll be cutting back in time, to the fall and rise of apple

(we already have the TV movie to show the rise of apple, unless they build a david lean epic out of this)

so
    lots of scenes where hes an ass alienating people in meetings, firing in elevators, saying outrageous things but being effective. snappy dialog that will make the audience feel like they are brilliant for following it

many scenes will end with people angry at him. lots of walking and talking. all the controversial elements of his life - custody, child labor will be just slightly touched upon to muddy the waters a little bit, but the film will make us understand that. and be pieces of the larger picture of his mind

it will balance his personal life and his work life and how they are one and the same, ie his wife will scream, 'youre killing yourself! youre tearing this family apart! youre not spending time with your children!' likewise when it comes to dealing with his children he will have a very technical / apple approach to it, "that daycare center simply will not do I wasn't happy with the temperature of the water in their cooler" - cause steve jobs never knew how to turn genius off (hey you can use that line too)

bill gates will have a few scenes as this villainous character in the background that they have an old rival friendship, the audience will grin whenever gates appears.
    you get the picture. a generic biopic that we see five times a year.

inevitable comparisons to citizen kane "a complicated portrait of a powerful man." or "a powerful portrait of a complicated man."

he will die in the end and there will be an inspiring coda like in the films of Malcolm X and Gandhi that show how big of an effect they had on people. so for jobs it will also include, cynically, the audience seeing some of his enemies that he made through the film lauding him, and exposing their phoniness. this will also show that jobs himself didnt sentimentalize death, that his legacy is here on earth where progress must continue.

there we go, pretty much right? he can knock that crap out in a weekend

Hopefully the actual film won't be that formulaic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

http://www.thewrap.com/christian-bal...vie-exclusive/

Aaron Sorkin wrote the film, which will be produced by Scott Rudin, Mark Gordon and Guymon Casady

Oscar winner Christian Bale is David Fincher's choice to play Steve Jobs in the untitled movie that Aaron Sorkin has written for Sony, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Scott Rudin and Mark Gordon are producing with Film 360's Guymon Casady.

Pics:

tumblr_lsweopRNdq1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

h29FBD0E7

steve-jobs-christian-bale.jpg

Found this hilarious transcript online from the script:

Steve Jobs: Am I going to walk around and rip your wifi down, in the middle of a presentation? Then why the **** are you using yours right through? Ah-da-da-dah, like this in the background. What the **** is it with you press? What don't you ****ing understand? You got any ****ing idea about, hey, it's ****ing distracting having somebody uploading **** in the crown in the middle of the ****ing presentation? Give me a ****ing answer! What don't you get about it?

Giz: We're just blogging man.

Bale: Ohhhhh, goooood for you. And how was it? I hope it was ****ing good, because it's useless now, isn't it?

Giz: OK.

Bale: **** sake man, you're amateurs. Cook, you got ****ing something to say to these pricks?

Tim 'Cook' Cook: I didn't see the blog.

Steve: Well, somebody should be ****ingwatching and keeping an eye on them.

Cook: Fair enough.

Steve: It's the second time that thet doesn't give a **** about what is going on on the stage, all right? I'm trying to ****ing do an unveiling here, and I am going "Why the **** is the New York Times not loading? Why is that page not loading?" Do you understand my mind is not in the presenetation if they're doing that?

Giz: I absolutely apologise. I'm sorry, I did not mean anything by it.

Steve: Stay off the ****ing press man. For **** sake. Alright, let's go again.

Cook: Let's just take a minute.

Steve: Let's not take a ****ing minute, let's go again.

Steve: I'm going to ****ing kick your ****ing asses if you don't kill those hotspots! All right?

Unknown voices: Steve, Steve. It's cool.

Steve: I'm going to go... Do you want me to ****ing go trash your routers?
    Do you want me to ****ing trash 'em? Then why are you trashing my presentation?

Giz: I'm not trying to trash your presentation.

Steve: You are trashing my presentation!

Giz: Steve, We were only...

Steve: You do it one more ****ing time and I ain't walking on this stage if you're still blogging. I'm ****ing serious. You're a nice blog. You're a nice blog, but that don't **** cut it when you're ****ing around like this on a live press event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anybody would've been better than Ashton Kutcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Bale is certainly a big enough a*****e to play Jobs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »

True that, shame really though, the likeness between him and jobs when he was younger is pretty uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True that, shame really though, the likeness between him and jobs when he was younger is pretty uncanny.

It definitely is. Whatever about the film, the likeness is one of the best there's been for a biopic in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Do we really need another Jobs film so soon after the last one? Which in itself was far from stellar.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was the best Jobs movie IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Do we really need another Jobs film so soon after the last one? Which in itself was far from stellar.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was the best Jobs movie IMO

If it's Fincher then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fan-made poster.

steve-jobs-christian-bale-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Danny Boyle to direct and Leo Di Caprio to star is the latest rumours as Fincher is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Ugh, stop trying to make this a thing Hollywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Christian, you're better than this! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

e_e wrote: »
    Watched the film tonight and thought he was excellent. Maybe that's because I wasn't expecting much from him or maybe critics are judging him unfairly based on previous work/reputation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

camz09 wrote: »
    Christian, you're better than this! :(

Better than a Danny Boyle directed film written by Aaron Sorkin? He's not exactly slumming it. I wouldn't be a fan of Apple at all or the quasi religion surrounding it but this has plenty going for it. The book that's it's based off is excellent and Jobs was a real piece of work, a great character for an actor to play, think Bale would really get him too. The only thing I will say is that I think Fincher is good at making bad people great protagonists and he'd have really made it work but it could've been a little like Social Network I suppose.

Seth Rogen to play Steve Wozniak

Source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And… Bale has pulled out. Supposedly because he thinks he’s not right for the role, but I suspect there was creative differences.

I’m delighted. Hopefully Boyle will go next. Without Fincher this project deserves to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Pity, Bale could have brought great empathy to the role. Jobs was a Premier league d**khead.

Michael Fassbender is in talks now

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I feel I'm going to be thinking what could have been with Fincher directing and Bale as Jobs when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Meh... won't be in any rush to see this one. Seth Rogen just strikes me as horribly miscast given his usual fare as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christ, the world needs to get over Steve ****ing Jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Full trailer:

Fassbender’s great and all but looks very miscast. He doesn’t have the relaxed intensity needed for the role. Bale, on the tight leash that Fincher would have kept him on, would have been perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Its a cracking trailer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Looking forward to this. Liked the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It looks like the perfect movie for something like Netflix. I'll watch it eventually but I wouldn't be too fussed to pay at the cinema.

Saw this tonight, high hopes being a huge fassbendmeover and Aaron sorkin fan. I left it thinking meh to be honest. I wouldn't be telling people to rush to the cinema to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

How much is it into this movie? Only €8?
    They should really charge €25 for it and make you queue up all night to go and see it.

• Advertisement

Having seen the film, I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The following extract is from a review I wrote, the rest of which you can read here.
    Steve Jobs feels, first and foremost, like an Aaron Sorkin film. This, however, is not to discredit Boyle, but to recognise the strength of Sorkin’s screenplay, adapted from the lengthy 656 page biographical tome of the Apple magnate, written by Walter Isaacson and published less than three weeks after Jobs’ death. The film’s near-constant tête-à-têtes are positively breathless, cramming in endless references to the history of Apple, its products, its developers, its shareholders and every conceivable angle that a two-hour film could manage. Whatever critical adjectives could be levelled at Steve Jobs as a film, ‘dull’ is not one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Looking forward to this on Friday I must say

Kind of loved this movie, it has so much sound and fury coming from the script, direction and performances but it still stays perfectly pitched and paced. The structure of the film is also pretty ingenious, not just in the way different film formats are incorporated (16MM, 35MM, Digital) but in the way repetition builds tension until all the old grievances come out in a whopper of a third act. Really liked Winslet and Rogen's performances too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭crybaby

Christ, the world needs to get over Steve ****ing Jobs.

Has there ever been a weirder choice of icon in the history of mankind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Boyle's stylistic flourishes has a tendency to jar against the film's overall-tone and the film's titular character is
    ultimately redeemed all too easily - the emotional beat of his daughter giving him a chance didn't really feel "earned", as it were, or at least not "earned" very well.
    Overall, however, it's a really engaging portrait of a man whose greatest and basically only fear was vulnerability. Sorkin's script is fun and dramatic, and Boyle succeeds in letting this wordy narrative breathe.

Side-note: is it just me, or did Winslet's accent change about halfway through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this tonight after having read an article during the week about it being pulled from US screens due to poor public reception. The thing is though, the movie going public have made Michael bay films ridiculously successful so I'm never gonna judge a film by how much money it makes. To give an example of how fickle a lot of audiences are.......I know a girl, who after seen the film Everest, which remember is a true story, proceeded to tell me she didn't like it. I thought Everest was a pretty good movie so i asked her what it was she didn't like. It was the ending apparently, more specifically the fact that she would've preferred the film makers to have dispensed with the truth and create a fictionalised ending. I Sh1t you not. That's what you're dealing with. So the fact it was pulled in the states didn't bother me and I'm really glad it didn't because I loved this film. I can see why it's not gonna have mass appeal, I think it's a brave film to go the way it has. It's not conventional, the scenes go on for ages but the dialogue is so good, I personally lapped that up. For all the techno babble that's sprouted though, I think this is a film about the relationship between a father and his daughter, and it's kind of beautiful. It really hit me in the feels.
    Go see this if you like films with cracking dialogue and depth of feeling. Don't go if you like conventional by the numbers film making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Seen it tonight and really enjoyed it.

I know little or nothing about Job's story tbh and so can't comment on it's accuracy or lack of it, but I was engrossed in it and have to say it felt much shorter than its 2hr runtime.

Decent film.

asda.png
    latest?cb=20120827202713

Am I the only one who thought that his younger self looked a lot like Jim Carrey? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I loved The Social Network, and I love almost everything Sorkin has done, so I will be watching this, but I will be assuming, similar to the Social Network, it will be about as accurate as the movie version of Van Helsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Enjoyed it, didn't love it like the social network a film I adore. I'm never a fan of films that take place over very short time frames. This film takes place in 3 real-time half hour slots. It's an interesting way to tell the story, but I wasn't the biggest fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i went to see it last night and really enjoyed it..... not sure how close to the truth it was though but still enjoyed it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

maybe i missed something obvious but what was it that his daughter drew that he gave her at the end?

jobless wrote: »
    maybe i missed something obvious but what was it that his daughter drew that he gave her at the end?

The design of the imac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I must say I really enjoyed this. I love anything Aaron Sorkin anyway but I thought the scene between Michael Fassbender and Jeff Daniels in the second half was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a movie! It was like an action sequence done through argument and I was genuinely out of breath by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jobless wrote: »
    i went to see it last night and really enjoyed it..... not sure how close to the truth it was though but still enjoyed it...

me too.

could be all bollocks in terms of what the lad was really like in real life but i enjoyed it as the drama it was .

really excellent preformances all around, particularly fastbender.

there was some lovely meaty fight/arguement scenes and i thought the quirky way it was structured was cool. for something that kinda came out of the blue to me (i had no idea it was being made despite the thread :) ) it surprised me in being one of the most enjoyable films of the year for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I liked the structure and the performances are great, but I find it hard to think of the subject as anything more than just alright, tbh. I just don't care for Jobs and never really bought into the myth around him. I get that the film is trying to deconstruct the myth to a certain extent, but I kinda found it hard to care about him or anything that he was doing or saying. I thought there were some similarities to The Social Network, but I definitely thought there was something a bit more compelling about The Social Network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Probably end up my Film of the Year, loved it from the first moment to the last.

Michael Fassbender was excellent as per usual but this could be the role that could win him a Oscar. Jeff Daniels, Kate Winslet and Seth Rogen all delivered fine performances. But this is Fassbender's film all the way.

The Script by Sorkin is excellent as per usual and Danny Boyle hold's back on his style and still makes this film look stunning. Not going to be everyone's cup of tea but Steve Jobs is excellent and thought provoking piece of cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. Very well put together. And I agree with the person that said the scene with Jeff Daniels in the middle section was terrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - without being completely blown away by it.

The cast & performances, script and way it was pieced together by Boyle was top notch imo. Particularly loved the scene where the Jobs ran through technology catching up - with Challenger?/Apollo on the wall before the Next launch

Winslet - who's accent got stronger after the first act hilariously, Rogan, Daniels all flanked Fassbender incredibly well. Sorkin made the script in such a way that the individual conversations were insightful but cutting and sharp witted. FWIW I'm a massive Fassbender fan but talk of an Oscar is blowing his performance way out of proportion. It was a very solid display by him, he was good at portraying annoyance at having to explain things to people & his aggressive Russian Roulette conversation with his chief engineer seemed typical of Jobs. Great performance - not oscar worthy.

Look forward to seeing this again at home when it's available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Saw this last night.. Pleasantly surprised. Fassbender was excellent. I had no previous info about this film, and to see him in every scene was incredible.. surprised he didn´t get the oscar.

Even Rogan was good in this movie and didn´t sound stoned all the time. Winslet was good once I decide to ignore her changable Heidi Klum accent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement