Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livery colours

• 03-01-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Got me thinking the current livery colours on Dublin Bus that must be 10 years old now, I take it at the moment they aren't going to change it anytime soon, would this be the longest it's been that colour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

What got you thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

The first trial of the current livery was on one bus in Donnybrook in August 2003, followed by a couple of variations on another bus (one using, for example, white where the yellow currently is).

By November 2003 the current livery was agreed on, and repaints commenced. So yes, nearly 10 years.

The blue & cream introduced from 1961 lasted until 1974 when the orange arrived, however repaints were so slow that by the time the two-tone green was introduced in 1981, there were still some buses in blue & cream, so the orange or "tan" livery never totally ruled the roost.

Then it got complicated.

City Swift was introduced in 1993, and that livery ran alongside the others, alongside the green, which was replaced in 1998 by a new blue & cream, which was replaced in 2003 by current livery.

The decision was made in 2003 to have one standard livery - so replacing the old "Core", "City Swift" and "City Imp' liveries.

Repaints were swift, all being completed by end 2006.

C635

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Conway635 wrote: »
    Repaints were swift, all being completed by end 2006.
    ...which must mean that DB throws away money on repaints if they are hurriedly repainting the entire fleet to standardise it each time they change their (not simple) livery.

Buses in Berlin have had 2 colours in about 80 years. Yellow and then a more yellow shade of yellow. The "new shade" came in about 15 years ago but you STILL see the odd old unit out and about with the previous paler shade of yellow.

There are no stripes, no complex graphics. The buses are painted in a simple distinctive livery. I really like this approach tbh (Berlin U Bahn and Tram units are the same plain yellow as they are run by the same company, the BVG).

Munich has reverted to this "simple" style as well (they use all over blue however) for their U Bahn, tram and bus units, having previously used a (still fairly simple) blue/white livery. These are simple ways to keep costs down and should be taken for granted by a bus operator that is essentially state funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

murphaph wrote: »
    Buses in Berlin have had 2 colours in about 80 years. Yellow and then a more yellow shade of yellow. The "new shade" came in about 15 years ago but you STILL see the odd old unit out and about with the previous paler shade of yellow.

There are no stripes, no complex graphics. The buses are painted in a simple distinctive livery. I really like this approach tbh (Berlin U Bahn and Tram units are the same plain yellow as they are run by the same company, the BVG).

Munich has reverted to this "simple" style as well (they use all over blue however) for their U Bahn, tram and bus units, having previously used a (still fairly simple) blue/white livery. These are simple ways to keep costs down and should be taken for granted by a bus operator that is essentially state funded.

A big Jahwohl to that !!

One only has to look at the chaotic state of the UK's two majors...First Group and Stagecoach to see phenomonal waste of resources on "Styling" or "Branding" exercises.

By this stage,if anybody with a bit of oomph had been in charge,the NTA would have decided on the Dublin Transport Logo and Colour Scheme and implimented it...although....perhaps the Green Frog on a.....ahem :o....Green background might have been a step too far (backwards).

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

murphaph wrote: »
    ...which must mean that DB throws away money on repaints if they are hurriedly repainting the entire fleet to standardise it each time they change their (not simple) livery.

It's an easy assumption to make, but on this issue I'm happy to reassure that DB is acting reasonably (and if you go through my posting history you will see that I am critical of their operations or decisions as often as I am supportive, so I'm not heavily biased).

The repaints take place as part of an overhaul cycle when the buses are aged 3, 6, and 9 years (with disposal assumed to take place at year 12).

Dublin's buses are used hard, and many leave the fleet having passed the million mile mark through all-day, every-day service. Consequently the buses will often have clocked up in excess of a quarter of a million miles by the time of each overhaul, at which point a comprehensive inspection and replacement is done on body frame, panels etc, and with many gleaming new unpainted panels, a trip to the paint shop is a neccessity in any case.

So when the new livery was introduced at the end of 2003, the newest three quarters of the fleet would pick up the new colours on next overhaul, while the remaining 25% were withdrawn and sold to the UK as end of life.

Repainting is done by outside contractors, all by open tender for best cost.

The reason why, in the earlier days (60s, 70s) the livery changes took much longer, is that while the overhauls in those days were even more thorough, the system for selecting vehicles for overhaul was more random, and some Atlanteans had been overhauled into orange twice while others were still running round in blue and cream and in rag order. The overall state of the fleet these days is a million times better than it was in the 1970s thanks to better vehicles, and a more systematic approach.

It is interesting that you mention buses in mainland europe as compared to Dublin. I would agree that they would see body overhaul and repaint less frequently than Irish ones, on the whole, though I'd bet mechanical/electrical schedules would be near identical.

Ireland presents a special problem for bus bodywork (rather than mechanics) due to our somewhat uneven approach to road design and repairs.

I remember talking to a chief engineer of Bombardier towards the tail end of that firm's brief life building buses for CIE in the early 1980s. By this time some 300 of the eventual 366 KD type double-deckers were on the road, and the early ones, only two years old, were already encountering problems with body frames cracking and sagging.

He pointed out that CIE had the design comissioned from FFG of Hamburg, a well respected German firm, and they had, as requested produced the designs and prototypes for "city double deck", "city single deck" etc.

However what a German engineer understood by a "city bus" was bustling back and forward along well-paved european streets, and not careering up and down Killincarrig Hill on the 84, or operating provincial routes out of Cork on roads little better than boreens. He told me that he had taken a spin on a KD on the Cork to Fountainstown service in the company of an FFG senior manager who had come to Ireland to investigate the problems being encountered, and that this one sample of the environment in which their "city buses" were operating left them both white-faced . . .

But anyway, back to the colours.

Body inspection and refurbishment, retrim and repaint, this happens every three years, whether the corporate colours are changing or not, and believe me it contributes to the overall wellbeing and efficiency of the hardware.

C635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They badly need to add some go-faster stripes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Was quite partial to the Green back in the early 90's, change them back lads !

Advertisement