Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metal Gear Solid 2

• 22-07-2005 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly at the end of MGS2:SOL and I'm a little confused. Does everyone find the storyline much more complex than necessary or am I just not using all my brain cells?

MSG1 was simple - go in, shoot 'em, blow Mr. Gear up, pop Liquid, get out. With MGS2 I don't know who's in charge, whos is actually in control or what the overall plot is.

Am I alone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

ummm...i quite liked the new character in it to be honest...the ending of the game should explain a lot for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I would recommend to complete it as Divers mentioned, the story will get clearer, how it is made at the end is deliberately made to confuse you, but is a great story in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aye the storyline has a lot more depth than the first one, it will make sense in the end. Hideo Kojima is the best director in the games market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Panserborn wrote:
    I'm nearly at the end of MGS2:SOL and I'm a little confused. Does everyone find the storyline much more complex than necessary or am I just not using all my brain cells?

MSG1 was simple - go in, shoot 'em, blow Mr. Gear up, pop Liquid, get out. With MGS2 I don't know who's in charge, whos is actually in control or what the overall plot is.

Am I alone?
    I'd agree; thought it to be a load of unmitigated toss meself...thoroughly enjoyed the game, but on my second time around I just found myself laughing at how daft it was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I never played the original MGS, but in my opinion MGS2 has the best story line in any game I've played. Period. Totally ridiculous and OTT, but in fairness who the hell cares, its good fun. I've never felt so involved or attached to characters in any computer game before. I was genuinely upset when
    your friend's sister is killed.

I got MGS3 a while ago, but I haven't played it much because of WoW. But from what I've seen, it's got those great cinematic scenes i loved from the MGS2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I think the incredible characters were gone too far with Psycho Mantis (Vamp WTF) but for some reason the incredible-ness of them seems to fade away... Kojima's good. Metal Gear games have to be some of the most confusing but enjoyable games there are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Story synopsis of MGS2: The story is a load of me arse. As Games TM said this issue Kojima tried to do an ending with as much impact as the ending of Panzer Dragoon Saga and messed it up a bit. The storyline does make some sense but just loses the plot in the hour long codec scene before the final fight. It was a good attempt by Kojima but he just didn't pull it off in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Retr0gamer wrote:
    just loses the plot in the hour long codec scene before the final fight.

Its an hour long?!?!? I was about 15 min into it when I got a call and had to turn the PS2 off. I better leave some time aside for it!

Have many played MGS3? Worse, better or on a par with MGS1 or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Panserborn wrote:
    Have many played MGS3? Worse, better or on a par with MGS1 or 2?
    I think I like MGS 1 and 2 fairly equally, but 3 not quite as much. It just doesn't have the same feel and atmosphere. I can't explain it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd agree; thought it to be a load of unmitigated toss meself...thoroughly enjoyed the game, but on my second time around I just found myself laughing at how daft it was...

The idea of the patriots is not as stupid as it sounds. If you look at how america is run and the farce that is the american presidency elections and the fact that many things are kept secret from even the president himself it's not as hard to beleive as you may think. I know it's a fictional story but a beleivable one apart from the ott characters but that's kojima for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You've got to love the subtle anti-american message the Metal Gear games give off. The Americans always create the bad guys and the situation is always their mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nothing wrong with a bit of realism in a game :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Me I just thought the ending was pants. The japanese sure do like there plot twists .......but 6 billion of them wasn't required. The game was was good up to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

All in all, you really would need to complete the game more than once to fully comprehend the storyline, as i only realised the full plot after finishing it twice.

It's quite a good game although trying to collect all the dogtags was a bit annoying hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Roll on MGS4!! One month to go!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

0_o

Why drag up an old thread on MGS2? Why not search for MGS4 and post it the most relevent thread or, failing that, start a new thread on the fourth installment?

Just seems strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

all you need to do is play the game one more time with the right order:
    MGS3-(MGSOP)-MG-MG2-MGS1-MGS2-(MGS4) :D the story is kinda easy if you get the idea from the start.lots of stuffs are explained in mgs3 for mgs2...kojima is just playing the movie style plotting in the game,kinda like Sincity pulp fiction style

lol just realise this is an old thread...welcome on boards tenacious-me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Otacon wrote: »
    0_o

Why drag up an old thread on MGS2? Why not search for MGS4 and post it the most relevent thread or, failing that, start a new thread on the fourth installment?

Just seems strange...

he's just ultra excited about mgs 4, like me! i have two days off work sorted for it!

Staying somewhat on-topic I suppose, I remember when MGS2 came out, I played it non-stop, and I mean non-stop for two days to complete it... slept for a day and a half after it!

Think I'm a bit more mature now and might just take my time and enjoy the whole experience this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I got metal gear solid 2 when it first came out, and i was well younger and never paid attention to the story, it was all card board boxes and messing around with the guards for me. I have only come to the attention of the story recently when i questioned my mate that is a big metal gear fan, he knows everything! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

got this game on a friday, finished it by saturday , went to shop saturday evening demanding a refudn

i paid 75 euro when this came out on ps2 from smyths

was utter tripe imo , and pretty much made me leave my ps2 to gather dust

the game fell into sterotypical asian gmaing for me, mainly with a guy character who looks like a girl, and i felt playing that character ruined the game for me.

i thought the plot was ridiculous, cheap rip of the matrix story...

and way too much cut scenes, of them doing stuff i woulda liked to have done

i finished the game in 15 hours and was top of those leaderboards for months.

i for one, am not even thinking bout mgs4, didnt even know they did a 3.

if it comes out for xbox, i still will probably avoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ehh, what?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Ehh, what?

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't know whats worse, the dragging up of old threads, the lambasting of MGS2 or the fact that people are now talking about rabbit holes and the matrix.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

I don't remember the Colonel saying that?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Otacon wrote: »
    I don't remember the Colonel saying that?! :pac:
    He did go a bit wonky in the last third of the game tbh.

got this game on a friday, finished it by saturday , went to shop saturday evening demanding a refudn

i paid 75 euro when this came out on ps2 from smyths

the game fell into sterotypical asian gmaing for me, mainly with a guy character who looks like a girl, and i felt playing that character ruined the game for me.

ooo,the game was out on 2001,i believe they dont have such girly male trends yet huh?

and paying 75euro for the game?recently?and it is the reason it left your ps2 cover with dust?:pac:

:pac:the plot was ridiculous,it is,thats the reason of sci-fi exists:D but cheap rip of matrix?hell,this is the first time i have ever heard of this,bravo sir,your comment beated thousands hundreds of critics or fans comment out there.

let me tell about why is that you feel like it is cheap rip of matrix:rolleyes:

The storyline explores many philosophical and cyberpunk themes in great detail, including meme theory, artificial intelligence, information control, conspiracy theories, political and military maneuvering, evolution, existentialism, censorship, the manipulation of free will and the nature of reality.

now,if only us those who love MGS series cant really see the differences between 2 sci-fi stories....yes,all alien monster killing games are ripoff of Alien movies,all superheroes RIPOFF superman.....etc:pac:

now please go back on your Sir xbox and enjoy your FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was released on the orig 'box.

Picked it up cheap. Enjoyable but didn't have the patience to replay it lots, I kept confuddling the controls. Plot was so-so for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its rubbish

He did go a bit wonky in the last third of the game tbh.

Yeah he did actually! He was bonkers, I didn't know what was going on...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Those japanese people are a bit crazy. They deliberately try and over complicate stories because that is seemingly what the japanese people want and expect. Akira wtf?!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

lads.... how do i beat the metal gear RAYS towards the end of the game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Use the Stinger missiles, and roll like Feck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement