Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What will I need?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Soon to be first time biker, long time bike hater.

Was just wondering exactly what I will need to pick up a bike and drive away in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Get lessons if you can, could save your life.

Helmet and gloves obviously and more protection if you can afford it.

You'll need the bike theory test done and the learner permit for that then.

Make sure the bike is 125cc or under on the learner permit.

Get a good lock too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fabio wrote: »
    Get lessons if you can, could save your life.

Helmet and gloves obviously and more protection if you can afford it.

You'll need the bike theory test done and the learner permit for that then.

Get a good lock too!

Lessons are booked, but will need to pick up bike before hand. I'll be taking it very easy on the way home.

Any recomandations for shops around Dublin for Gloves, Helmets etc?

I have to get my permit back(long story) but technically I am licensed on a A permit, I just don't have it.

Bikes restricted.

Thanks for the luck, hopefully I won't need it.

On that note actually, I'm planning on putting my bike outdoors in a apartment complex near a rather rough part of Dublin. I have a large steel frame I can attach to. Any recommendations on chains, locks, wheel locks? I'm pretty certain I'm going to need to go all out in order to keep it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you've never ridden a bike before, I don't recommend trying to get it home. If I was still insured I'd offer to bring it home for you, but you might be able to convince the seller to bring it to you.

I can't fault bikeworld for gloves, helmet and the rest.

Buy all the gear and don't scrimp - helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots. They'll be much warmer than anything else you can buy and they'll make the difference between 2 weeks in hospital and 50 years in a wheelchair.
    When I first started, I think I spent €250 on gear, but looking back I would recommend spending at least €400 to get set up.

For locking the bike you need a big, f*ck off chain, the biggest you can get. Spend at least €100 on it. Afair, there are all sorts of rating systems for locks, so get the best you can.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just echoing that you shouldnt drive it home. Get it delivered or driven by someone. If you havent driven a bike for a while, it could be a recipe for disaster.

Dont understand what you mean by technically you have a licence, you are supposed to carry your permit with you. So if you aint physically got it, technically youre illegal.

Bare minimum of gear: helmet and gloves. But really, that wont cut it. A proper jacket is also essential, then trousers and boots if budget allows. All armoured if possible. Pay as much as you can afford, particularly on the lid. Anyway, youll quickly discover what you need as you get out on the bike. Cold and wet neck, legs, and feet will tell ya what to buy. :)

Permit will be retrived next Monday, as will gear needed.

Thanks for the advise, have decided to put the bike into a van when I buy it. Big white Transit there boss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I personally think an Alarm and Immobiliser are better then getting a chain as most chains are €100+ and an alarm fitted will cost you €80. Throw on a disc lock for a tenner.

I just use a disc lock on mine.

What sort of bike are you thinking of getting? Also stay away from Bikeworld as it's a rip off. Cotters beside it is much better, failing that go to Newry and stock up.

I've got my eye on a second hand 600c restricted bike. Seems like a very good deal.

But I really need to pin down my bike to something, I'm well aware that where I live it will be in the back of a Van within a day if not securely chained down to a immovable object. Like a house.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its your own property, a ground anchor might be an idea. Then a big ol chain and a really good lock. Make sure the chain is a high spec security one, there are lots of different grades. Some are really easy to cut through. And it should be covered, so it doesnt damage your bike. A disk lock is an added deterrent, you can get ones with an alarm. But generally unless you are within earshot of an alarm yourself they are pretty useless. Noone pays attention to them.

You dont see it about much, but having a bike Datatagged might be something else to put on your wish list. It means the bike has etching and electronic tags all over it, which makes it a less attractive steal if the intention is to break or resell the bike (rather than ride and burn it out :))

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

first things first, u don't get in a bike you get "on" a bike, sorry couldn't resist.

Ok training first, ur instructor will tell u if he or she thinks u are ready to ride a bike on public roads.

Buy the best gear u can afford
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Jacket with built in protection
    Trousers with built in protection
    Decent boots
    Wets
    Thermals for this time of yr
    Neck tube
    Decent warm socks

watch out in Aldi and Lyld for when they are doing bike gear or ski gear

Best of luck and keep it between the ditches ;)

I go on the theory that loads of layers keeps me warmer, no one item is too thick but together they keep me warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Most of the instructors can rent you a bike for your training - that way you can at least take a short ride on a bike you like the look of otherwise you'd be buying blind and it could be crap.

Definitely do not buy a bike that you've never ridden before, #1 rookie mistake when buying a bike.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    Most of the instructors can rent you a bike for your training - that way you can at least take a short ride on a bike you like the look of otherwise you'd be buying blind and it could be crap.

Definitely do not buy a bike that you've never ridden before, #1 rookie mistake when buying a bike.

Why? If I don't like the bike surely I can sell it off at a small hit and get another?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Why? If I don't like the bike surely I can sell it off at a small hit and get another?

It will be more than a small hit especially in this market (you can't sell a bike/car privately for love nor money), not to mention the change in insurance costs too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fabio wrote: »

An "A" motorbike learner permit won't restrict you to 125cc. Though the 125cc bikes seem to sell relatively quicker from what I've seen. A guy at work bought a 125 to learn on a few months ago, and traded it in at the same place. The place gave him the original price as the trade in value!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some good advice here so i will try avoid repeating what has been said as best i can!

Firstly welcome to the world of biking! :) If done right, it will bring your many years of pleasure! :)

Training is very important, and not just the simple stuff needed to pass the test. The further training I did has saved my life more than once. I walked away from 2 accident scenes twice. I credit the training with.

As for gear, as already said, buy the best you can afford. And more importantly wear it no matter what the weather. Even if the sun is shining, put all your gear. Sunshine doesnt prevent accidents despite what some of the bikers on the road seem to think! :eek:

Id also recommend an alarm/immobiliser. I cant remember the name of the one i have at the moment, but its not a datatool. I prefer the one i have to the datatool i used to have.

JP Motorcycles on Pearse have been around a long time and look after loyal customers.
    Bikeworld have an excellent selection of everything, although personally i wouldnt buy a bike there. (Although i have bought some gear there)

And last and not least, always ride within your ability. :)

colm_c wrote: »
    It will be more than a small hit especially in this market (you can't sell a bike/car privately for love nor money), not to mention the change in insurance costs too.

Tbh, I'm looking at this one. From what I can tell it seems like a very good deal. The insurance quote is large, but still less then what I was willing to pay after buying a bigger car(which has been waylaid atm).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

There was some mention of a specific company in the UK that make great chains...check out the thread on here about Locks that I began.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd echo what was said above.

For gear, I'd recommed Cotters ( http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php )

I picked up some boots and armored leggings there a few days ago and was given a €75 discount! Can't fault that :D

Bikeworld has a great selection as well, but I find them a little overpriced which is not surprising considering their extensive overheards having such a large place.

Joe in ISM at the Drumcondra branch gave me my training and I'd recommend him 100%. He got me out of a lot of really bad habits and has made me a much much safer driver.

As for security, the best security is keeping the bike out of sight. If the scum can't see it, they won't try nick it.

Advertisement