Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking a motorcycle...

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Is it best to lock the front wheel or the back wheel?

I've heard the front is best to lock as a thief can't lift the front and walk the bike then...

I'm becoming a little paranoid as apparently there was two guys entered by front garden last night and eyed up the bike even though it's cover looked undisturbed.

The front gate is locked with a cable lock and the car is in the driveway so it'd be hard to move the bike without making a lot of noise and it's a small driveway too.

The bike itself has it's steering lock, a heavy chain on the back wheel, a disc lock at the front and a u-lock also on the front.

What do people on here normally do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fabio wrote: »
    I
    The bike itself has it's steering lock, a heavy chain on the back wheel, a disc lock at the front and a u-lock also on the front.

Sounds ok to me!
    www.almax-security-chains.co.uk, ****ing decent locks and take it from someone who has three attempted robberies and everyone failed thanks to almax!
    Am I a schill? Here since 2004 and drive a moped worth feck all,I've nothing to prove.
    Best of luck OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

A few years ago I had a VFR stolen from my front garden the gate was locked a car parked and stearing lock and a good lock round the frame and back wheel I dont know how but they lifted it over a 1 meter wall and carryed it away.

Lock it to something might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It doesn't really matter once its locked to something that is unmovable with a good chain and lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Could anyone recommend something that you can carry around with you? For example, locking a bike in town/work, etc. The almax stuff looks like quality but can't image carrying it around on trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if the cnuts want it they will get it,these f###ers are experts on it
    best bet is a garage or shed with good security,out of site out of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Best thing for work or whatever is to leave it where people will always see it. Lock the bike to a pole or something with a u-lock and then put a disc-lock on the front brake.

That's be my own two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

I'd use a disk lock and a good chain. I have mine anchored in d back garden too jus to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Good quality chain and a closed shackle lock like the one below. Good tip I picked up, any gaps between the chain and lock, add an old nut to the bar as makes it harder to get a bolt cutter in. I learned this lesson the hard way, f*ckers cut my lock (open shackle :() but thankfully because of my lidl/aldi diskbrake lock they couldn't get the bike, took my heavy duty chain instead.
    Slightly off topic, called Guards who eventually came over "they didn't get your bike whats the problem" :mad: I explained that I had the lock they cut off plus there was a big greasy hand print on the screen surely they could get prints or something only for guard to say "sure all they have to say is they were walking past saw the broken lock picked it up and dropped it again" where upon I said if you do get prints and there on file and something happen locally (another bike taken say) at least you have suspects. Needless to say they didn't take the lock.

17717.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lifting is always the main issue. If you can lock it to something immovable, do. Other than that, all you can do is try to lock in as public a place as possible and make your lock as inaccessible as possible (don't leave any part of it lying on the ground!).

What I used to do with my old marauder was put the chain through the back wheel and up over the fairing at the back. Pic. My logic being that even if someone lifted the bike, it would be impossible to remove the chain without doing massive damage to the rear fairing, making the bike worthless as a second-hander, so any would-be thief wouldn't bother. It never got stolen, but I doubt it was because of my impeccable logic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Moving off the issue a little now but what was the Marauder like to ride?

I've heard it's heavy and underpowered but I'm looking at 250cc cruisers as my next bike (in a year or two if I have the money)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had the 125 Marauder. Not *that* heavy, but underpowered definitely. Not the most reliable of bikes, but I did drive the **** out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I have the 250 Marauder, it is quite heavy and underpowered, but it'll do 100kp/h no problem, which is all you'll need to be doing on a provisional. Brakes aren't that good, but the bike is around for good prices and you get decent mileage out of them. I'll be upgrading as soon as I've passed my test tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

I've got 250cc marauder as well, they've only got 20bhp so not big on power as Dob said. I find it struggling over 80kmph, especially if I'm carrying anything in the saddlebags....or even just carrying the saddlebags themselves!! I also find it has a fairly large "footprint" - filtering isn't as easy as it might be with other bikes coz it's wider (not H-D wide, but not a slim racer either!), and it's got a big turning circle (which I found out during my bike training course!).

A slow cruiser if that's what you want. If you want extra oomph, look for a 400cc or upwards. Once I get the test, I'll probably upgrade to a bigger cruiser myself.

Advertisement