Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating water tank with out having radiators on?

Options
  • 27-07-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all I am sorry if this is wrong place, was not sur if it is better in accomodation and property but maybe technical nature is better here.

I am renting a house where the there is gas central heating. this heat the radiator and water. there is also an imersion for the water tank if we don't want to use the gas.

We have a small problem at the moment that some of the radiators can not be turned down as the plastic knobs are broken and the metal part they connect to are seized.

I have asked landlord to fix these so we can turn down/off radiators so we can heat water on a timer (imerson does not have one) with out also heating the house.

The landlord has replied that the heating and the water tank are on the same circuit so we can not heat the water with out having the radiators on. He also said that we can not turn off radiators when the heat is on as it can damage the closed system

Is it really correct that we need to have radiators on to heat the water, can we not just close or turn off the radiators to heat and just heat the water like we have done every where else?

Is there any danger to to turning off all or some of the radiators to heat water or in the winter if we do not want to heat all rooms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

freiteg wrote: »
    Hi all I am sorry if this is wrong place, was not sur if it is better in accomodation and property but maybe technical nature is better here.

I am renting a house where the there is gas central heating. this heat the radiator and water. there is also an imersion for the water tank if we don't want to use the gas.

We have a small problem at the moment that some of the radiators can not be turned down as the plastic knobs are broken and the metal part they connect to are seized.

I have asked landlord to fix these so we can turn down/off radiators so we can heat water on a timer (imerson does not have one) with out also heating the house.

The landlord has replied that the heating and the water tank are on the same circuit so we can not heat the water with out having the radiators on. He also said that we can not turn off radiators when the heat is on as it can damage the closed system

Is it really correct that we need to have radiators on to heat the water, can we not just close or turn off the radiators to heat and just heat the water like we have done every where else?

Is there any danger to to turning off all or some of the radiators to heat water or in the winter if we do not want to heat all rooms?

The landlord is having you on. A closed system should have an expansion vessel.
    You should be able to shut off each rad separately. Landlord should sort this out for you.
    While you are wanting you can turn the rads off at the other end of the rad

• Registered Users Posts: 16 freiteg

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The landlord is having you on. A closed system should have an expansion vessel.
    You should be able to shut off each rad separately. Landlord should sort this out for you.
    While you are wanting you can turn the rads off at the other end of the rad

Is the expansion vessel a tank in the attic? Are thre any other type of heating systems it could be, house was built in late 70's very early 80s but a few of the radiators have the new theromstat adjustment knobs

Advertisement