Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temperature guidelines for garage

• 24-07-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Our garage houses a 500l solar storage tank as well as the gas boiler, although normally both of them wouldn't be in use at the same time.

These days the tank is in or around 60 degrees most days, up to 70 degrees on the really hot ones. When the maximum temperature is reached it dumps the heat to a radiator in the same room. The front door of the garage is just a wooden door, with no insulation, and there is an air vent (just a big hole in the wall really) in the room, venting to outside.

What we find is that the garage is getting very hot these days, and the venting doesn't seem to be achieving a whole bunch.

Yesterday evening when I came home, the room was ~30 degrees.

Is there a guideline for maximum ambient temperature for rooms such as this? 30 degrees seems pretty high, but I don't know if it's enough to damage stuff stored in the garage. It certainly feels like things like rubber grips on the bike handlebars are suffering at least in the short term.

At what temperature should I start to worry (or worry more, really)?

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Really depends on what stuff is in your garage!

It's 26ºC here today, so your only heating by 4ºC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yesterday when I checked it was the evening, so it wasn't just going from 26 to 30. However, it was "just" 30. I can live with 30 degrees. I can probably live with 35. 40 . . . seems to be a bit high. I'm really just looking for other peoples views/experience on what would temperature would be considered a problem.

Most of the equipment in the room is heating related, so it's all rated to operate at high temperatures anyway.

My query really is what sort of temperature would people start to worry at? I'm trying to work out whether I need to install additional ventilation. Bear in mind that when the solar tank reaches the maximum temperature the excess will be dumped (via a radiator) into the air in the same room. At that point the water coming from the roof to the radiator will be around 70 degrees, so there will be a swift increase in temperature in the room.

z

Advertisement