Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2

• 14-02-2014 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd fire up a new thread for those waiting to take part in Stage 2 and I suppose we can talk here while waiting for the results to be released aswell

Haven't even had a chance to look at the practice tests but I'll go through it all on Sunday. Really looking forward to the next stage :)

Good luck everyone!

P.S, if mods aren't happy, feel free to dump the thread :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

Just in relation to the practice tests, I've done the inductive reasoning and it doesn't give me the number I got correct or incorrect just a proficiency score, anyone know if there is a way to find out your score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

dkg93 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the practice tests, I've done the inductive reasoning and it doesn't give me the number I got correct or incorrect just a proficiency score, anyone know if there is a way to find out your score?

No idea and not sure what's expected to pass... I did same and got a certain level, it's definitely more difficult and requires more time and thought than the first stage tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

havent looked at these yet, hopefully will get started on them this afternoon.

are we all completing the test during the same time period next week?

I believe we all have to complete it at the same time, between Tues noon and Fri noon next week yeah?

Anyone have any inkling or idea of when stage 3 might be? I know they said results of Stage 2 will issue mid-March (prob week of 10-14 i'd say). I'm due to be away in the USA from Fri 14th to Thurs 20th and really really hoping it's not that week (paddy's week), otherwise i'll be screwed for that trip..

Any info anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy 88

Hi all I too got through to band 1 shocked but delighted as waiting a long time.. Just wondering if anyone knows of any prep courses for stage 2??

• Advertisement

Andy 88 wrote: »
    Hi all I too got through to band 1 shocked but delighted as waiting a long time.. Just wondering if anyone knows of any prep courses for stage 2??

Hi, there are Garda prep courses all over the place, if you google career services etc or "garda aptitude prep" you'll find places, but to be honest, I don't think they're too necessary. Obviously everyone is different, but these courses pop up around the times that recruitment occurs and alot are just things you can learn if you google aptitude prep or go to the library and get a book on them, it's all out there for free too.. Good luck either way,

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Alright guys n girls I'm averaging 2.85 on the logical anyone no if this is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy 88

Thanks djor 88!! Hopefully I can get enough material to practice.. Fingers crossed 😄😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

djor88 wrote: »
    google aptitude prep or go to the library and get a book on them, it's all out there for free too.. Good luck either way,

Perfect example, I did both of what you said there, disn't get any professional help and I scored in the top 500 of Band 1. Best of luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I won't be seeking any external help either. The practice tests should be plenty IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 carrig4life

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I won't be seeking any external help either. The practice tests should be plenty IMO

Me neither, have you tried the abstract reasoning...at the end it just tells you, your score nit how many you got right or wrong unlike the other one.any one have any tips?

Me neither, have you tried the abstract reasoning...at the end it just tells you, your score nit how many you got right or wrong unlike the other one.any one have any tips?

Practised that test twice, both times with a score of 2.9 / 3.1 Would love to improve on this, tips would be appreciated

I'm up to my eyes so won't get near it till Sunday, only printed off the Familiarization Material this evening :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Is it only the two test that are available?

I got 20/30 (80th percentile) in the verbal, and inductive reasoning I got 3.1 in the inductive reasoning test.

The inductive test was quite hard. The verbal was a bit tricky.

How are other people doing? I honestly don't know where I stand with the inductive reasoning score??

How did you get on marks-wise?

Rothmans wrote: »
    I got 20/30 (80th percentile) in the verbal

I'd recheck your percentage, 20/30 would equal to 66.6%

billie1b wrote: »

That's correct, but that 66.7% is in the 80th percentile (i.e,it was higher than 80% of other scores).

Have you done the practice verbal yet by any chance? How'd you find it?

Percent =/= percentile

That's correct, but that 66.7% is in the 80th percentile (i.e,it was higher than 80% of other scores).

Have you done the practice verbal yet by any chance? How'd you find it?

Sorry I miss read the post, apologies, my brain is fried. I have done it twice, first time 60%, second 67%, never checked the percentile though

Sorry I miss read the post, apologies, my brain is fried. I have done it twice, first time 60%, second 67%, never checked the percentile though

Just after re-doing the inductive reasoning there like yourself. I thought that the second test was markedly easier than the first, but I only managed to go up to 3.18. It's a pity that they don't give us a percentile, as these abstract figures leave us none the wiser as to our score compared to others.

I think this inductive reasoning might be scored quite conservatively.

Just after re-doing the inductive reasoning there like yourself. I thought that the second test was markedly easier than the first, but I only managed to go up to 3.18. It's a pity that they don't give us a percentile, as these abstract figures leave us none the wiser as to our score compared to others.

I think this inductive reasoning might be scored quite conservatively.

I don't think those practice tests are reserved for us are they? They seem open to anyone that opens an account with that site. Meaning the percentile wouldn't be much use. You'd have people from all walks of life having a go and skewing the results. That's my take on it from a brief glance, I'm probably way off.. :D

• Advertisement

I don't think those practice tests are reserved for us are they? They seem open to anyone that opens an account with that site. Meaning the percentile wouldn't be much use. You'd have people from all walks of life having a go and skewing the results. That's my take on it from a brief glance, I'm probably way off.. :D

Very true, I was thinking the same myself.

Also, I was reading a document from their site and I got the impression that the inductive reasoning is aimed moreso at senior managerial level and graduate recruitment. Obviously very different from Garda recruitment, which may mean the actual test will differ to the sample (such as was the case with the cut-e tests).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SNOOP22

My friend came 5th in Stage 1! Hopefully that gives him a good chance in stage 2!!

SNOOP22 wrote: »
    My friend came 5th in Stage 1! Hopefully that gives him a good chance in stage 2!!

It doesn't count for anything in Stage 2 but obviously he has a great chance after doing so well.

I wasn't nervous about Stage 1, the test or the results but I'm definitely feeling it a bit now.

I didn't really tell anyone I was doing the first one but now that I've told people I've gotten through, I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure!

It doesn't count for anything in Stage 2 but obviously he has a great chance after doing so well.

I wasn't nervous about Stage 1, the test or the results but I'm definitely feeling it a bit now.

I didn't really tell anyone I was doing the first one but now that I've told people I've gotten through, I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure!

A bit of nerves are no harm though imo! Just as long as you're not bricking it, a few nerves might help rather hinder :D

A bit of nerves are no harm though imo! Just as long as you're not bricking it, a few nerves might help rather hinder :D

Nah I'm not 'bricking it', just a little nervous, probably more about the expectation than the actual test... :/ ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Guys..
    For stage 2 practice tests do we need to register on the site itself ?
    After the site being down last night, is this new ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 carrig4life

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Guys..
    For stage 2 practice tests do we need to register on the site itself ?
    After the site being down last night, is this new ?

Yup, you gotta register, it only take a couple of minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

any1 else find that the prep website is very poor? it ask me to sign everytime I decide to take another test.

Also I know these tests may not be exactly aimed at us but wow are they allot tougher than the e-cut tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Yup, you gotta register, it only take a couple of minutes

Thank You Carrig.
    Janey mac....they are unreal aren't they ?
    I got 2.55. It said proficient...well I defo don't feel proficient anyway.

I still had 7 mins to answer but some of them it was a case of I haven't a clue so ehh einey meiny miney mo -click !!!

• Advertisement

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Thank You Carrig.
    Janey mac....they are unreal aren't they ?
    I got 2.55. It said proficient...well I defo don't feel proficient anyway.

I still had 7 mins to answer but some of them it was a case of I haven't a clue so ehh einey meiny miney mo -click !!!

They certainly aren't easy.

How have folks being doing in general?

Advertisement