Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be highlights?

Just checked and it looks like tg4 should have highlights at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

For Munster I'd see

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan
    3) White
    4) Dillane
    5) Marshall
    6) Muldoon
    7) Masterson
    8) McKeon (or the reverse for 7/8)
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    11) one of Healy/Poolman/Parata/Carr
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) TOH
    15) Leader
    16) JHW
    17) Loughney
    18) Bealham
    19) Browne
    20) Naoupu
    21) Porter
    22) Ronaldson
    23) Niyi/McSharry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    For Munster I'd see

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan
    3) White
    4) Dillane
    5) Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) McKeon
    8) Masterson
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    11)Healy
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) Parata
    15)TOH
    16) JHW
    17) Loughney
    18) Bealham
    19) Browne
    20) O'Brien
    21) Porter
    22) Ronaldson
    23) Poolman

My XXIII vs Munster

wp_rathead wrote: »
    My XXIII vs Munster

Of course I hope Healy will be back, as you do...
    Muldowney vs Browne vs Marshall are very tight calls to make...
    Parata ahead of Leader I disagree...

Of course I hope Healy will be back, as you do...
    Muldowney vs Browne vs Marshall are very tight calls to make...
    Parata ahead of Leader I disagree...

Well Browne (bloody Hand) and Marshall went off injured so shall see if they fit next week
    Parata is on fire so can't drop him
    Leader can be 23 if Poolman not fit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

For Munster I'd see

1) Buckley
    2) Heffernan
    3) White
    4) Dillane
    5) Marshall
    6) Muldoon
    7) Masterson
    8) McKeon (or the reverse for 7/8)
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    11) one of Healy/Poolman/Parata/Carr
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) TOH
    15) Leader
    16) JHW
    17) Loughney
    18) Bealham
    19) Browne
    20) Naoupu
    21) Porter
    22) Ronaldson
    23) Niyi/McSharry

Your a ticket connachta :-). Any opportunity to get leader in at full back :-)

flouncer wrote: »
    Your a ticket connachta :-). Any opportunity to get leader in at full back :-)

You got me... I was sure you'd have spotted this in my team;)

in all honesty i agree with wpratheads team. I'm delighted for rory in that he is getting the opportunity. But then there is the other side where darragh has done little wrong but is likely outside the 23. Its such fine margins. I did post that I thought that mckeon/nepia/masterson would be my considered back row pairing. Then you have to consider john muldoon, george, heenan and the up and comers. Connacht may be good times for the fans at the moment. It is not fun for the players. hugely competitive

just looking at highlights on tg4 - jaysus looked like Henshaw scored what would have been our 4th try...
    farce how no TMO at this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

just looking at highlights on tg4 - jaysus looked like Henshaw scored what would have been our 4th try...
    farce how no TMO at this game

Hard to see if he lost it when tackled from that angle. Was disallowed for a knock on.
    You have to assume the AR clearly saw the ball go forward on the ground.
    But yes it's a farce there is no TMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

From looking at them at the time they were obviously guessing for Henshaw's try. I think what Henshaw was doing was putting down the ball to go again like after a tackle but the tackle hadn't taken place.

if i were to give a synopsis of the irish commentary. Boss reddan or marmion. Marmion wins that. Sexton got a right bollicking, jack here ya go. i really like the shape of the back line. only concern is we were bossed in the pack again. what is going on there. now i aint a huge rodney fan but i really think nathan may be the weakest link?

Anyway 8 points not converted by Brive with the tee, so it could have been worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

if i were to give a synopsis of the irish commentary. Boss reddan or marmion. Marmion wins that. Sexton got a right bollicking, jack here ya go. i really like the shape of the back line. only concern is we were bossed in the pack again. what is going on there. now i aint a huge rodney fan but i really think nathan may be the weakest link?

Pack struggled early on but at scrum time came into it. Once again our maul defence is a worry. I'd love to see Rodney come back in. Finlay Bealham has improved in my eyes and I don't worry as much about him but we could do with Rodney back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Pack struggled early on but at scrum time came into it. Once again our maul defence is a worry. I'd love to see Rodney come back in. Finlay Bealham has improved in my eyes and I don't worry as much about him but we could do with Rodney back.

It's swings and roundabouts though really. Rodney has his strengths but he can also be a penalty machine, particularly if he's having a bad day at the scrum.

Bazzo wrote: »
    It's swings and roundabouts though really. Rodney has his strengths but he can also be a penalty machine, particularly if he's having a bad day at the scrum.

my biggest bone of contention with Rodney, penalties. as you say swings and roundabouts but his loss is very obvious also

Apparently Fox is ACL injury and Browne hand injury may require surgery, plus think Marshall went off with possible concussion so, add in Poolman pulling up with a tight hamstring pre game, and it was a pretty costly win tonight..

Roux currently does his last recovery week though, doesn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

No issue. We are stronger in every single department other than stander. He is a class act.

The surest way to guarantee your team a spanking is to make comments like this.

Munster's second row is about ten orders of magnitude better than Connacht's.
    Half back?!
    Assuming the wings are Zebo and Earls, not much debate there either, regardless of who Connacht pick.

Munster will be heavy favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

The surest way to guarantee your team a spanking is to make comments like this.

Munster's second row is about ten orders of magnitude better than Connacht's.
    Half back?!
    Assuming the wings are Zebo and Earls, not much debate there either, regardless of who Connacht pick.

Munster will be heavy favourites.

Murray is obviously better and the second row partnership is excellent.
    Keatley is terrible and Munsters back play is non existent. Connachts back line is far superior this season.
    The pack contest will be close. Munster without possibly both hookers swings the front row contest in Connachts favor.

Connachts style of play is much better and it'll cause Munster serious problems. No way Munster are 'heavy' favorites. This match is gonna be extremely close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I think the game last night was the best we've played all season,\\ive been at most of the home games and the error count was well down last night,

this squad if left alone by the IRFU are really going to go places.

hylights last night for me were,

1. though locks did v well,
    good to see JHRback,

Marshall looked V good before he went off,

Backrow 3 very good,

Cartys confidence looked up,

O donnell scrummaging inside the 22 with Brieve attaching Hon Sligo

What's impressive this season is that, even with our 3 locks injured (Roux, Browne and Marshall) we are still able to send a pairing of equivalent quality to Thomond Park (Dillane/Muldowney). Close to the bone (just SOB 2.0 and Naoupu as backups), but for now, there's no drop-off in the level of the starters game after game.

with Fox out we have several choices for openside flanker

1) McKeon, favourite for most of you, but disappointing as 7 last season, not quick enough
    2) Masterson, my own choice, started his career here on a green jersey 2 years ago against Scarlets, would fit in well in a back-row with experienced Naoupu (or McKeon)/Muldoon pairing at 8/6
    3) James Connolly, not that young, 23 in April, played 7 in Siberia, why not
    4) Rush Heenan back, after all he was expected to be back in October... But we all know what happened when the staff did this last season
    5) Heffernan, clear outsider, but covered here yesterday, and is an ex-backrow
    6) Rory Moloney, rookie at professional level, but international U20

1) McKeon, favourite for most of you, but disappointing as 7 last season, not quick enough
    2) Masterson, my own choice, started his career here on a green jersey 2 years ago against Scarlets, would fit in well in a back-row with experienced Naoupu (or McKeon)/Muldoon pairing at 8/6
    4) Rush Heenan back, after all he was expected to be back in October... But we all know what happened when the staff did this last season

Do most people favour McKeon at 7 over Masterson? Personally I'd agree with you that Masterson is the better 7, I think 8 is McKeon's strongest position by far and while it is probably Masterson's too, he seems versatile enough to play well anywhere in the back row.

6: Muldoon
    7: Masterson
    8: McKeon

For me.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

I'd put Masterson in. Though long term is he a 6/7/8. ?
    Also I haven't seen any matches in the last 2 weeks how is carthy playing. Is pat's confidence in playing him starting to pay off ?

Do most people favour McKeon at 7 over Masterson? Personally I'd agree with you that Masterson is the better 7, I think 8 is McKeon's strongest position by far and while it is probably Masterson's too, he seems versatile enough to play well anywhere in the back row.

For me.

And Naoupu for 20? or Connolly?

And Naoupu for 20? or Connolly?

It's a tough one. I'd probably give it to Naoupu. Connolly has looked promising but we know that George is capable. I'm all for getting younger lads involved but this is a huge game for us and I think in this case the conservative choice is best.

For me.

It's much of a muchness, I just remember McKeon played alot of 7 last season and didn't look out of place.
    I also prefer Masterson at 8 on our scrums.
    Wouldn't have an issue with Masterson 7 though..

would it be worth exploring James Connolly at 7?

Stan27 wrote: »
    I'd put Masterson in. Though long term is he a 6/7/8. ?
    Also I haven't seen any matches in the last 2 weeks how is carthy playing. Is pat's confidence in playing him starting to pay off ?

Masterson natural position is an 8 for me- that said he could be great replacement for Muldoon at 6 in few years

Carty has been playing brilliant this season imo - unfortunately his place kicking can still be off but his tactical kicking has improved and his distribution deserves special mention. Healy got alot of praise for TOH's try vs Edinburgh but Carty's inside pass in that set play was thing of beauty

would it be worth exploring James Connolly at 7?

Yes it's my 3rd choice, 3 posts up in this topic..
    Watching the Siberian game again, and can't wait to see Muldowney/Dillane pairing once more. Especially the last one, such a beast, such a good lineout catcher

• Advertisement

actually didn't McKeon go off injured as well?
    Might have to start Connolly at 7 or George 8 and Masterson 7..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement