Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Wifi speaker working

• 10-12-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just got a Wifi DLNA enabled speaker. It's up on my network and my PC can see it. I can right click on a media file and select "cast to" and this does work. However I'd like to use the speaker as if its a normal speaker, i.e. when playing youtube videos or movies the video is on my laptop screen but the audio goes to my new speaker. I can't seem to figure out how to get the new speaker to appear as a regular audio output in my devices.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

If your using WMP (play to in windows) forget playing anything other MP3 or WMA to stream to the DNLA player. If its OGG/FLAC etc try FOOBAR.

The Youtube you could try Plex or Twonky to stream video (audio).

~Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

akaSol wrote: »
    If your using WMP (play to in windows) forget playing anything other MP3 or WMA to stream to the DNLA player. If its OGG/FLAC etc try FOOBAR.

The Youtube you could try Plex or Twonky to stream video (audio).

~Sol

Thanks a mil Sol, but what exactly do i click on to get wmp to do the stream? Will have a look at the other suggestions for youtube

kelbal wrote: »
    Thanks a mil Sol, but what exactly do i click on to get wmp to do the stream? Will have a look at the other suggestions for youtube

If its on the network it should come up as a receivable source , so right click the mp3(s) select "Play to" and the select the speaker. LINK

~Sol

akaSol wrote: »
    If its on the network it should come up as a receivable source , so right click the mp3(s) select "Play to" and the select the speaker. LINK

~Sol

Guess you're on windows 7? I'm on Windows 10, and its called "Cast to device" instead. The problem with this is that it sends the whole stream to the device - so if I'm trying to play a video file (.avi for example) the audio plays on the speaker fine, but the video doesn't show on my laptop

2q86p7d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Guess you're on windows 7? I'm on Windows 10, and its called "Cast to device" instead. The problem with this is that it sends the whole stream to the device - so if I'm trying to play a video file (.avi for example) the audio plays on the speaker fine, but the video doesn't show on my laptop

2q86p7d.jpg

You got codecs installed for video on Win 10?

Try VLC if you don't

• Advertisement

2q86p7d.jpg

The biggest issue is dnla. In this case it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do : play audio.
    I suppose you could create a unified audio+video file in VLC, using the desktop to play video but audio be sent to the player. Or create two instances of the AVI one to stream , one to watch. In this case your highly likely to get delay.

~Sol

Sounds quite tricky! I did find an app called Jamcast which works to an extent, but there's a delay of about 2 seconds between the video and the audio which is useless. I thought this would have been straightforward enough:ermm:

Advertisement