Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Dropout

Options
  • 13-01-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

After 2,5 years of doing college I started to feel that I want to do something else in my life which is not related to the course I am doing. I am on Back To Education Allowance. Despite the fact I feel horrible at college and with the impression that keep doing it leads me to nowhere, it's still hard to make that final decision.

I am wondering how it will affect my payments if I drop out from the college? What I mean is, will I be getting Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance to survive until I find any job? Signing in is not an issue because I am not going to move out from where I live.

Do they ask at Social Welfare why you dropped out and could they not give me any financial support if they decide that my reason to drop out was not "good enough" ?

I will appreciate any kind of advice.

Best Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Meerkat.com

Hiya!

I was doing nursing for 2.5 years and dropped out just before Christmas.

"A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered."

From this I gather that if you drop out, you will not be allowed back on the BTEA scheme to do another course in the future apart from special circumstances like illness,pregnancy etc.. They may also consider making you pay back the allowance you were given. You can sign back on for jobseekers allowance straight away.

It's a lot to consider however if you're not happy in a course there is no point in doing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

How do you think dropping out of the course is going to look on your CV?

You've gone so far it would be best to keep going to complete it. You may be able to use this qualification to transfer into a more suitable course post graduation.

Even if you don't think you'll ever use the qualification you'd be better off completing.

Put all thoughts of not completing out of your mind. Do the mature thing and finish. THEN move on.

Advertisement