Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

great first clay competition

• 20-04-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Big thanks to islandeady gun club for a great time at my first proper clay comp. Did really good at DTL and springing teal, but sporting clays was one the finest examples of woeful marksmanship ever seen by mankind! :) still and all, a mighty time was had and can't wait for the next one in two weeks. It was also nice to do well on my first outing against the lads with ten grand perrazzis with my 60 year old AYA side-by-side that I got for 259 quid!!!
    I'll be bringing some friends next time!
    LR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well done. I always wanted to try one but never bothered. What was the standard like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I thought the standard was pretty good but then again I only had myself as a comparison! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Longranger wrote: »
    .....Did really good at DTL and springing teal, but sporting clays was one the finest examples of woeful marksmanship ever seen by mankind! :).......
    LR

Well done, be careful you don't become addicted:D.....
    My I offer some unsolicited advice, you did well on DTL and Springing Teal but poor on sporting, this may be due to ( I am bracing myself for a deluge of comments) that your gun had reasonably tight chokes - Mod / IMod , IMod / Full or any variation from Mod on. These combinations are perfect for longer shots on DTL or ST. Where Skeet / IC or IC / Mod are perfect for most sporting set ups that are closer in.
    You will still be able to shoot sporting with your set up but will need to revaluate your technique for those closer shots.

Any how, well done again and keep dusting them......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Well done, be careful you don't become addicted:D.....
    My I offer some unsolicited advice, you did well on DTL and Springing Teal but poor on sporting, this may be due to ( I am bracing myself for a deluge of comments) that your gun had reasonably tight chokes - Mod / IMod , IMod / Full or any variation from Mod on. These combinations are perfect for longer shots on DTL or ST. Where Skeet / IC or IC / Mod are perfect for most sporting set ups that are closer in.
    You will still be able to shoot sporting with your set up but will need to revaluate your technique for those closer shots.

Any how, well done again and keep dusting them......

Thanks for the tip,you were right on the money. My AYA is fixed choke mod/full. I went at it again today and tried my 870 with a cylinder choke and the difference was unreal! Think I'll use the remmy from now on and just stick a couple of tubes in my pocket. I can see now why it's so addictive. Went through a full slab of olympics today and just got in the door with two more of them! Roll on the weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Nice one,

Don't compete myself but do love a round of clays. I shoot with a semi and use 3/4 (IMod) for DTL and IC for sporting with good effect.
    Don't put you Aya under too much pressure on the clay ground and someone else will be using it in 60 years time.

Safe shooting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement